Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

To DX10 or not to DX10 that's the question!

Which brings me to DX10. forcing DX10 to go to 8xAA and enabling 4xSGSS in nVidia Inspector works as far as everyone I have spoken to is concerned. It gives you pretty close to the DX9 version of 8xS 4xSGSS so what would be wrong with that?

It's pretty good, but it isn't as good as DX9 mode. Someone mentioned that it is slightly "fuzzy" at these settings in DX9, but that's what it's supposed to do! It smooths out the edges and the shimmering so that they are reduced to a minimum. I can get close most of the time with the DX10 Fixer, but it's the textures in the distance that are still affected. DX9 mode smooths out everything. I have also noticed that UK2000 Xtreme Airport terrain textures shimmer more than normal airports in DX10 mode, and they also look darker.

Interestingly, my framerates in DX10 mode seem to be pretty good with high SGSS settings, and this makes me wonder whether it is working in the same way as it does in DX9 mode. High SGSS settings in DX9 result in a significant hit to framerates.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Interestingly, my framerates in DX10 mode seem to be pretty good with high SGSS settings, and this makes me wonder whether it is working in the same way as it does in DX9 mode. High SGSS settings in DX9 result in a significant hit to framerates.

Well, that's exactly the benefit of DX10...! You can use higher settings (ingame, like bloom, but also for the driver) without an fps penalty. I use 2xSGSS in DX9 but with DX10 I use 4xSGSS and performance is the same if not better (less microstutters).

I have to add though that I also really NEED 4xSGSS because 2xSGS doesn't cut it in DX10 as it does in DX9. It seems to me that FSAA isn't as good in DX10 as it is in DX9 and hence you need higher SGSS settings to get similar quality. At the same time, oddly enough, a low setting of FSAA 4x (using the Fixer so using the settings in the FSX.cfg: the settings in Inspector do nothing at all with DX10) is enough to make things look as good as DX9 does on my PC. It's as if FSAA has lower quality in DX10 but SGSS has higher quality in DX10... or something like that.

I agree with your points regarding FSAA and SGSS, although I would say (based on my experience with the DX10 Fixer so far) that it is unlikely that I will be able to match the quality of the graphics that I can get in DX9 mode. Nevertheless, if I can get close enough, then the benefit with respect to VAS is worth the asking price.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Exactly, they are not the same, strictly speaking graphics wise FSX DX10 is inferior to FSX DX9 with both ATI and NV at reasonable max IQ settings as discussed in this thread.

I agree that DX10 is MUCH improved, however we all know that "close enough" is a subjective term.

What display do you use Christopher?

Guys,

To whom is/are comparing DX9 versus DX10 with their sceneries, make sure the sceneries you are comparing  are 100% DX10 compatible by the developer(s), if not the comparison is flawed as we all know that all sceneries for FSX are 100% DX9 compatible but not DX10.

Steve's tool is not to fix developers sceneries or plane that are not fully DX10 compatible (some are fixed) but to fix what was wrong (to some extend since he can't fix everything not having access to the code) with FSX DX10.

Guys,

To whom is/are comparing DX9 versus DX10 with their sceneries, make sure the sceneries you are comparing  are 100% DX10 compatible by the developer(s), if not the comparison is flawed as we all know that all sceneries for FSX are 100% DX9 compatible but not DX10.

Steve's tool is not to fix developers sceneries or plane that are not fully DX10 compatible (some are fixed) but to fix what was wrong (to some extend since he can't fix everything not having access to the code) with FSX DX10.

Not relevant to the context in this discussion.

Seems like you may have just jumped in with out reading previous post.

You still running that old six core beast?

Not relevant to the context in this discussion.

Seems like you may have just jumped in with out reading previous post.

You still running that old six core beast?

I might have, not sure.

Yeap, this old six core beast is purring like no other one, been running it at high voltage and high clock for over three years now without missing a beat.....

test2.png