Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

To DX10 or not to DX10 that's the question!

The reason you see a FPS difference is because FSX AA doesn't work in DX10.

For me, there are too many things to tweak and customize to make DX10 to make it worth the 5 extra FPS I may or may not get from it.

I usually get around 40 frames in DX9 anyway, plus I can use SweetFX.

The default graphics just don't do anything for me anymore in DX10, since all shader injectors rely on DX9 to work and won't function in DX10.

I usually get around 40 frames in DX9 anyway, plus I can use SweetFX.

The default graphics just don't do anything for me anymore in DX10, since all shader injectors rely on DX9 to work and won't function in DX10.

Sweetfx works fine in DX10.  Took me 5 mins to convert to DX10. I have good AA. You do know about this ?

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/dx10-scenery-fixer/

Even with just the current workaround I have no jaggies or crappy graphics. In fact if I go back to DX9 now it looks horrible.

But, to each his own.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Sweetfx works fine in DX10.  Took me 5 mins to convert to DX10. I have good AA. You do know about this ?

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/dx10-scenery-fixer/

Even with just the current workaround I have no jaggies or crappy graphics. In fact if I go back to DX9 now it looks horrible.

But, to each his own.

Good AA? Do you know the difference?

Good AA? Do you know the difference?

Yes of course i do. maybe you don't know how to set it up correctly. Go to the DX10 forum, and you can learn how to do it.

Read post #5 http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420941-anti-aliasing/

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Yes of course i do. maybe you don't know how to set it up correctly. Go to the DX10 forum, and you can learn how to do it.

Read post #5 http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420941-anti-aliasing/

Yeah, and apparently you must have never realized good AA in DX9? Thanks for making the point.

Like was said .... good filtering: you still can't get the minimum of DX9 8xS (1x2 SS + 4 MS) let alone 12xS or 16xS, nor any Transparency AA, let alone 16X Aniso, nor Gama CorrectionAA in DX10 FSX . <

Geez, repeating myself.

Yeah, and apparently you must have never realized good AA in DX9?

Yeah, 2 years ago I upgraded to an i7 with a GTX 580, so I could have jaggies in FSX. 

Lots of variable come into play here, what driver the user has installed, is the Bios set correctly, memory timing, and of course Nvidia inspector. FSX cfg blah blah blah

You have a mind set for DX9, that's fine, your choice. I enjoy Dx10, and when Steve releases the fixer it will be even better.

But don't take my word for it, go to the DX10 forum, and ask Paul. 

Geez, i'm repeating myself.

DX10 has totally changed FSX for me. Stick with it :)

+1

And it's only going to get better with the imminent release of Steve's fixer programme.

Yeah, 2 years ago I upgraded to an i7 with a GTX 580, so I could have jaggies in FSX. 

Lots of variable come into play here, what driver the user has installed, is the Bios set correctly, memory timing, and of course Nvidia inspector. FSX cfg blah blah blah

You have a mind set for DX9, that's fine, your choice. I enjoy Dx10, and when Steve releases the fixer it will be even better.

But don't take my word for it, go to the DX10 forum, and ask Paul. 

Geez, i'm repeating myself.

Ask Paul?

Look, its obvious you don't know what you are talking about please don't muck the forums up with that nonsense.

No, there are no "variables" it doesn't matter what driver you used for that kind of AA as it has been available since even before NV 8800 GTS days, nothing to do with BIOS or memory timings nor any mods to the *.cfg what kind of BS is that?

These kind of IQ settings were being used back in FS2k times (more than 10 years ago), and that's the point lost on you and You want to continue with that?

Look, its obvious you don't know what you are talking about please don't muck the forums up with that nonsense.

Calm down, no need to get snotty.

Intel core i5-2500 cpu @3.30ghz 3.70 ghz

OP - I see you have overclocked only a small amount? 4Ghz should be very stable, unless you have other issues?

I'm not using DX10 primarily for the extra FPS. Never did a proper comparison and dont notice any difference. I use it for cockpit shadows mainly. That is an important immersive feature that is a MUST in 2013. Then again, FSX cockpit shadows are the weakest of them all, compared to shadows / sunlight hitting the cockpit in the other major sims. DCS excel in this regard.

I put my hopes in P3D 2.0 and continuous improvements to X-plane and DCS.

OP - I see you have overclocked only a small amount? 4Ghz should be very stable, unless you have other issues?

Hello Ivor, how to increase it to 4ghz? Sorry but I am not that experienced in hardware/software stuff.

Thank you,

In contrary what many people think, DX10 does NOT perform better than DX9. If it does for you, then this means your DX9 is not configured optimally. They both require different fsx.CFG setups and if tweaked optimally, they should both perform pretty much the same.

For example one important difference are bufferpools. If you have never heard of bufferpools or have them enabled, then DX10 is going to perform significantly better. If you have bufferpools disabled which is a big requirement for good performance in DX9, then DX10 is going to perform worse.

The proper configuration is to have bufferpools disabled for DX9, and enabled for DX10. You'll still need a few other tweaks for DX10 but as long as it's configured this way, there should be no performance difference.

For me to convert to DX10, all my sceneries, airports, planes, and utilities would have to work as they do in DX9.

Plus, IQ would need to improve, Fps, and reduced OOM errors.

If the tool achieves the above, then I'll give DX10 serious consideration.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

If you have bufferpools disabled which is a big requirement for good performance in DX9, then DX10 is going to perform worse.

Arjen,

I have BP set to -0 in DX9 and 10, and I am confused as to where you have come up with that information.

And when you say disabled, I assume you mean UsePools=0 and not removed from  fsx cfg altogether.

A lot assume if the Bufferpools is removed from the fsx cfg then it is disabled. Of course it is not, as FSX uses 4MB by default.

Buffepools set -0 does not suit everybody.