Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

No Flap Indicator on Speed Tape When Descending/Landing

Hey guys,

This is one part of the NGX I can't figure out.  When I begin my descend and start slowing down, I don't see any flap settings on the speed indicator on the PFD.  During take off, it's all there so I know at what speed to raise the flaps.

Is it suppose to be like this or did I miss something? 

I fly using ATC, so no SID's or STAR's.  I doubt that's the reason though because I fly with ATC with the MD-11 and it works fine there.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Are you entering your Flap and Approach speed?

Press the INT REF button on the FMC in flight and you can make your selection. Flaps should then show on the speed tape.

I clicked on Flaps 30 on the INIT REF page which automatically gives me the Vref for Flaps 30.  I know you can enter your own value manually but I use the given selection.

Weird, I just read through the tutorial again and it didn't mention anything about flaps settings on the speed tape.  It just tells you to set flaps x when you reach certain way points.

No need to execute. Press LSK next to flap 30 vref speed and enter it LSK5R by memory. No need to execute.

• Upvote 1

In which position do you have REF SPD selector (above upper DU) set?

I don't touch the REF SPD selector, so I'm assuming it's in the default "Auto" position.  Is this correct?

I still haven't had time to do another flight.  Will do so tonight after work.

My bad.  It's actually there.

Since this is my first "light" jetliner, I'm not used to lowering flaps at around the 160knots mark.  I'm used to flying the heavies where slats are deployed well above 200knots.

Sorry guys.

Did you made any changes on PERF INIT page? Have you executed it after that?

In normal ops you lower flaps according to flap extension schedule. Can be found in FCTM page 36. Normally it would be 200-210kt.

You not supposed to drop speed to yellow minimum maneuvering speed for flap extension. It can be done only in NNP like overweight landing.

"Auto" position is correct. That's probably a bug and you should submit a ticket.

Didn't know that.  Thanks.  It was a trip from Madrid to Ibiza, fuel set to 1/3 and pax less than half.  I thought that may have given me the low flaps settings.

I didn't try exec yet.  I'm going to do this flight again in about an hour and try that.  I didn't press exec last night because I figured it was already entered.  When I looked on the PFD, it showed the flaps30/vref setting I had chosen.

I don't think it's a bug because I bought the boxed version which was made in 2012.  But who knows.

I will try again and report back.

Ok, I think I was too tired last time I tried and somehow messed something up or didn't pay close enough attention. 

I guess I was expecting to see every single flap position on the speed tape, but that's not the case.  Everything's fine now.  I did a flight last night and it gave me slats at 205 knots, and as I kept letting the flaps down, the "ref" indicator rolled right up at the "vref" speed.

Thanks again for your help.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2013 at 4:32 PM, Groovin_DC-10 said:

I don't see any flap settings on the speed indicator on the PFD.

Similar that issue for my iFly 737-600. I don't see flaps and Autobrake message from EICAS in all my flight. I must be missing something with the configuration. Did tutorial to configure and still missing those parameters.

Patricio Valdes