Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeT707

Autogen Fading Feature Confirmed

LM have stated that the autogen popping issue in FSX will no longer be a problem in P3D v2.0.

From WBard at LM

while we don't alpha fade, we do some rendering tricks to fade in the autogen so they don't pop in like they used to. good request! request received and implemented icon_smile.gif

Software Manager - Prepar3D® Team

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Great news! Easily the most annoying thing in FSX/ESP!

They also mentioned in another post that they are drawing all the autogen in one draw call on the GPU as well.

Which should mean no more popping up of dozens of blocks of autogen within the LOD from which they can appear. 

The number one eyesore in FSX has always been autogen IMO. The way it pops but also the way it loads in inconsistently all around you, even close to the plane. If this is corrected it's a huge deal.

LOL I came here to post about this too! I have to say that THIS ALONE might be enough to make me go to P3D! Even if everything else would be the exact same as it is in FSX, I would probably buy P3D for this alone! Seriously! 

I am getting more and more excited about P3D everyday!  ^_^

I am getting more and more excited about P3D everyday! ^_^

Ditto to that :)

Excellent news!!!  :yahoo:

Besides FSX performance issues (with my pc of course) , this one and the blurries are two of the most annoying things that pushed me away into Xplane 10.

LOL I came here to post about this too! I have to say that THIS ALONE might be enough to make me go to P3D! Even if everything else would be the exact same as it is in FSX, I would probably buy P3D for this alone! Seriously! 

I think as LM releases more information pertaining to the features in this simulation platform, more and more people will feel the same as you and plan to incorporate Prepar3d into their mix of simulation products.  I certainly hope that the adoption rate over the first year post-release, reaches a level that Prepar3d is the primary sim for most simmers and that it brings the community together.  

My plan is: Good buy X-plane 10, Hello P3D V2 and FSX gradually fading into the distance with probably only PMDG keeping it alive on my system.

Ben_Kinsley_The_End_is_Nigh.jpg

Dynamic shadows, improved fog/low vis effects, and terrain that reacts to different light conditions are also confirmed (on their forums, not from the unsourced list).

FSX already looks really good for me in an Orbx region and even with FTXG. With autogen fixed and the above mentioned features in place, I'm struggling to think of what else I'd need to have what I consider a complete simulator visually. Cloud shadows are also confirmed but not sure if they make it into the intital release.

I really hope they increased the LOD range for autogen as well. Right now it's hardcoded at 7 miles (And it rarely loads completely within that range because it's too busy popping up). If they could push it out to 12-14 miles it would look incredible.

Dynamic shadows, improved fog/low vis effects, and terrain that reacts to different light conditions are also confirmed (on their forums, not from the unsourced list).

FSX already looks really good for me in an Orbx region and even with FTXG. With autogen fixed and the above mentioned features in place, I'm struggling to think of what else I'd need to have what I consider a complete simulator visually. Cloud shadows are also confirmed but not sure if they make it into the intital release.

I really hope they increased the LOD range for autogen as well. Right now it's hardcoded at 7 miles (And it rarely loads completely within that range because it's too busy popping up). If they could push it out to 12-14 miles it would look incredible.

I was not able to find any reference to the dynamic shadows and terrain interaction with lighting.  Can you relay what you heard on the P3D forum?  Thanks.

I was not able to find any reference to the dynamic shadows and terrain interaction with lighting.  Can you relay what you heard on the P3D forum?  Thanks.

I'd have to go dig the links up. Those were actually mentioned months ago before we even knew V2 was in beta. 

Basically, they said that there's a new dynamic shadow system to replace what are currently baked shadows on textures. They also talked about the shadowing on planes and some changes with it. It was a lot of technical speak mixed it so I can't remember it all. 

With the terrain lighting they used the example that a snowy surface will react to sun light and glisten for example. This should also help night environments and bad weather as the terrain will react to the lack of light. 

What's been said about shadows is as follows:

...We've done a lot of work on shadows but there is more work to be done so I can't say for sure what capabilities we will ship with. The problem with pretty much every shadow algorithm out there is that they have edge cases where the math breaks down. Many games have artists tweak shadow mapping parameters for every room of every level to minimize artifacts. Since we have the whole world in our application, we can't do that...

What's been said about shadows is as follows:

...We've done a lot of work on shadows but there is more work to be done so I can't say for sure what capabilities we will ship with. The problem with pretty much every shadow algorithm out there is that they have edge cases where the math breaks down. Many games have artists tweak shadow mapping parameters for every room of every level to minimize artifacts. Since we have the whole world in our application, we can't do that...

Ok, so shadows aren't certain yet. I was already thinking that IF P3D comes with shadows for trees etc. Orbx needs to redo all of their sceneries because they all have very obvious shadows baked in! That will look very odd when you also get real shadows...!

Ok, so shadows aren't certain yet. I was already thinking that IF P3D comes with shadows for trees etc. Orbx needs to redo all of their sceneries because they all have very obvious shadows baked in! That will look very odd when you also get real shadows...!

Yep. Solve one problem and you open the door to a lot of new ones :).

Landclass textures are mostly based on satellite photos, and they are mostly made on clear days, meaning shadows, so it would be a pretty hard thing to fix. To solve that you would need aerial photos from dense overcast days, and I don't think anyone does that.

Great news on the autogen materialising - there's so much goodness coming from those guys.

Any ideas how many people are in the team?

Great news on the autogen materialising - there's so much goodness coming from those guys.

Any ideas how many people are in the team?

No, and since they are a defence contractor I think it will stay that way.

That is one of my biggest gripes with ORBX sceneries. FSX has real shadows, they just are not that pronounced and are nearly non existent when there are any clouds. Plus from my experience with scenery design, most users turn them off for performance reasons which looks like crap IMO, but is probably the main reason ORBX went with this method.

FLIGHT had amazing shadows and if the ones in P3D v2.0 are similar to those, I will be in heaven!

FLIGHT had amazing shadows and if the ones in P3D v2.0 are similar to those, I will be in heaven!

Especially if the heavy lifting is done by the underworked and overpaid graphics card instead of the overtasked CPU.  

That is one of my biggest gripes with ORBX sceneries. FSX has real shadows, they just are not that pronounced and are nearly non existent when there are any clouds. Plus from my experience with scenery design, most users turn them off for performance reasons which looks like crap IMO, but is probably the main reason ORBX went with this method.

All FSX textures have always had shadows baked in.

The shadows you've always seen on moutains and terrain are baked in prior to load based on the time of day. This is the system that LM is supposedly replacing with a dynamic system.

I haven't seen mention of trees being part of that so the baked tree shadows Orbx does, for example, may not be an issue.

All FSX textures have always had shadows baked in.

The shadows you've always seen on moutains and terrain are baked in prior to load based on the time of day. This is the system that LM is supposedly replacing with a dynamic system.

I haven't seen mention of trees being part of that so the baked tree shadows Orbx does, for example, may not be an issue.

i am referring more to scenery objects and the shadows they cast more than the landscape textures. It would be very hard to create landscape textures with no shadows on them, unless done completely by hand. FSX already creates shadows with elevations of the terrain, but it is poorly done, so an improvement on that would be welcome.

I wonder if this rendering trickery is more effecient than alpha fade. Anyone?

Bob

I wonder if this rendering trickery is more effecient than alpha fade. Anyone?

Bob

What are the technical aspects of alpha fade? 

Also, More info about the shadows in V2 from WBard:

We have dynamic shadows from the aircraft onto itself in the new engine. We'll show off some shots here in the future sometime when we get off our keyboards long enough to show off the work 

What are the technical aspects of alpha fade? 

Also, More info about the shadows in V2 from WBard:

Have no idea and don't really care. The only thing I care about is how it affects my smooth as glass simming experience. :lol:

"The future of flight simming"

That is just down right inspiring.

"What's on your computer?"

Bob