Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

H G S?

The PMDG 737-800 NGX is equipped with and 'HGS' between the radio's on the centre pedestal.

I had an argument with a 737NG pilot (Standing in the picture) who visited our flightsim group meeting at Ipplepen, and claimed he knew nothing of this appliance but claimed 3000 hours in the NG with Thompson Flight.

Who was right, him or me?

1233576_325632950916500_1605120434_n.jpg

Dave Taylor gb.png

Are you talking about the actual HUD, or the appliance down near the radios that you set your CATIII approach up with, Runway elevation - length - Pri III?

The HUD is in front of the captain Tommy and the HGS is between the radio's.  B)

Dave Taylor gb.png

No I've known that for ever, but I was clearing it up haha, the HUD -Heads up Display- and by clearing it up I meant if you meant the HUD was between radios then you were wrong, but since you said it was the HGS setup then you're correct.

Not all airlines have the HGS installed. So many additional extras available in these things :P

HGS = Headsup Guidance System (I.e. the HUD :) )

It's a customer option. A friend of mine is chief pilot and instructor on the 747 for Qantas but has flown the NG as well and they had the HGS installed.

Yeppers, you were both right.

If Thompson does not have the HGS option installed (they don't seem to), then there is no reason he would have any idea it even exists.

Still, exist it does, and is modelled in PMDG.

The glass piece that drops into view is known as the Combiner and the panel you refer to on the pedestal is the HGS Control Panel (there is also the Overhead Unit, HGS Annunciator Panel etc) - Collectively, they are parts of the HGS System.

A man with his alleged experience on the 737, irrespective if his hours are on the Classics or NG's, should know about the HGS.

Brian Nellis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Brian Nellis

It's a customer option. A friend of mine is chief pilot and instructor on the 747 for Qantas but has flown the NG as well and they had the HGS installed.

Correction, it's a Head-up Guidance System. Generally speaking pilots only have one head each so they can only have one head up.

A "heads up" is something else entirely.

ki9cAAb.jpg

A man with his alleged experience on the 737, irrespective if his hours are on the Classics or NG's, should know about the HGS.

Why exactly?

No. An airline would normally only have those options that are present in their fleet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Not sure but isn't the HGS in the FCOM('s) for all the NG's?

The FCOM is operator specific. There is no sense in having documentation for something their aircraft is not equipped with. The documentation that comes with the NGX may not look like the documentation found on other airplanes because not every airplane is the same.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The FCOM is operator specific. There is no sense in having documentation for something their aircraft is not equipped with. The documentation that comes with the NGX may not look like the documentation found on other airplanes because not every airplane is the same.

Roger that, thanks. Figured this but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming :)

Brian Nellis

That's just what I was thinking too Brian.

Lukas, I wasn't referring to that but the system on the pedestal.

Dave Taylor gb.png