Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

T7 flying aberrant procedure PORTE5 out of KSFO 1L

Embarrasing!  Programmed SID "PORTE5" with CZQ (Clovis) Transition out of KSFO, double-derate engine TO and Climb, entered relevant weather and wind, upon takeoff, the plane consistently is turning too early and missing the SEPDY Waypoint.  ATC is giving me grief because the plane is not flying the correct flight path to match the procedure.  I'm wondering if the weather and OAT info I entered is confusing the plane?

Anyone else experience incorrect TURN PREDICTION in the T7 after takeoff?  I know if you don't de-rate and have the plane lightly loaded, the plane will misbehave because essentially it is overpowered compared to its light load (on short hops).

Any tips appreciated.  TIA.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

When are you engaging the auto pilot? Did you program all the winds in correctly? 1L is a pretty short runway for a 777 and derating. Also I believe most departures are vectures from SFO because of the close proximity to Oakland and San Jose.

In those cases fly by raw data.  I also fly on Pilotedge and if its not an RNAV procedure I will program all the radios and radials and handfly the departure if good weather or engage AP and fly HDG SEL.

I flew the 777 out of RJBB last night (of course not on pilotedge) but had to handfly the reversal using radios and hdg select.  The FMC just couldn't seem to calculate a path out of there without loop di loops..  It looked like spaghetti noodles.  Did a pretty good job if I must say so myself.

Sean Green

When are you engaging the auto pilot? Did you program all the winds in correctly? 1L is a pretty short runway for a 777 and derating. Also I believe most departures are vectures from SFO because of the close proximity to Oakland and San Jose.

A/P on at 400 feet.  Yes, winds are in and correct per NOAA weather (I use Rex Essential OD)

There is a nice write-up how to fly a PORTE departure (admittedly, an outdated PORTE3) that might help you out plan your flight:

http://www.oakartcc.com/inigo/How%20to%20Fly%20the%20PORTE3%20Departure%20(and%20not%20turn%20right%20after%20takeoff).pdf

Yes, this is a WONDERFUL tutorial on how to use DME for navigation.  Funny thing is, my EFIS will NOT switch to any other view except MAP.  It only shows the flight path (?)  Problem with the T7 or only works when airborne?  Driving me nuts. 

EDIT:  I discover in the PMDG setup screens that you can enable pilot control of the EFIS displays or you can make the displays work off the FMC.  I put it back to pilot control (EFIS CONTROL = OFF), and the VOR map appeared on the Pilot PFC display.

In those cases fly by raw data.  I also fly on Pilotedge and if its not an RNAV procedure I will program all the radios and radials and handfly the departure if good weather or engage AP and fly HDG SEL.

I flew the 777 out of RJBB last night (of course not on pilotedge) but had to handfly the reversal using radios and hdg select.  The FMC just couldn't seem to calculate a path out of there without loop di loops..  It looked like spaghetti noodles.  Did a pretty good job if I must say so myself.

Trying to fly by raw data,  we'll see if I can.  Thanks to one and all.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

In the past I noticed that the PORTE departure was not coded correctly in the navdata I used. Perhaps that is (part of) the issue.

Marc ter Heide

I've had several problems with navdata and now I always step through the flight plan with ND in PLAN view.

Dan Downs KCRP

In the past I noticed that the PORTE departure was not coded correctly in the navdata I used. Perhaps that is (part of) the issue.

I have to wait till I'm away from the airport a bit before I put the LNAV on.  That seems to work, and I also programmed the SFO 350 Radial into the FMC for a visual check as well.  Thanks.

I've had several problems with navdata and now I always step through the flight plan with ND in PLAN view.

Yes, I went to Navigraph and what a shock, there was a "V.2" (version 2) of the current AIRAC, just days before the next cycle will release on the 18th Sept.  Thanks for the tip.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Of course you can complain if the aircraft isn't working properly... but it's poor form to blame it when ATC gives you 'grief'! You're the pilot and, short of your flight control system becoming mangled, it's always your fault if the aircraft is pointing the wrong way! ;)

Of course you can complain if the aircraft isn't working properly... but it's poor form to blame it when ATC gives you 'grief'! You're the pilot and, short of your flight control system becoming mangled, it's always your fault if the aircraft is pointing the wrong way! ;)

I'm at a loss for words.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg