Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

increasing FPS/performance especially in the VC?

Why I don't use internal fps lock? Because it reduces fps. Means, If I have 32fps with unlocked frames, I will have around 25 with locked @ 30.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I run an Intel i73770  over clocked to 4.6GHZ and had similar issues. Also run Win 7, REX and ORBX.

1.  Try the following website to optimize config http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

2. You need to use something like Texture Max Load Editor  from Frosty Software to keep FSX config settings. Otherwise they all change back to standard.!!!

3. I use Nvidia Inspector to set up the graphics. Key is vsync on and lock fps at 30. (with a 60Hz monitor this works well)

4. The FPS limiter does not work well in FSX - Set this to unlimited and use external program (i.e. Nvidia Inspector to lock frame rates

5. Turn off co-pilots instruments

6. Set refresh rate of instruments down to 8 -15 fps. Does not make much difference to flying.

7. Road traffic at 16% a per PMDG

8. Well worth reading the PMDG introduction again (setting up FSX).  Need to stick to this.

On my PC this pushed frame rates back up to 30  with only minor drops in heavy weather and busy airports. 

Well, turning off the co-pilot instruments, turning refresh rate to 8 except for the PFD (speedtape was jerky), and turning off aircraft ground shadows (good for 5fps in spot view at YSSY default + ORBX Australia) I was able to keep about 25fps in the cockpit except in ORBX PNW (that area is just painful for me right now trying to fly the NGX there).  This even after bumping water to 2.x medium and turning autogen back on one notch to sparse.  I will probably knock the LOD down one notch for PNW areas and see if that helps a bit.  I also have to still keep fps internally locked for the NGX or blurries on ground textures come back (doesn't matter how much fps I have).

Anyway, I'm happy now for the moment.  Fresh reinstall of FSX and all addons and managed to squeeze a bit more performance and eye candy out with the NGX.  I didn't realize "aircraft casts shadow on the ground" could cause that much of a performance hit.  These settings will work until I can update my hardware though.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

5. Turn off co-pilots instruments

6. Set refresh rate of instruments down to 8 -15 fps. Does not make much difference to flying.

New NGX user here. How can I do the above?

Hi

In the FMC front page select PMDG SETUP ....  OPTIONS .....PERFORMANCE ...

this allows you to disable first officer and enter fps you would like. 

Like all of FSX there are no hard and fast rules, you have to see what works for your set up. Reducing the fps to single figures makes little difference to flying but does increase system performance.  I have mine set to 8 and it is smooth and allows instrument flying without limitations.Although many users prefer 12+ fps on the PFD. 

The 737NGX is hard on frame rates, much more so than their earlier  737 for FS2004. Reducing some of the data in the VC will help you get up to 30 fps.

In the FMC front page select PMDG SETUP ....  OPTIONS .....PERFORMANCE ...

Great...Thanks! It worked!

The biggest boost I've gotten in frames is when I turn off the Hi-DEF 3D cockpit option in the FSX Aircraft settings. You may or may not notice a little loss in VC quality, some say they do, some don't. With PMDG aircraft I don't, but others I do a little. The performance gain can be considerable though, so It's up to you to see if it works for you. It does for me.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The biggest boost I've gotten in frames is when I turn off the Hi-DEF 3D cockpit option in the FSX Aircraft settings. You may or may not notice a little loss in VC quality, some say they do, some don't. With PMDG aircraft I don't, but others I do a little. The performance gain can be considerable though, so It's up to you to see if it works for you. It does for me.

Tom Cain

I tried to deactivate Hi-def 3d cockpit option, and than the NGX displays are blurry and unreadable, pointless.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Tom Cain

I noticed the textures and especially the text on the displays gets quite fuzzy when I do that and I only gained a couple FPS so I didn't bother leaving it.  My bigger problem was tuning FSX overall so I didn't get massive ground texture blurries over OrbX areas and even default + FTX Global to a degree.  It was crazy getting 30fps locked externally and getting massive blurries at the same time.  I almost wonder if I was running into a lack of VRAM with my 1GB 560Ti.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I tried unchecking the 3D Hi Def cockpit option to see what it would do. Didn't notice a big difference in any of my PMDG aircraft visually. My frames didn't increase appreciably either. I suspect there is something going on in the background that effects the mileage people are getting with this setting such as NVIDIA inspector settings and hardware setup. Regards

I recently changed my affinity mask from 62 to 14 even though I have a 6 core CPU. I actually noticed an increase in performance. I'm not sure if this is just related to how AMD CPUs work but it did seem to help.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485