Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J van E

Water

Two things:

1. if you use REX and wonder if your water animation is working or not, first make sure you enabled the DX10 option for it, but also make sure the animation is actually compatible with DX10: I've read a few times that not every animation works well (or at all) with DX10. So in doubt, select another one and see what happens.

2. I reverted back to default FSX water... and I wonder who else did this. Because a lot of people use REX because the water sucked (with DX9) they don't think about or consider giving the default FSX DX10 water a try! I had some problems with wave animations (no animation at all, even with DX10 enabled in REX) and when I reverted to default water, just to see if the animation would work or not, I was amazed how good it looked with DX10! FSX DX9 and FSX DX10 waters are quite different, so you might want to give it a try!

(And btw I am always a bit unsure which REX animations are heavy on the system and which are not: I have the idea the default FSX animation is pretty light so that's another bonus. But this idea isn't based on fact. ^_^ )

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good info...how do you go back to default water when using REX?

By using the "Restore" function in the REX Configuration Manager.

I was trying different setting last night on the DX10 water and REX. I even tried FSWS-Lite DX10. The wave animations creates different (unacceptable) land shimmering effects in the distance. I could not find one that I thought was a good compromise. Only a handful seem to add the whitecaps -even with the DX-10 water box checked. I settled on "Use This!" water animation theme for now. 

I wanted to try to revert back to stock FSX textures but they would not restore from the tool. Does anyone have the name of the files to restore. I suspect they are somewhere on my hard drive. 

What have other people used to get great looking DX10 water and waves?

By using the "Restore" function in the REX Configuration Manager.

LOL...ok yeah that would make sense. Not really something I ever thought of doing. :lol:

So I was reading somewhere that I should:

1. Restore default textures in Config Manager

2. Uncheck REX water textures in Options

3. Reload all other REX textures.

Should I leave REX water animations checked w/ dx10 Optomize checked?

I was trying different setting last night on the DX10 water and REX. I even tried FSWS-Lite DX10. The wave animations creates different (unacceptable) land shimmering effects in the distance. I could not find one that I thought was a good compromise. Only a handful seem to add the whitecaps -even with the DX-10 water box checked. I settled on "Use This!" water animation theme for now. 

I wanted to try to revert back to stock FSX textures but they would not restore from the tool. Does anyone have the name of the files to restore. I suspect they are somewhere on my hard drive. 

What have other people used to get great looking DX10 water and waves?

None of your DX9 textures are touched with DX10 Fixer.  So you do not need to uninstall anything.  If you modified anything inside of REX, then that's an issue with REX and you will have to get your water back with that program.  In the Fsx.cfg, your water should be set no higher than 5.  DX10 Preview takes over from there.  I have seen major issues with FSX water setting set to max.  Read the OP as it is explained well there.

Best regards,

Jim

With FSX DX10, it's like a whole new sim and I know the DX10 water now has the potential to look amazing. I just have not found a combination of textures and wave animations for High 2.x.

Over at orbx there are some nice screenshot of DX10 eye candy with great looking water. - http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65152-dx10-eye-candy/

I am really interested in what others are using...

I'm using the "Use This" option as well.

It provides some nice reflections, particularly during Dawn and Dusk, and nice wave effects.   But I too am getting that nasty "land reflection shimmering" effect, particularly at lower altitudes and with the land further away.   Hopefully that can somehow be corrected, eventually.

The "Sparkling" option looked great in DX9 but horrible in DX10.  Hence the switch.

The key is that water slider in the fsx.cfg.  I had the land reflection shimmering effect when I first installed Steve's fix last year.  Even submitted a picture of the effect and Paul told me to lower this setting one notch.  It worked!  So, you just have to place the water setting to the highest (which is not good, and start lowering until the effect goes away or is reduced.  I have 2048 HD textures installed (from AS2012).  You should have at least that resolution installed.  The 4096 textures will definitely cause problems in the form of crashes (via a combination of settings that are all at the highest). 

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I can't check at the moment, but by lowering the water setting, at what point are the wave effects lost? 

I fly mostly GA airplanes, so I'm willing to put up with the land reflection shimmering as long as I don't lose the wave effects. 

I'll experiment further when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

The key is that water slider in the fsx.cfg. I had the land reflection shimmering effect when I first installed Steve's fix last year. Even submitted a picture of the effect and Paul told me to lower this setting one notch. It worked!

But then you simply remove the reflections... I think people want to see a solution where you keep the reflections but without the shimmering. I doubt though if that will happen in FSX.

I can't check at the moment, but by lowering the water setting, at what point are the wave effects lost? 

Afaik you will keep the wave effects as long as you use 2x water: even the lowest settings has the animation. The only thing that you remove with that slider are the reflections. The highest setting reflects everything, the high setting reflects clouds and ground, the setting below that reflects clouds and the lowest reflects nothing. Or something like that. ^_^

Thank you, Jeroen! 

I'll definitely by experimenting further with this tonight.  I definitely like all of the reflections, with the exception of the shimmering land.  As you mentioned, it would be great if the land reflections were just smoothed a bit, especially those appearing from further away. 

The way the reflection shimmers also depends on the wave animation itself. So you could try others. And I haven't tried it myself yet because I don't know of FSWC works with DX10 (I suppose so) but with that addon you should be able to tune reflections a bit down so you still see them but without becoming too annoying.

The way the reflection shimmers also depends on the wave animation itself.

This is what I found last night. The issue with the land shimmering seems caused by the wave animation. I tried a dozen of them last night - they all impact the why the shimmer reflection is displayed. That is why I settled for now on "Use This!"  I didn't try testing it with no wave animation at all. Maybe some can see if the reflection looks like a glass mirror.

I found "Use This" to be pretty good, too, and actually moved away from "Sparkling".. Too many textures! It's like a candy store - particularly when you own all of these "Essentials" and OverDrive" and "2012" and "Enhanced" textures, and FSWC and FSWCLite, and on and on. Cheesh! :lol:

I often read about Use this: maybe I should use this too. Apparently it's pretty good!

Thanks Jeroen! I finally fixed my water animation issues. So REX and possibly FSWC were the culprits. I can say that I'm finally getting closer! And you guys weren't joking about dx10 water....freakin white caps!!! Love it!

Thanks Jeroen! I finally fixed my water animation issues. So REX and possibly FSWC were the culprits. I can say that I'm finally getting closer! And you guys weren't joking about dx10 water....freakin white caps!!! Love it!

You are very welcome. But I'd love to hear what you did exactly.  ^_^ Did you restore the default FSX animation and/or did you use another REX one (which one) and what did you do with FSWC?

EDIT

Found this in another topic!  ^_^

Just a follow up...water issues I was having are now solved. Restoring default textures in REX and then reapplying them worked for me. I left default wave animation set and voila! My dx10 white caps are there!  So happy I got this sorted.

Also the performance issues I was having in heavy clouds with 4xSGSS seems to have vanished now. I am getting solid fps and smooth fluid motions throughout my flight, panning, spot view....etc, etc even in overcast conditions. I just can't believe it. I am almost positive that recycling the default textures in REX solved that issue as well. I have yet to test my setup at higher TML's and LOD's, but currently at default it is performing really well. Mind you I try to stay locked at 40 for trackIR purposes.

Its difficult to explain how smooth the sim feels now until you really experience it. This is not a gimmick. So, I think I caught the bug, and turning back now will probably be impossible.

Big thank you to everyone that shared such invaluable information which brought me to this point and Steve for this monumental fix.  :Applause:

Does anyone know the names of the of the default wave animation files? I'd like to replace them manually rather than that back everything out of REX and reload everything but the water textures. With all my scenery add-ons I am afraid to overwrite something. 

Does anyone know the names of the of the default wave animation files? I'd like to replace them manually rather than that back everything out of REX and reload everything but the water textures. With all my scenery add-ons I am afraid to overwrite something. 

Yep, I'd like to do this as I have run into trouble trying to reinstall the default textures. Basically it has not worked... The REX GUI seems to be stuck on the options tab and I can't get out of it even with a reboot! I have done so be reinstallingt the relevent dll and xml files from a backup folder. So a manual install of the default FSX textures would be helpful...

Yep, I'd like to do this as I have run into trouble trying to reinstall the default textures. Basically it has not worked... The REX GUI seems to be stuck on the options tab and I can't get out of it even with a reboot! I have done so be reinstallingt the relevent dll and xml files from a backup folder. So a manual install of the default FSX textures would be helpful...

On the REX option tab you might have to specify your fsx folder before you can select any other tab, I had the same problem.

Cheers, Andreas

Thanks Andreas, but tonight I've given up the fight and gone back to DX9, just too many things not working and to top it all, two crashes this evening in my beloved NGX!

Thanks Andreas, but tonight I've given up the fight and gone back to DX9, just too many things not working and to top it all, two crashes this evening in my beloved NGX!

We should start a club! :lol:

However, despite how I feel about all this hooha over DX10, I just know I'll try it again as soon as the angst wears off. :rolleyes:

I have more testing to do myself guys so don't give up. After all my ills in the beginning I still need some assurance that what I am seeing is ACTUALLY happening.