Sign in to follow this  
HighWing182

Unusable frame rate on high end PC.

Hi all, I'm new to AVSIM, but not MSFS, so forgive any errors in my forum edicate. :blush:

What, I'm facing here is NOT your average frame rate issue. I've read and read and read about people having problems keeping their frame rates above 30, but a huge percent of those are old, outdated forum posts where the user was still using a sub-3GHz CPU and only 2GB of RAM on a not-so-high-perfomance motherboard.

I understand FSX is highly CPU intensive, and seems to have a nasty habit of 'ignoring' your video adapter's graphical processing capabilities. I'm estranged that it doesn't call on the processing power of CUDA  in nVidia GPUs, since 'traditional' processing is so important to it.

Anway, what I'm facing here is an almost definite 14FPS when the G1000 is turned on and the engine is running. I have managed to reduce a few settings here and there and use a frame cap to keep everything at 30FPS (I run everything else at 60FPS), which is absolutely fine for flight simulator use.

What is it about the G1000 that pulls the frame down into the teens? I understand it may be a virtual display and all, but my video card is now slouch in that department. Not only am I a flight simulator pilot but also a heavy gamer, where my hardware is put through (what apears to be) much, much higher stresses at the display level.

Here's a final breakdown of the issue...

Frame rate can be locked at 60FPS, but when the G1000 is turned on it will plummet to 14FPS and begin bobbing between that and about 24FPS unpredictably.

Frame rate can be locked at 30FPS, same issue.

If the engine is started and the G1000 is switched off, the frame rate will to return to a consistant 30 or 60FPS, whichever it is locked at.

I have a few other aircraft featuring the G1000, including Flight1's CT182T. Issues are the same as above.

SYSTEM

AMD Phenom II 955 OCd to 3.6GHz

Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR3 @ 1.5GHz

WD Black HDD @ 7200 RPM

EVGA GTX560ti 1GB

PC has been tuned by yours truly. Runs clean, cool and smooth. B)

I

I have a few other aircraft featuring the G1000, including Flight1's CT182T. Issues are the same as above.

I think you'll have a better chance at getting this answered in the FSX forum since your issue revolves around the G1000 and not the aircraft so I'm going to move this to the FSX forum.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "CT182T Skylane HD SERIES FSX/P3D" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hi all, I'm new to AVSIM, but not MSFS, so forgive any errors in my forum edicate. :blush:

What, I'm facing here is NOT your average frame rate issue. I've read and read and read about people having problems keeping their frame rates above 30, but a huge percent of those are old, outdated forum posts where the user was still using a sub-3GHz CPU and only 2GB of RAM on a not-so-high-perfomance motherboard.

I understand FSX is highly CPU intensive, and seems to have a nasty habit of 'ignoring' your video adapter's graphical processing capabilities. I'm estranged that it doesn't call on the processing power of CUDA in nVidia GPUs, since 'traditional' processing is so important to it.

Anway, what I'm facing here is an almost definite 14FPS when the G1000 is turned on and the engine is running. I have managed to reduce a few settings here and there and use a frame cap to keep everything at 30FPS (I run everything else at 60FPS), which is absolutely fine for flight simulator use.

What is it about the G1000 that pulls the frame down into the teens? I understand it may be a virtual display and all, but my video card is now slouch in that department. Not only am I a flight simulator pilot but also a heavy gamer, where my hardware is put through (what apears to be) much, much higher stresses at the display level.

Here's a final breakdown of the issue...

Frame rate can be locked at 60FPS, but when the G1000 is turned on it will plummet to 14FPS and begin bobbing between that and about 24FPS unpredictably.

Frame rate can be locked at 30FPS, same issue.

If the engine is started and the G1000 is switched off, the frame rate will to return to a consistant 30 or 60FPS, whichever it is locked at.

SYSTEM

AMD Phenom II 955 OCd to 3.6GHz

Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR3 @ 1.5GHz

WD Black HDD @ 7200 RPM

EVGA GTX560ti 1GB

PC has been tuned by yours truly. Runs clean, cool and smooth. B)

A couple of points:

1. You don't have a high-end PC. You're absolutely correct that FSX is CPU intensive. An AMD Phenom isn't going to get you there. Most people would probably consider the i7 Sandy/Ivy Bridge or Haswell to be high-end for FSX. The sooner you can move to Intel, the better.

2. Whether or not you choose to move to Intel, you should consult one of the comprehensive setup guides available on the internet. Word Not Allowed's FSX/P3D hardware and setup guide is terrific. Avsim has it's own "official" guide as well. NickN, a longtime contributor to the community, is in the process of drafting a new guide (he calls it the "Bible"), providing yet another approach. Pick ONE, and follow it to the letter, starting with a clean FSX install--and, preferrably, a clean OS as well. The key here is to pick just one guide, since they offer different (i.e., sometimes incompatible) approaches to increasing performance.

Edit: If you can upgrade your GPU to the GTX680 or 780, that will help as well. Money, money, money...

Keep in mind that CUDA was still on the drawing board when FSX was made.

I've got a similar system to yours* and GDI programmed displays (e.g. G1000) tend to drag my framerate down, so I simply avoid planes that are equipped with them.

*C2Q w/ 3.5 GHz, 4GB RAM w/ 1.7 GHz, SSD, GTX570

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Glass cockpits tend to put an extra heavy burden on the CPU.  FSX has always had a reputation for performing much better on Intel CPU's and Nvidia graphics cards.  AMD's processors have lagged behind Intel's in terms of performance since the advent of the Intel Core2 series of CPU's.

What you might do to try to improve performance is to turn down or turn off AI traffic, especially road traffic, and set your graphics sliders one or two notches below maximum.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.