Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

EFB on iPad

A second monitor would be the ideal solution but I don't really have space for a second monitor, although I could probably make room for a small one if I tried hard!

My understanding however is that you can't run FSX in full screen mode on a two monitor setup, is this correct? Windowed mode just kills the immersion for me...

You need two monitors .. even for daily work.

I have 2 PC and they both have 2 monitors.

If one of my monitors failed I would stop what I was doing and go buy another one.

Once you have used a two monitor setup ... well, I am sure you would like it.

What is the cost now .. maybe $90 US for a nice flat screen.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I thought it was normal for the sound to stop on fsx if you are running windowed mode then click into another window (ie Firefox)

There is an app to fix that too, its called "Soundstream" sold by Flight1. Sounds made by external sound modules like you get with some aircraft like the NGX will still be muted when FS loses focus, but all the rest of the sounds coming from FS still play. Don't buy it if you are on P3D though, its already a built in feature, it just needs turning on. But yes the sound muting when a program loses focus is not unique to FS, programs have to be specifically programed not to mute when minimised or out of focus and FS wasn't.

Cheers, Andy.

Oh Ok it that what its doing. I cant press stuff on my ipad and use the mouse in FSX at the same time either, is that related to the same thing?

You need two monitors .. even for daily work.

I have 2 PC and they both have 2 monitors.

If one of my monitors failed I would stop what I was doing and go buy another one.

Once you have used a two monitor setup ... well, I am sure you would like it.

What is the cost now .. maybe $90 US for a nice flat screen.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah that's why I'm definitely leaning towards the two monitor setup now I've considered it!

I want both to match and the monitor I have is about £100/$150 but I think it will be a whole new experience and really worth it!

At the moment I task switch about 20 times during a long flight for maps, charts, web browsing or similar activities, will be great to not have to 'leave the cockpit' as it were!

Oh Ok it that what its doing. I cant press stuff on my ipad and use the mouse in FSX at the same time either, is that related to the same thing?

The mouse pointer moves to the iPad virtual monitor when you press stuff on it via Air Display thus FS is losing focus, you have to move your mouse pointer back to the FS screen and click somewhere in it before your mouse and keyboard will work in FS again.

Cheers, Andy.

Yeah it's just simulating a second monitor on the iPad

The mouse pointer moves to the iPad virtual monitor when you press stuff on it via Air Display thus FS is losing focus, you have to move your mouse pointer back to the FS screen and click somewhere in it before your mouse and keyboard will work in FS again.

Ah Ok I see!

Why don't you buy either of the two EFB's available directly on the iPad appstore: 

FS Kneeboard: http://www.inquisitivegraphics.com/FSKneeboard.html

EFB for iPad:    http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=60

Both allow you to import charts via dropbox. Personally I am using FS Kneeboard although the weather function is quite limited (US-only). But they both do the same thing.

EFB for iPad includes a moving map

FSK includes a nice checklist feature and notepad for writing notes ;-)

Cheers

Can either of those write notes or highlight charts? I use PDFEdit and find it very useful circling in red altitude constraints etc.

I'll give you a quick overview of FS Kneeboard 2 so you can decide for yourself. Below a list with the main tabs in FS Kneeboard 2.

DTP: Includes charts (Airports, SID's, STAR's, IAP) for the US. Charts for other countries have to be imported using Dropbox. This section is split up into Departure, Arrival, and Alternate tabs, each of those having 5 sheets for individual pdf or image files.

IFR/VFR Charts: Includes the complete package for the US (Sectionals, Terminal, Alaska VFR, Alaska IFR, IFR - High, IFR - Low, Carib. IFR) plus additional charts for the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

Weather: Includes TAF/Metars (NOAA), Radar (US only), Satellite (Global), Winds aloft (US), Surface winds (based on Metar, a nice info graphic indicating crosswind and headwind amplitude), PROG charts (US), AIRMET/SIGMET (US)

Checklists: Interactive editable checklists. Additional checklist can be manually created, although this is a bit tedious. Already included are:

• Captain Sim: 707, 727, 757, 767, C130,
  • Real Air Dukes
  • Flight1 ATR-72
  • iFly737NG
  • Leonardo MD80
  • Level-D 767
  • PMDG 737NGX, 747, J-41, MD-11
  • Wilco: 737 PIC, 777, ERJ

Browser: Simply a browser, includes bookmarks to almost all charts website for countries worldwide, practical for using skyvector.com

Notepad: A notepad to write with your fingers or an ipad pen. Includes a blank page, graph paper, craft paper (clr limit, route, alt, freq, transp sections), speed card (Takeoff speed, flaps, t/o weight, v1, vr, v2, approach/landing speeds) (All entries have to be entered manually!)

It also includes the recent Airac Cycle for the US charts section as well as a link to FS Calc which has to be purchased separately.

Although the weather section is limited to the US for the most part and it doesn't have the moving map feature or interactive airport diagrams, I find it quite a help during the hectic phases of flight.

It cannot edit pdf's. I use goodreader for that.

Hope it helps,
Cheers