Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

H G S?

Just because you asked about HGS and the guy didn't know, doesn't mean it's a "stupid" pilot.

Ask a Boeing pilot about Airbus flying, or ask an Airbus pilot about Boeing flying, they probably don't know much, because they don't fly on them.

We think real pilots should know all the stuff about other planes, but we forget that they are flying just one type of plane every day, for years. We change planes like socks in  FSX and thats why we know about boeing and airbus and embraer etc. They probably don't come home like us after work, to start FSX and fly, they have been flying all day, they don't need FSX to satisfy their passion and probably they don't know much about FSX.

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

This will be my final response on the matter, as I'd like to clear at least one thing up. Vagabondo - First point I'd like to make, and it's a big one - it isn't, and wasn't my intention to question the professionalism of the alleged pilot by asserting that he 'should know' about the HGS.

Fair enough mate. My apologies for the mis-interpretation.

Eh? How you control the HGS then?????

Sorry Lukas, nearly forgot to reply. The answer is through the MCDU.

Sorry Lukas, nearly forgot to reply. The answer is through the MCDU.

Aaaaah! Cool. So I suppose it's basically "another page" on the MCDU (like ACARS, METAR request etc. that kind of stuff)?

Kyle summed it up well.

I looked at the thread today, and I saw:

To follow up with my initial posting, he did announce that 'before retiring he was an instructor'!   Now of all people including pilots on £1000+ per week. he should be knowledgeable of ALL 737NG types whether Thompsonfly is using them or not? 

Now sorry Dave, but it just seems to me you are deliberately trying to find a way how to label this pilot incompetent, even though I can't see the motive.

Have you ever stopped and looked at only the options covered in FCOM? There are lots of them. And there are yet even so much more that are not covered in FCOM at all.

You cannot expect a pilot to know it all, especially so as he will never, ever come into contact with some of that stuff.

It seems to me that you miss on one very specific thing.

For us, this is a hobby. We choose to immerse ourselves in the technical aspects of flying. We know much of the 737 because we choose to.

For him, it is his job. He learns what he has to learn - and that is a lot more than what we choose to learn. I mean - have you considered lately the legal side of the things? Have you considered, while cruising over Iran, what would you do if your passenger had a heart attack - and happened to be Jewish?

Don't knock down pilots. Or pilot-instructors. They may not know some things we know - but they still know so much more. A person cannot know everything. In line flying - you cannot know every possible system that might exist, somewhere. You need the mental space for other stuff. You can learn HGS when it comes to your airline.

I'm gonna say something that most will probably find horrible and mean, but I feel like it needs to be said based on some of the posts here:

This is kinda why real pilots have a distaste for sim pilots.

This; and also the fact that sim pilots always chime in with answers, even if the poster in question asks for a real-world pilot response, even though they don't actually know the answer.  They just can't seem to hold back.

This; and also the fact that sim pilots always chime in with answers, even if the poster in question asks for a real-world pilot response, even though they don't actually know the answer.  They just can't seem to hold back.

Yep.  In defense of some, I take issue with some people's "only from real pilots please" qualifiers, but only when the question could be answered by anyone with the right knowledge.

As you can see with Andrea's posts in the NGX subforum, he has a ton of knowledge about the plane without being a pilot.

I'm with you, though.

Kyle Rodgers

As you can see with Andrea's posts in the NGX subforum, he has a ton of knowledge about the plane without being a pilot.

Well, he is a mechanic, right? Kinda figures, he should know the systems well :)

But yeah. I crige as well, when question is really, really simple, and the qualifier goes on. Like "How do I turn the autopilot off? Real pilots only plox."...

For him, it is his job. He learns what he has to learn - and that is a lot more than what we choose to learn. I mean - have you considered lately the legal side of the things? Have you considered, while cruising over Iran, what would you do if your passenger had a heart attack - and happened to be Jewish?

Peter, spot on. Like Kyle you make a nice and rational post. May I mention that I hinted at the knowledge side in an earlier post, but I am really glad that some people understand the vast complexity associated with operating these aircraft in international airspace.

On a complete tangent. Did you know that Judaism is an official religion of Iran, there are 17 synagogues in Terhran and about 70 or so in the country as a whole. Like Christianity, they even have representation (albeit small) in their parliament. Not a lot of people know that.

Yeah, I realize Iran is not the ideal example - they are pretty secular for an Islamic dictatorship.

On the other hand - to drive the point across it might be a good example - even if reality is misrepresented, the usual idea of a westerner about Iran makes it a good reason for them to think about the implications.

In my own experience aviation professionals usually are not interested in anything outside of their area of responsibility. 

I met pilots cannot distinguish different aircraft, air traffic controllers do not know names of airways passing through their sector... The answer was always simple:" I do not need to know that and I do not want to know that". ATC answered he has airways names displayed at display, and his only know entry/exit points of his sector.

Aviation enthusiasts usually have much wider knowledge than professional pilots.

Don't forget that there are sill aviation enthusiasts flying real aeroplane out there! ;)

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk