Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

To DX10 or not to DX10 that's the question!

Hello all,

trying to tweak my FSX to get the best fps/graphics combination, but I am in a dilemma. With dx10 i get better fps with average graphics, without dx10 i get crisp graphics with poor fps.

here is a small comparison:

Addons: fly tampa dubai/PMDG 777/ REX/ my traffic x/ FSX shade:

with DX10: on ground 14-19 fps/ in air 18-25 fps

without DX10: on ground 8-13 fps/ in air 12-18 fps

here are my system specs:

Intel core i5-2500 cpu @3.30ghz 3.70 ghz

8 GB ram

64 bit os

Nvidia gforce gt 440 

so please let me have your advice on :

1. the best FSX settings that fits my system

2. the best Nvidia software/driver/settings that fits the GT440

2. Any advice for a system upgrade (if needed).

Thank you,

Hi Steve,

Read the last two posts here. All your concerns will be addressed in a few days http://forum.avsim.net/topic/411909-new-post-from-steve-on-his-wordpress-site/page-15

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

With the right settings you can get DX10 to look just as good as DX9, and on several aspects even better. Later this week (probably) the final DX10 fixer comes out what will be the milestone in the journey to getting to DX10 rather than DX10 'preview'.

But already without this application you should be able to get crisp graphics with DX10. It just requires different settings in FSX and NVidia Inspector. Please check out the How-to guide in the AVSim DX10 forum section to get there.

Having a totally new FSX set-up, I'm waiting for Steve's dx10 fix. From then I will most probably stick with dx10.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I'm usually a DX10 guy, but now I'm temporarily back on DX9 because of FTXG night lighting.

It's worth mentioning that ORBX are working with Steve to overcome the limitations in FTXG night lighting, in his soon to be released DX10 'fixer'

With the right settings you can get DX10 to look just as good as DX9, and on several aspects even better. Later this week (probably) the final DX10 fixer comes out what will be the milestone in the journey to getting to DX10 rather than DX10 'preview'.

But already without this application you should be able to get crisp graphics with DX10. It just requires different settings in FSX and NVidia Inspector. Please check out the How-to guide in the AVSim DX10 forum section to get there.

If that is really true than can you explain how to override the FSX-DX10 locked-out filter settings that many of us enjoy in DX9?

The added lines to the config are sure an upgrade over the forced 2xAA, but come on how about 8xS, 12xS and 16xS AA?

How about Alpha AA? Any form of it would be great.

AA Gama correction?

How about 16x Aniso?

The work on DX10 is great no doubt but not having to down grade the IQ on a 1920x1200 24" screen needs to be taken into account.

I hope the fix comes as soon as possible, for now I will go for dx10. But again, I need your advice about the optimum settings for my system?

To admins, kindly move this thread to dx10 section as I missed it while posting this topic.

here is a small comparison:

Addons: fly tampa dubai/PMDG 777/ REX/ my traffic x/ FSX shade:

with DX10: on ground 14-19 fps/ in air 18-25 fps

without DX10: on ground 8-13 fps/ in air 12-18 fps

Its also worth mentioning that is not Apples to Apples, match the filtering in DX9 to what you are using in DX10 and low and behold DX9 is up there! Not saying DX10 is not worth it, only that if you really compare it Apples to Apples and lower the filter quality to the lower available filter quality settings of DX10, suddenly DX9 isn't OOMing, the frames are higher.

Just sayin, we do have to look at it that way as we can't just trade things off and pretend we didn't.

If that is really true than can you explain how to override the FSX-DX10 locked-out filter settings that many of us enjoy in DX9?

The added lines to the config are sure an upgrade over the forced 2xAA, but come on how about 8xS, 12xS and 16xS AA?

AA Gama correction?

How about 16x Aniso?

The work on DX10 is great no doubt but not having to down grade the IQ on a 1920x1200 24" screen needs to be taken into account.

I don't know about all those settings, I use 4XMS combined with 4XSGSS and it looks great. Some others use even higher settings, but I like the AA settings and the performance I'm getting with it.

I'm not an AA expert at all, so I've never used the settings you mention even in DX9.

You might want to check with Paul in the DX10 subsection, because I remember reading a post from Steve about some settings working differently on DX9 and 10.

I don't know about all those settings, I use 4XMS combined with 4XSGSS and it looks great. Some others use even higher settings, but I like the AA settings and the performance I'm getting with it.

I'm not an AA expert at all, so I've never used the settings you mention even in DX9.

You might want to check with Paul in the DX10 subsection, because I remember reading a post from Steve about some settings working differently on DX9 and 10.

Thanks Mark,

I am familiar with the AA in DX10, its less than I would have used back in FS2k days and its my only gripe.

It is the reason people need to be careful about certain performance claims as a benefit of DX10, as they be false.

I hope we can find away to go beyond these dumb limits, maybe when I upgrade to a higher rez display.. but until then I'll be sticking with DX9.

Cheers!

AA Gama correction?

How about 16x Aniso?

you can use 8xSS in direct x10 with his tool and enable supersampling in Nvidia inspector. Roughly same as 8xS with 4xSGSS. good luck in overcast weather though flying into a large airport in the NGX. ;)

C.