Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Major Frames Problem

Hope somebody can help me out. How can I have a perfectly running sim with a smooth constant 30 FPS one day and the next time I fire up fsx my FPS has dropped to 0.6 FPS and completely unflyable. I've tried a clean cfg file, reinstalled drivers (320.18 which I've been using for age's) reg clean etc, etc, hopefully someone can help me out here

Cheers Rod.

Check for viruses, is your overclock stable? Do a registry scan and fix. System maintainance is very important despite the fact you won't notice the difference at first glance. But for the future it might prevent these kind of issues.

On the other hand, FSX, as a program, is just ######. So even if you have a system that runs everything very stable, you might still have these issues in FSX for absolutely no reason. 

30 to 0.6 FPS is quite the drop...  :O

I would check that there aren't any background processes hogging all the available CPU and RAM. Also make sure the CPU or GPU aren't throttling due to excessive heat, for example if a fan stopped working or a heatsink is clogged up with dust.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If it's coming and going independent of what/where you're flying, it suggests an issue outside of FSX. Do you have something running/updating in the background? Try a program like Alacrity PC to kill nonessential services.

This will happen if you have a lot of scenery installed.  The more installed, the likelihood FSX will be spending time loading the scenery in the background.  Try to disable all of your commercial addon scenery except the scenery you will be using during a flight.  I have done this using a utility I found on the Internet called, SceneryConfigEditor.  With that program I can deactivate every scenery that won't be needed during a particular flightplan.  I don't use the program to activate or deactivate Orbx/FTX stuff though or any of the default scenery.   

I don't think you should get too concerned if your fps vary from one day to another.  It's only when they stay at 6 fps where concern should begin. There are no computer tweaks that are going to fix a 6 fps issue.  You need to adjust your fsx settings and display driver settings until you get a fair balance.  If you do have a lot of scenery addons and you are flying around areas known to be difficult on frames (like Aerosoft Manhattan or London), disabling the scenery that won't be used will be a major plus.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks guy's for the advise but yes I do have a lot of addons eg: FTXG, UTX, UK2000, REX and so on and have never seen this happen before, so I found an old cfg file that I had stashed away and reinserted that one and bingo back to 30fps and now smooth again but the confusing thing about the issue is that if I let fsx create a clean cfg file it's then that it gose besurk which has left me a little bewilded, as it seems that there's something happening to the cfg rebuild process, doing a complete hard drive scan for viris's and will retry.

Cheers Rod.

This will happen if you have a lot of scenery installed. The more installed, the likelihood FSX will be spending time loading the scenery in the background. Try to disable all of your commercial addon scenery except the scenery you will be using during a flight.

Have never experienced that a lot of scenery takes down FPS. Have everything Orbx has released to date, every aerosoft airport, every UTX addon, ES sceneries, ++a lot of airports from other devs.

I have never needed to disable anything in the scenery library, if that was necessary during every flight it would have drived me nuts and I would have left this hobby a long time ago..

Here here Kaboki as over the years have rebuilt the cfg file lost count and never seen this before, it's not that it's going from 30 to 0.6 it's just stuck at 0.6 if I do a cfg rebuild, but at the moment the old one is a constant 30

Cheers Rod.

Here here Kaboki as over the years have rebuilt the cfg file lost count and never seen this before, it's not that it's going from 30 to 0.6 it's just stuck at 0.6 if I do a cfg rebuild, but at the moment the old one is a constant 30

I let FSX rebuild the .cfg file once after reading that at avsim it could fix things, and that screwed up FSX so much that it would not start again. I will never try that again.

If the old file you have is getting you constant 30 FPS then why not just use it?

Well I was under the understanding that after a while I mean a long while and especially after installing major texture set's, aircraft and the like that a rebuild may just put everything in it"s right place and clean it all up, maybe I'm wrong, which I haven't had the problem before It's just struck me as something new to me and strange to say the least.

Cheers Rod.

As a matter of interest, whenever I have rebuilt the FSX cfg , I have ALWAYS had worse performance. Also, I have tested turning off ALL scenery in the FSX library, except for where I'm flying of course, and again, I have seen no improvement whatsoever. Only my own personal experience however...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have almost every MegaSceneryEarth V2 State installed (but not activated).  This happened to me with MSE (and to others).  I suspect my suggestion only applies to photoscenery or you all have a more powerful computer than I have.  Regarding Aerosoft.  These were my experiences.  Flying over Aerosoft London or Manhattan was not frame rate friendly and the experiences were okay as I could still fly around the areas but the fps suffered. 

Glad the OP was able to find the solution to his problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10