Sign in to follow this  
Sandy_Bridge

Exporting routes from FSBuild

Hello everyone,

I want to create a company route for my 777 outside the FMC, but I don't want to buy PFPX. Is there a way to export the route from FSBuild?

Mihkel Kiil

Of course. Just point FSBuild to the PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS/777 folder. FSBuild will plop the .rte there, and you're good to go.

Edit: I forget if you have to rename the .rte file. Just look in your 777 flightplan folder and make sure the name follows the format, ICAO1ICAO201.rte. E.g., for a flight from KLAX to KDFW, KLAXKDFW01.rte.

And, you really should get PFPX. It's essential for the airline simmer.

Thanks. I'll try it.

I tried it, but I can't change the folder on the PMDG build option. Also, even though my actual FSX route folder is selected, it exports it somewhere else.

Mihkel Kiil

IIRC, it just exports to the PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS folder...been using FSBuild for years with PMDG aircraft, including the T7 now. Make sure you have the correct export option set (I think one setting is for PMDG iFly or something like that...which you don't want) and that you have set the right FSX root directory. FSBuild should take care of the rest automatically.

You can then call up the routes from the T7's FMC using any of the various methods it provides (CO ROUTE, route request, etc.). I'd recommend having FSBuild export without the SID/STARs (an option that doesn't seem to stick in FSBuild)...that's a PMDG recommendation I believe.

Side note: Make sure that if you change a setting in FSBuild, that you save it and then restart FSBuild...so the setting sticks.

My FSX folder has been set properly, I have never tried restarting FSBuild after changing settings. I will try it on my next flight.

Mihkel Kiil

My FSX folder has been set properly, I have never tried restarting FSBuild after changing settings. I will try it on my next flight.

Yea, the settings don't seem to stick around unless you save and shutdown/restart it. Also, there should be no need to rename the files after export...forgot to mention that. It's a bit of a PITA to get setup right, but once you have it, you're set. I just re-installed FSBuild on my external laptop, feeding into my FSX rig, the other day and went through this process.

I like the look of PFPX, but the $$ is best spent on other addons when FSBuild still does a good job. ;)

Flightplans for the 777 need to go in "PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\777" folder and for the NGX "PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX" folder.

FSBuild puts them all in the "PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS" folder and there is no way to change this as it is set by the main Flight Simulator X folder. The only way you can do it is to manually move the file once it is created.

I love FSBuild but it is getting quite old now and although it is updated has a few problems although I am sure an update will come.

I agree that although PFPX looks great, it works out quite expensive when you have to pay a subscription. Had it been one price then I probably would have bought it, but when I have FSBuild and Simbrief.com I think is it worth it.

I agree with Burnspot. I have been using FSBuild for a long time. FSBuild always puts my flightplans to "PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS" and the FMC of the 737NGX and the new 777 can read it from there.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

I agree with Burnspot. I have been using FSBuild for a long time. FSBuild always puts my flightplans to "PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS" and the FMC of the 737NGX and the new 777 can read it from there.

This. 

I've never had to shuffle FSBuild routes around or rename them to get them to load in any PMDG aircraft. With my current setup, I use FSBuild on another computer, export the route to my FSX rig, and immediately call up the exported route in the FMC for use. It's rather painless actually.

And ... another FSBuilder here  :smile:

I use a hybrid though of partly planning my route and pasting it into FSBuild. FSB then gives me my PMDG and FSX file - I use the FSX route file in ASE to get the on route wind data!

Thanks