Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Best FSX addons

I figure I might as well get a couple GA planes also. Is there another company besides carenado that make good GA planes or is carenado the best?

Well, the RealAir Lancair Legacy is on sale right now, and that's one of the greatest GA planes for FSX IMHO. It is well worth the full price, so it's a steal with half off! (And I've heard they make some other pretty nice planes, too)

Also A2A is definitely among the best. Their Piper CUb with Accusim is fantastic, as is the Civilian (and Military) Mustang and the C172.

For the Carenado planes, I'd suggest to do a little research on the internet to get opinions. Their recent releases with the G1000 are said to be rather FPS hogs on many systems (I don't know myself, I don't like the idea of a glass cockit in a GA plane at all), and some seem to have quite unrealisitc flight dynamics. However, there are a few that are pretty nice IMO, such as the Cessna Caravan and the C185! I love those planes, because they give you the feeling of being able to land nearly anywhere.

You could also take a look at Alabeo. They do some rather unusual planes with high visual quality but low systems fidelity, just like Carenado does (actually, Carenado and Alabeo are affiliated in some way, but Alabeos's pricing seems a bit more adequate to me)

Also A2A is definitely among the best

Yes there 172 will certainly be on the list. Looks like a fantastic plane.

How about monitors? The one I am thinking of getting is a Dell Ultrasharp 30in. Are there others that I should look at or will that one be fine?

- PMDG 737NGX/PMDG 777

- GSX

- PFPX

- FS2Crew

- UT2

For the 737 NGX which FS2crew package should I get? They have multiple ones listed on the site for the 737 and I don't want to get the wrong one.

For the 737 NGX which FS2crew package should I get? They have multiple ones listed on the site for the 737 and I don't want to get the wrong one.

if you are cheap the 'special bundle pack' one.

the 'captains pack' is the special bundle pack + an audio 737 training.

the emergency bundle is only an addon and needs the special or captains bundle to work. It handles emergency situations which the other packages wont.

it also brings new voices to it. but only one voice is available when you want to have emergencies simulated (I think its the australian accent)

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

How about monitors? The one I am thinking of getting is a Dell Ultrasharp 30in. Are there others that I should look at or will that one be fine?

The problem of staying with monitors of that size apart from the cost is the very high resolution will impact on frame rates. Instead consider a LED TV. I bought a Sony 32" LED TV with a resolution of 1920x1080 and I'm really pleased with it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The problem of staying with monitors of that size apart from the cost is the very high resolution will impact on frame rates. Instead consider a LED TV. I bought a Sony 32" LED TV with a resolution of 1920x1080 and I'm really pleased with it.

Interesting I hadn't thought about getting a tv to use as a monitor. I was pretty astounded at the price of that monitor. I just figured a TV would not work as well or something. Certainly learned something there.

Thank you for the explanation on FS2crew I know which to get now.

Also just curious does FSX look better in 1920x1080 or a higher PC monitor setting? I mean if there isn't much difference from 1920x1080 tv versus a expensive monitor then just getting a TV for a monitor makes lots of sense as I could get a bigger tv than monitor.

Also just curious does FSX look better in 1920x1080 or a higher PC monitor setting? I mean if there isn't much difference from 1920x1080 tv versus a expensive monitor then just getting a TV for a monitor makes lots of sense as I could get a bigger tv than monitor.

It's a subjective thing. To convince myself I took a couple of screenshots of the PMDG and ConcordeX panels and dropped them to a USB stick. Viewing them on 32" and 40" TVs helped a lot. Things weren't quite as crisp on the 40" plus it was too large for me. The 32" lost very little compared to my Dell 24" display and added enormously to the realism.

But consider a decent TV as there are a lot of picture adjustments you can make to enhance the image. The Sony Bravia is excellent in that respect.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's a subjective thing. To convince myself I took a couple of screenshots of the PMDG and ConcordeX panels and dropped them to a USB stick. Viewing them on 32" and 40" TVs helped a lot. Things weren't quite as crisp on the 40" plus it was too large for me. The 32" lost very little compared to my Dell 24" display and added enormously to the realism.

But consider a decent TV as there are a lot of picture adjustments you can make to enhance the image. The Sony Bravia is excellent in that respect.

So I guess going with a bigger tv doesn't really improve anything. I could probably fit a 50in tv where the computer would go but that I guess that is pretty absurd. I have also read that some tvs have quite a bit of input lag so I am hoping I can find a way to make sure I get one that has pretty low input lag.

Yea Sony, LG, and Sharp are all on my list of tvs to look at.

Also do you use a HDMI connection to connect the TV to the PC or that 15 pin adapter thing?

I use a HDMI-DVI cable. As it's a purely digital signal no loss of signal quality occurs. The 15-pin thing you refer to sounds like a Scart connection which is analogue and horrible. Keep to digital and things will be fine.

You might find this thread useful. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/408832-what-do-you-think-about-a-42-led-tv-as-a-display/

A larger screen does improve things. Imagine reverting back to a 17" display of half a dozen years ago. The trend is always bigger and if you do what I did and take a memory stick to a TV retailer you can see the difference a larger display makes. Some do use 50" displays but I couldn't. And as for lag, I'm not aware of any. FSX isn't exactly a fast moving game.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I also use a 32" full hd tv and a 22" full hd monitor.

it doesn't matter if you use hdmi or dvi. I used to use dvi cause my old gpu had 2 dvi.

my new one only has 1 dvi and 1hdmi + 2xdp so i use now hdmi for the tv and dvi for my 2nd monitor, because the hdmi port of my 2nd monitor is already used by my mac.

if you have too much money you could also look at some 2560x1600 resolution 30" monitors. But only if your pc can handle that resolution without heavy frame drop.

would look a little bit better than just full hd

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit