Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Autogen Fading Feature Confirmed

I may be mistaken, but I believe XP fades the buildings in and out.

Bob

Correct. Aces decided to remove that option because of performance issues.

They also mentioned in another post that they are drawing all the autogen in one draw call on the GPU as well.

Which should mean no more popping up of dozens of blocks of autogen within the LOD from which they can appear. 

The number one eyesore in FSX has always been autogen IMO. The way it pops but also the way it loads in inconsistently all around you, even close to the plane. If this is corrected it's a huge deal.

I do agree.  But the risk is that with one draw call, there could be one heck of an initial stutter, before the full vista of autogen is drawn.

I may be mistaken, but I believe XP fades the buildings in and out.

Bob

Not always. I've seen autogen pop in xpx. It could have something to do with the osm data I'm using but I have have definitely seen popping.

As to p3d. I did request the reintroduction of alpha fade on the p3d forums about a year ago iirc, thinking it would be a great feature for version 1.5. Lol

The idea is of course that you won't really see those ghosts because it happens in the distance and slowly! In real life objects in the distance also slowly gain more detail which obviously is more realistic than buildings SUDDENLY popping up! You notice things popping up even when you don't really look at it: that certainly won't happen when things slowly fade in. Now I don't know what trick LM has come up with but if it comes close to alpha fading, it will be a major improvement!

Like I said, if it happens further out (Past LOD 4.5) then I can see this being of benefit, but if it fades in at the same point as FSX, then I think it is going to be as noticeable as it popping in. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Like I said, if it happens further out (Past LOD 4.5) then I can see this being of benefit, but if it fades in at the same point as FSX, then I think it is going to be as noticeable as it popping in.

Agreed. FS9 has alpha fade, but it's still annoying because it happens so close to the aircraft.  I was hoping my new system and the purchase of Prepar3d 1.4 would resolve the "popping".  If LM has this fixed with 2.0, then that would be last problem solved (for me).

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64