Sign in to follow this  
snickers

A/T on during manual landing

Hi guys, 

My problem is, when i land manual with A/T on, it sometimes won't "retard" during the flare. It worked fine at EDDF, ENGM and it needed a second try at EDDW. It doesn't work at LOWW and LGIR. 

I always selected VREF in the FMC and MCP.

Hope you can help me.

My problem is, when i land manual with A/T on, it sometimes won't "retard" during the flare.

Is your hardware throttle at idle at the time?

Kyle Rodgers

That's a Boeing recommendation, you can use A/T in manual flight if you find it helps. Some airlines do this. However when landing you need to disengage it before flare so you can manually retard the throttles.

ki9cAAb.jpg

That's a Boeing recommendation, you can use A/T in manual flight if you find it helps. Some airlines do this. However when landing you need to disengage it before flare so you can manually retard the throttles.

So sometimes it will work and sometimes not? 

If flying manually It works when you have captured the localiser and the glideslope and the flight directors are on.

So sometimes it will work and sometimes not? 

If flying manually It works when you have captured the localiser and the glideslope and the flight directors are on.

But it doesn't work with VOR DME ...?

The A/T will always work if you select it.  The problem during landing is that it will not automatically retard during flare (this only happens in an autoland). So if flying manually it will try and maintain speed as you flare.  To avoid this disengage the A/T and manually retard the throttles.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The A/T will always work if you select it.  The problem during landing is that it will not automatically retard during flare (this only happens in an autoland). So if flying manually it will try and maintain speed as you flare.  To avoid this disengage the A/T and manually retard the throttles.

And why does it work sometimes without disengage the A/T? Sometimes it automatically retard during flare. Why?

And why does it work sometimes without disengage the A/T? Sometimes it automatically retard during flare. Why?

Hi

as Kevin said it will only retard during flare IF it is an Auto Land .

The auto throttle WILL retard to idle when manually flying, and at least the FD is on and you have captured and tracking the localiser and glideslope. It will not retard for VOR or RNAV approach.

It doesn't have to be an auto land, it can be a hand flown ILS approach, as long as the flight directors are tracking the localiser and glideslope.

You say that the 2 pink bubbles on the FD have to be filled during landing, right? Sorry for the stupid question, but it confuses me.