Sign in to follow this  
Don t moderate me this way

Combining new FL with change between manage and pull

Hi Bryan!

Today it looks as if there actually could be an issue for me.   :P

I try to voice command a new ALT/FL for the FCU, combined with a change from OP to managed CLB/DES or the other way round - no love: All I get is the new ALT, but not the new mode, even though the Green Bar tells me my combined command is recognized.

As long as I issue two separate commands (ALT change first, mode change next) it works perfectly.

Any more reports on the same issue or am I missing an important step?

Thanks!

A few more observations:

Tried again with the FS2Crew main panel opened after activating one of the default panel states. The feature started working as advertised. (It also resolved my landing flaps issue as others reported it here.)

Don't know what exactly triggered this change (a step climb, maybe?): After a few more minutes into my flight the vertical mode issue re-appeared.

One more detail to note: I spoke the 'manage' (or the 'pull' respectively) after the FL change and even though the Green Bar message included this 'extension', my F/O read  back the shortened command only (the FL change, but not the 'manage'/'pull'):

olli4740: 'Flight level 250 manage'

Green Bar: 'Flight level 250 manage'

F/O Action: 'Flight level 250'

F/O readback: 'Flight level 250'

Still the same flight, some more minutes later, altitudes instead of FLs used, now it's working again flawlessly?

(The F/O never reads back the 'manage' or 'pull', even though I witnessed him a couple of times complying to the mode changes.)

Tried again with the FS2Crew main panel opened after activating one of the default panel states.

Yes, please do it that way.

Still the same flight, some more minutes later, altitudes instead of FLs used, now it's working again flawlessly?

Glad you got it working.  FSX can be a funny beast at times :-)

One more detail to note: I spoke the 'manage' (or the 'pull' respectively) after the FL change and even though the Green Bar message included this 'extension', my F/O read  back the shortened command only (the FL change, but not the 'manage'/'pull'):

That's correct, he won't read back 'pull' or 'manage'.  He just reads the short version.

As the PF, you should call out the associated mode change on the PFD though, although nothing bad will happen if you don't.

I agree, Bryan, This small/secondary/transient issue enforces two rules of good airmanship:

1) Know your FMA at all times.

2) Check entries (like new ALT) before activating them (push/pull ALT knob).

I may add that this FS2Crew edition has a far greater impact on my simming than I expected (regarding that the AAX brings its own checklists and its own copilot/cabin crew/ground crew):

- expanded flows and C/Ls

- more options

- special procedures like de-icing and RTOs

- closed loops including a subtle sense of humour ("Are you sure about that?")

The voice command feature also makes me look into stuff like VoxATC.

Thanks a bunch, Bryan - standing by now for the T7 edition ...   B)