Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joseph29

Question about blurry repaints

I have a couple of repaints that when you switch from the cockpit view to the spot plane view the textures become blurry. The only way I know how to fix them is to zoom all the way in then zoom back out.

What causes the textures to become blurry and is there anything I can do to spot the blurry textures from happening when switching views??

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This happens because the painter included mipmaps in the textures.

Mipmaps are smaller copies of the texture that are included  in the texture and are intended to reduce CPU workload when displaying objects far away. Trying to render a 1024x1024 pixel texture on an object that only covers a handful of screen pixels wastes PC resources.

You can remove the mipmaps with DXTBmp, which is free and available here- MW Graphics

regards,

Joe

So all I need to do is go through the textures with DXTBmp (which I have used before) and un check where it says "Mipmaps include when saving" then re save the texture?

Hi.

It happens when I press the Alt key too. I believe it only occurs on planes where the texture image is made of several files and has something to do with the (messed up) scaling of each different section.

As Joe wrote, you can work around it by removing the mipmaps (by unchecking). You won't have to strip them from every texture for the plane-- just the ones that blur when you change view.

See here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/399398-model-surface-causing-textures-to-blur/

Cheers,

D