Sign in to follow this  
matt127

Add on Install Order?

Hi

Just reinstalled FSX and wondered if there is any specific order in which it's best to install add-ons?

I have:

GSX

MyTraffic X

REX Overdrive

PMDG 777, 737

UK2000 Airports

FlyTampa Airports

Aerosoft Airports

vroute Premium

Thanks

There really isn't any order to follow as you are not installing ground textures or landclass (GEX and UTX).  I would install the NGX before the 777 though.  I would reboot after each installation as well just to be on the safe side. 

\Robert Hamlich/

I start from the Ground to the air. Large to Small

Start with Global sceneries like UTX or FTX Global.

Then I do the Airports (since they go on top of the sceneries)

Then I install Aircraft--(like the PMDG since they go on top of the airports).

Then I install the "utilities" like REX ans AS2012.

Then I install all other (FSC, or PFPX).

Usually works out well when I have to (unfortunately) periodically reinstall the whole shebang--which for me is a 3-5 day affair. (I have too much add-on software).

Jim Atkins

I would also go from ground to air, as Jim just explained. However, I believe that the exact order should not matter at all, since most poeple will buy their addons in a random order, and I have heard or experienced only little interference of addons with each other.

It really doesn't matter, but I would start by cleaning up FSX bugs and installing FSUIPC. Then you can add things in random order. As a rule of thumb though I like to install global scenery addons first, then regional addons, then airports. It will add less of a chaos to your scenery library. Aircraft last. Make sure you run the sim and test each installation. Don't install it all at once.

This is what I do before isntalling any addons:

1. Copy your saved logbook, rewards and saved flights back to their original locations from your backup.
  2. Download and copy UIAutomationCore.dll (a Windows Vista dll file) into the root of your FSX installation. It will prevent the dreaded FSX menu crash on Windows 7 systems.
  3. Download and install VC++ Post 2005 SP1 Redistributable [ENU (vcredist_x86.exe)]. This is an update to an important library that is used by some aircraft functions in FSX Acceleration.
  4. Backup and replace the original terrain.cfg file with the one made by Richard Ludowise and Luis Féliz-Tirado, and updated by Nick Needham.  This fixes among other things errors in the file that came with SP2 and Acceleration.
  5. Run Windows Update to check for updates for components installed alongside FSX (XML, VisualC++ and .NET ).
  6. Install FSUIPC.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There really isn't any order to follow as you are not installing ground textures or landclass (GEX and UTX).  I would install the NGX before the 777 though.  I would reboot after each installation as well just to be on the safe side. 

Thanks for the information guys! Are GEX and UTX worth getting? People talk about them, but I've never been brave enough to buy them, do they make a massive difference?

Thanks for the information guys! Are GEX and UTX worth getting? People talk about them, but I've never been brave enough to buy them, do they make a massive difference?

Yes they do make a massive difference. If that difference is for the better is up to you to decide. I've used both, but in my mind UTX is outdated. GEX is OK, but expensive. I prefer FTX Global from ORBX.

Yes they do make a massive difference. If that difference is for the better is up to you to decide. I've used both, but in my mind UTX is outdated. GEX is OK, but expensive. I prefer FTX Global from ORBX.

I've just looked at some youtube videos and I have to say FTX Global looks more natural on the ground, GEX looks a bit autogen style.

I've just looked at some youtube videos and I have to say FTX Global looks more natural on the ground, GEX looks a bit autogen style.

That is my experience as well. FTX Global looks slightly more realistic, while GEX looks more like graphics. But both packages have good and not so good textures. What won me over is that FTX Global will expand with landclass and vectors, hence making UTX obsolete. Also FTX Global can be used in P3D with no additional cost. GEX and UTX don't support P3D and are stuck in the past.

That is my experience as well. FTX Global looks slightly more realistic, while GEX looks more like graphics. But both packages have good and not so good textures. What won me over is that FTX Global will expand with landclass and vectors, hence making UTX obsolete. Also FTX Global can be used in P3D with no additional cost. GEX and UTX don't support P3D and are stuck in the past.

Yeah I see what you mean. Do you use ActiveSky and REX together?

No, I use REX + FS Global Real Weather if I fly with the PC connected. It has the best usability of all the weather programs I've tried. Both which also support FSX+P3D.

I feel ya. I was going to purchase the PMDG 777 until I found out it cant be installed in P3D. Which forced me to take a pass on probably a great add-on. I wish these developers would reconsider their positions. If not then FTX and other developers that do support P3D at no added charge is in my future purchases.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

No, I use REX + FS Global Real Weather if I fly with the PC connected. It has the best usability of all the weather programs I've tried. Both which also support FSX+P3D.

I haven't heard of FS Global Real Weather, is it any good? I know a lot of people use REX textures and Active Sky 2012 for real world weather.

I like FSGRW because it is simple. Usability is top notch, it launches and downloads weather in a flash and it is very easy to switch between FS2004, P3D and FSX.

Haven't done side by side comparisons, but I just got tired of all the complex menus and settings in REX and ActiveSky which I don't use anymore. Speed and simplicity is my thing. I just want to fly, don't fiddle with menus, setting and what not.