Sign in to follow this  
rp1

MCP font - the 6

Hi,

having watched some of the beta videos there is one tiny thing I've noticed: the number 6 on the MCP is not the same that can be seen on RW photos or videos. Could it be software version related or even customer option?

See http://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia-Airlines/Boeing-777-2H6-ER/0278843/ for example.

I hope you guys won't consider this as rivet counting :)

Regards,

Robert

Could it be software version related or even customer option?

It could be a software upgrade that occured after the pictures were taken depending on the date.

I hope you guys won't consider this as rivet counting

I see it as a legitimate question. Now if you were indicating that the screws on the overhead panel in the sim are 0.00000000000001 inches smaller than the ones in the real bird, then that would be rivet counting...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I see it as a legitimate question. Now if you were indicating that the screws on the overhead panel in the sim are 0.00000000000001 inches smaller than the ones in the real bird, then that would be rivet counting...

I agree.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I think that was a fair observation. For example, pre-NGX release even in beta they went back and re-made the font for the HGS. The result was more work and time but it was much more realistic. In the 777 alpha someone said the forward window center was the wrong color, and they changed it.

I think the whole MCP display font differ from the real plane the most. The real MCP has much thicker, bolder digits filling up the display window while PMDG's font is pretty thin.

I think the whole MCP display font differ from the real plane the most. The real MCP has much thicker, bolder digits filling up the display window while PMDG's font is pretty thin.

Though I can not attest to the actual engineering of the MCP unit, we might be reminded that there are various brightness settings for the displays and that cameras have different shutter speeds, apertures, etc. for different photographs. This can make photographs look more vivid or dull than what the eye sees. Good examples are shots taken with long shutter speeds at night, where light seems to glow from the source. This could be what we see in the photographs we see online.

According to this thread they are aware of the issue and plan to fix it but it will not make the initial release.

Great video Luke.

Do you know if they're still working on a fix for the font at the MCP-number [6] ? Or will that be done in SP1?

Won't make the initial release, sorry.

John Sturm

The NGX has got the same thing. The 6 is as far as I have seen correct, but the nine is not.

In the NGX it looks like:
 __
|__|
 __|

In the real world it looks like:
 __
|__|
     | 

Same story probably goes for the 9 (and the 6) in the 777.

I am going to guess that it is not overly simple to change the font on the MCP. This is probably why it wont make the initial release. Also, you can most likely bet that there are other fixes that are priority and probably have more to do with the functionality of the aircraft rather than "smaller" cosmetic fixes like MCP font. 

Good spot nonetheless, Robert. I would assume that PMDG will address this in a service pack or two from the initial release. 

Cheers.

We know about this - it's minor and we're not holding up the release for it. Will be fixed in SP1.

Makes sense to me. 

We know about this - it's minor and we're not holding up the release for it. Will be fixed in SP1.

OP: If you're still around, you may want to consider marking this one as "answered."

Walter Meier

OP: If you're still around, you may want to consider marking this one as "answered."

Done!