Sign in to follow this  
uhntissbaby111

Strange crackling sound?

For the second time now I encountered a strange crackling sound, followed by a high pitched beep and a master caution light. I was on the ground at the gate with the short panel state loaded. The only thing I did up to that point is begin the alignment process. Any ideas as to what it was?

Adam

For the second time now I encountered a strange crackling sound, followed by a high pitched beep and a master caution light. I was on the ground at the gate with the short panel state loaded. The only thing I did up to that point is begin the alignment process. Any ideas as to what it was?

Yep.  Intro manual stuff  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

Haha Kyle, to defend myself, I paused for a second right before I pressed post feeling confident that it was something covered in the intro. Even after going through it a few times there are still things missed

Adam

Kyle, I just went through the intro manual trying to find where this is discussed and couldnt find it. Any chance you could point me in the right direction? Thanks

Adam

I've encountered this crackling too. I read through the Introduction manual once before flying the 777 and searched it again after. The only reference to sound problems was sound artifacts after switching views. This is not what's happening to me because I didn't switch views. Of course it's not a big deal for me because I have only experienced it while powering the plane up and I usually just save my flight in a turnaround state.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this is heard in the real aircraft as well and is some kind of speaker test, or similar.

I am 99% sure it isn't an audio artifact, or a problem.

The crackling and feedback is a self test function, so it's perfectly normal. Out of curiosity I looked through the intro doc, couldn't find anything. The quote I found is from the tutorial flight, page 110:

"Finally, you will hear a rather obnoxious sounding microphonic feedback and static sound as the cockpit aural systems test runs."

Yeah, Christoph got it.

I worked with both docs prior to the release and the information contained in both kinda blended together.

Kyle Rodgers

Same thing happened to me, I knew I had read it somewhere. Probably wouldn't hurt to put an additional note into the intro manual though.

Back in my airline days I recall a similiar kind of sound occurring when the pushback crew were plugging in their headset to the aircraft's external comminication port proir to pushback.

well,

i think this beep sound is to loud for my volume setting, as i enjoy the other fine sounds which i could miss because of a to low volume setting, but if it is realistic, it have to stay. ...since it hurt my ears to much iam doing the outside inspection after switching on the ground power.

JG

PMDG-DC-6-banner.jpg