Sign in to follow this  
bmaik

Change Cruise Altitude

Hi all,

can anyone tell me how VOX ATC chooses the cruise level it assigns and how I can change it inflight? I usually use FS Commander to build my flight plan and load it into FSX. My preferred aircraft is the PMDG 747-8i.I usually choose my flight level to optimally suit the current weight of the aircraft and perform ICAO-step climbs during flight. However, VOX ATC doesn't let me do this. It assigns me cruise level FL 370, and I request FL 290 (because I've just departed Rio on a 10h transatlantic flight to Lisbon and am quite heavy!) and according to my weight a FL 290 would be optimal). Vox ATC lets me descend to FL 290 but upon reaching FL 290 immediately commands me back to FL370. The strange thing is that there is no difference between the two built-in options "Request lower" and " Request cruise altitude". I thought the latter would let me to change the cruise level permanently but this seems not to be the case.

Thanks for your help.

Hi bmaik,

I have the same experience.

Vox doesn't let me choose a FL when I request higher making proper step climbing impossible.

I would be interested to know if somebody found a way to do it.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

When you program your route  you need to set the correct cruize altitude to save in FSX plan format, VOX ATC assign the one set in FSX plan.

Francesco cattaneo

Hi Francesco,

the OP's (and my) problem is that there is not one correct altitude but several depending on the changing weight of the a/c.

So on long haul flights step climbing is necessary. Preferably in small steps of, say, 2000ft (just to comply with the odd/even - east/west rule).

Is it possible in Vox?

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

I suggest you email the developer and ask.  He usually responds fairly quickly.  

I agree with Andreas: if fixing the cruise altitude in the FSX-plan, as soon as you start stepping away from it, VoxATC tries to command you back to the initial cruise alitude and keeps bothering you all the cruise phase of the flight to get back to this initially set altitude, what a pity!

bmaik

I emailed the developer. Let's see what the answer is.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

What if the FSX plan includes the final altitude instead of the first?

Then you just kind of pause at a lower altitudes before reaching the final altitude. I know it isn't perfect, but it is better than the nagging :)

Helge Rasmussen

"Then you just kind of pause at a lower altitudes before reaching the final altitude."

I'm not sure Vox lets you do this. It assigns increasing altitudes until you get at the final altitude you set in FSX.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Ok, I got the answer from the developer:

Is it possible to ask for a specific altitude?

"Not in the current version I'm afraid. A feature for a future release I think."

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

I just think the Virtual ATC guys smoke some good stuff from time to time.  My flight from Baltimore to Tampa today was filed for FL360 but the pretty young thing in center for Atlanta was like "Head on up to FL480 and then into orbit"   Or at least that's how I translated the altitude change.   The 737NGX cannot operate at 480.    Maybe they didn't get the memo?    It doesn't happen often but when it does I just chuckle and ignore their pleas to send me into orbit.   Eventually you'll start getting the descend requests.    I don't know why it sets these ridiculous altitudes from time to time when my flight plan has a clearly set flight level set.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

...?...

I don't understand the problem I guess... I just key up and say "Landmark 272 request flight level 240" or whatever altitude I need. I either get moved to that altitude or I get "Landmark 272, unable at this time.

Bao

I'm not able to verify that because I'm not using Vox theses days.

When I asked the developer about it he just replied

"Not in the current version I'm afraid. A feature for a future release I think." (post #10 above)

Perhaps you discovered something ...

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Hi, I just tried a request to atc to go higher "Alaska 22 request flight level 180" reply was" Alaska 22 climb flight level 180"

Perfect!

I wonder what other things we can do by just asking?

Regards Mike

Hi, I just tried a request to atc to go higher "Alaska 22 request flight level 180" reply was" Alaska 22 climb flight level 180"

Perfect!

I wonder what other things we can do by just asking?

Regards Mike

Then it looks like the developer doesn't know what his application is capable of doing.

Try asking for a "direct to waypoint"!

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller