Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Black Squares around 3d lights OrbxGlobal during daylight.

I use DX10 for all my day flying and DX9 for my night flying. Today on my approach into KSFO I noticed all these black squares which I'm guessing are street lamps. I thought that the lighting in global was supposed to be DX10 compatible and I thought it turned off in the day apparently not since I'm getting these black squares everywhere. If the lights are always active I guess that would explain my 4-5 FPS loss since installing global. To get my sim at halfway decent frames again I've had to lower my FTF to .15 and everything is pretty blurry till I get right on it. The textures look nice but I thought Orbx said the lights worked with DX10? 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Today on my approach into KSFO I noticed all these black squares which I'm guessing are street lamps.

These are the famous Orbx black lights which emits long wave (UV-A) ultraviolet light and not much visible light. Apparently Orbx's John Venema is a big fan of blacklight posters and decided that FSX could benefit from these lights as well. :huh:

That explains the tan I got from flying over them

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I use DX10 for all my day flying and DX9 for my night flying. Today on my approach into KSFO I noticed all these black squares which I'm guessing are street lamps. I thought that the lighting in global was supposed to be DX10 compatible and I thought it turned off in the day apparently not since I'm getting these black squares everywhere. If the lights are always active I guess that would explain my 4-5 FPS loss since installing global. To get my sim at halfway decent frames again I've had to lower my FTF to .15 and everything is pretty blurry till I get right on it. The textures look nice but I thought Orbx said the lights worked with DX10? 

Have you been on the ORBX forum as there has been a lot of discussion about the lighting problems? Here is one possible fix, which I'm not sure will fix your lighting problem or not, but, no harm in trying.

Navigate to FSX Scenery Global Scenery directory: Example .... C:\FSX\Scenery\Global\scenery, then, rename the file 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.BGL to 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.BGL.BAK.

Here's a link to a blog, from Steve ???? that you can click on the link "DX10 fixes download from AVSIM library". http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/ and see if that makes any difference. I haven't applied his fixes yet, so I'm not sure if it will help.

I don't have the same light problem as you, I have the problem of car lights being black squares at some, not all, airports. I don't have the black squares for street lights. I just started messing around flying in DX10 mode so I don't have very much experience with this.

Hope you get it working.

Rod

Rod Beck

The textures look nice but I thought Orbx said the lights worked with DX10? 

Yes they did, but the new lights were not tested with DX10.

There is a fix by Steve Parsons but not yet released.

or in the meantime you can disable the new 3D lights by doing this:

Workaround

There is a simple temporary workaround for DX10 users which disables the lights altogether. This is not great for night flights but until we release an official fix this will have to do and at least allow daytime flights.

1. In your FSX/P3D root folder, navigate to the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder

2. Rename the 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.bgl file to 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.OFF

EDIT: Rod posted while I was typing.

Cheers.

Thanks guys Ill wait for the dx10 fixer from steve

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Old thread, but FTXG is new to me...

This fix does not apply to the Vector lights as far as I can tell. Is there an equivalent file(s) which will enable/disable the Vector lighting?

Also, rather than renaming the file, I moved it to it's own scenery folder so I could simply enable or disable night lighting by turning it on/off in scenery. Seems to work like a charm!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)