Sign in to follow this  
fsxflyer

2D Cockpit.?

Sure, no problem.

And I am interested in knowing what others use to fly visually and at the same time keep an eye on their instruments.

Maybe others just dont care too much about being close to stalling or over the flap plackard speed.

That is fine too. Anyone should do as they please with FSX.

That is not me though.

maybe some have become so used to changing their view back and forth with something like ezydock or Trackir that it is no problem anymore. Maybe I just need more practice with my TrackIR.

Or some other solution I have not thought of that explains why nobody seems to use more than one monitor.

I am realy surprised to see how many use just one monitor!

(of course I do understand that cost is a big factor too)

I am open to suggestions, but so far I find my solution works pretty good, as long as some 2D pop up panels are provided.

Rob Robson

And I am interested in knowing what others use to fly visually and at the same time keep an eye on their instruments.

I'm like you, I keep the instruments on a second monitor below my "outside view" monitor. I don't know how else you can keep a proper instrument and outside scan looking through a VC on a single monitor. Either you can't see your instruments and have to unrealistically tilt your whole head down with trackIR with its visual lag like you're flying drunk, or you have to be at a zoom less than 1.0 which completely distorts your distance and speed perception (at least compared to a real life view). Maybe this explains all the people online who can't fly an assigned heading, can't line up with the centerline, and land nosewheel first at 200 knots.

That this topic keeps coming up I think shows how many serious simmers rely on the 2D cockpits. Carenado's stopped making 2D panels too and it keeps me from buying their newest aircraft. It's really too bad. Hopefully somebody will make a 2D panel addon for this!

I see "serious simmers" and read that as "people who are resistant to change and want to justify it with realistic terminology."

The VC has everything I need, and I don't have any wizardry to move my view around.

...but sure, let's reopen a pointless conversation that comes up time and time again!

I always enjoy a good debate, along with the public spectacle that this always becomes!

Kyle Rodgers

@ Gabe, Sounds like you don't have TrackIR setup correctly. My only use for 2D popups is the CDU & EICAS

Rob Prest

I use Track IR and can do a quick glance down to the instruments when on final since all I am looking at is airspeed and messages my eyes are out the window using the visual cues. If on instrument approach then I lock my track ir a little lower down and follow the FD. before I had track IR I did the same just by using my hat switch on my yoke to do a quick look down. 

EDIT:

This is ridiculous I still don't know why I posted but it has been up too long to remove. So let me see if I get this right: You want 2d panels so you can look at your instruments and out the window at the same time? how hard is it to hat switch to glance at your instruments?  As for the trend vector, okay that's great on an ILS but you should be able to use your visual cues when the weather is not poor to notice that you are not lined up on the rwy. if you watch the videos of pilots flying from the C152 up to the 777 they look at the instruments very rarely. I believe the true reason here is that you have two monitors now and you don't know what to do with the second one.

Enough of this - we crossed this bridge a very long time ago, there is no full 2D panel, nor will there be in the future.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com