Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

New Scenery Config Editor for FSX/FS9 Released

Hello,

Between the start of this topic and today, the program had a few updtaes and is now at version 1.1.6.

And I can confirm that both FTX central and SCE work together.

BUT... you have to follow some rules.

Maybe an example:

I have all regions of ORBX installed. That means that for North America you have 5 different regions but it is impossible to activate only one at a time in FTX Central.

What have I done, I have created 5 groups in SCE for the five different NA regions.

So I want to take off in PNW and fly to the next region PFJ. That means I don't need the other three NA regions at the moment....

Well, I first activate North America in FTX Central and afterwards I unselect those tree regions in SCE.

That works like a charm.

To avoid problems: ALWAYS reactivate the regions in SCE after your flight. By doing so, you won't get into trouble when you change from North America to European or Australian regions.

Hope this helps

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium 

FYI: The "NewScenery.cfg" file is an intermediate version of the Scenery.Cfg file which cues pending changes made to the Scenery Library GUI in FS (ex: during a flight) which will later be applied to the actual working copy of the Scenery.Cfg file after FS is next re-started.

The "NewScenery.cfg" file is created by- and an intended part of- how the FS program itself works (it is created on the fly via code inside a FS executable created by ACES / MS Games Studio).

As stated under "Technical Notes" on the "Initial Setup" documentation page for the above cited "SceneryConfigEditor" (aka "SCE"):

http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/setup.html

The “Follow the NewScenery convention” option should almost always be set. In this convention when you open the default scenery file, it will be saved as NewScenery.cfg. This helps Flight Simulator notice there is a change in scenery.cfg. You want this to happen. Just be aware that when you open the default scenery.cfg when you save it will be saved as NewScenery.cfg not scenery.cfg."

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

FYI: The "NewScenery.cfg" file is an intermediate version of the Scenery.Cfg file which cues pending changes made to the Scenery Library GUI in FS (ex: during a flight) which will later be applied to the actual working copy of the Scenery.Cfg file after FS is next re-started.

The "NewScenery.cfg" file is created by- and an intended part of- how the FS program itself works (it is created on the fly via code inside a FS executable created by ACES / MS Games Studio).

As stated under "Technical Notes" on the "Initial Setup" documentation page for the above cited "SceneryConfigEditor" (aka "SCE"):

The “Follow the NewScenery convention” option should almost always be set. In this convention when you open the default scenery file, it will be saved as NewScenery.cfg. This helps Flight Simulator notice there is a change in scenery.cfg. You want this to happen. Just be aware that when you open the default scenery.cfg when you save it will be saved as NewScenery.cfg not scenery.cfg."

GaryGB

So, just to be clear, if before running FSX I use SCE to tick off unwanted scenery, then SCE will save it as NewScenery.cfg, when I start FSX this will use my new NewScenery.cfg instead of the original scenery.cfg?

When will the NewScenery.cfg be renamed as Scenery.cfg, then?

My question sounds a bit silly, I know, but I am confused. 

Thanks

I am not entirely understanding what you are trying to do.  You activate an Orbx region then open up SCE and then untick (disable) all third party sceneries and save the scenery.cfg.  You can do this.  You can do this too when you start up your flight in FSX and then go to the Scenery Library and disable any scenery you will not be using. 

Best regards,

I will give you an example:

I have FTX England and PNW, but also "third party" London VFR. If I want to flight in PNW I will select "North America" in FTX Central (which will deactivate FTX England), but Will also want to deactivate London VFR. I could do that through SCE.

In this all process I would like the groups I made in SCE (for example of all my "third party" airports in UK) to be conserved as a structure, even though ticked off in SCE.

Makes sense?

Thanks!

I have no experience with that.  Sorry!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So, just to be clear, if before running FSX I use SCE to tick off unwanted scenery, then SCE will save it as NewScenery.cfg, when I start FSX this will use my new NewScenery.cfg instead of the original scenery.cfg?

When will the NewScenery.cfg be renamed as Scenery.cfg, then?

My question sounds a bit silly, I know, but I am confused. 

Thanks!

After FS has been re-started, the 'NewScenery.cfg' file will over-write the existing Scenery.cfg file, FS reads the updated Scenery.cfg file, then the 'NewScenery.cfg' file is deleted (until any new 'pending' changes to the scenery library are made during a FS task session). :wink:

GaryGB

The "newscenery.cfg" option is just plain confusing and I turned it off immediately. If I want to make changes, then I really want to make changes.

After FS has been re-started, the 'NewScenery.cfg' file will over-write the existing Scenery.cfg file, FS reads the updated Scenery.cfg file, then the 'NewScenery.cfg' file is deleted (until any new 'pending' changes to the scenery library are made during a FS task session). :wink:

GaryGB

I still don't understand. It is really confusing, and clearly hard to explain.

When you say "after FS has been re-started, the NewScenery.cfg file will over-write..." seems to suggest that it is not read yet as actual scenery.cfg? But that us exactly what I want, that my newly modified scenery becomes active now.

Let's try again.

Let's say I use the Scenery Editor to modify scenery list before I run FSX (so FSX is off); then I save the modified version as NewScenery.cfg (as suggested). Now I launch FSX, will it immediately read the NewScenery.cfg file or still the old scenery.cfg?

Also, will the NewScenery.cfg be renamed and overwritten to old scenery.cfg at this time?

I cannot think of posing the question in a clearer way, I hope the answer will finally clarify this...

many thanks!

And of course this sounds like black magic to me... What is FSX doing different when reads a NewScenery.cfg that would not do if reading a simple Scenery.cfg?

This could help clarify the utility of this rather mysterious "convention"... 

Hi again:

At the same time that NewScenery.Cfg is copied and created (to then contain any "pending" changes to the FS scenery library), OldScenery.Cfg is also copied and created from that original Scenery.Cfg.

FS writes to / reads from the NewScenery.Cfg file any "pending" changes to the FS scenery library ...until it exits and is re-started.

When FS is (fully and successfully) re-started, the NewScenery.Cfg over-writes the Scenery.Cfg, and the OldScenery.Cfg and NewSceneryt.Cfg should be deleted, as after this point, there are no further changes to the FS scenery library "pending" unless one makes changes to the scenery library again via ex: the FS menu GUI.

When another program (ex: a scenery.Cfg maintenance utility such as "SCE") works with the FS Scenery.Cfg in between FS task sessions (when FS is not running), it is important that it work with the above same set of files and the same sequence of events that FS itself would have.

Thus the recommendation of the SCE utility author cited above:

"The “Follow the NewScenery convention” option should almost always be set. In this convention when you open the default scenery file, it will be saved as NewScenery.cfg. This helps Flight Simulator notice there is a change in scenery.cfg. You want this to happen. Just be aware that when you open the default scenery.cfg when you save it will be saved as NewScenery.cfg not scenery.cfg."

GaryGB

I have never had either P3d 2.x or 3.x "not notice that there is a change in scenery.cfg". Once I make any change, it reindexes, etc.. It's been a while since I used FSX, so I guess maybe FSX doesn't know that there is new scenery afoot.