Sign in to follow this  
pipsara

Push to talk button

Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone has managed to configure a push to talk button to explicitly let the Co pilot hear what you are saying to him and cut out recognition on release. I am using a couple of addons which use voice recognition, voxatc for one, and the Co pilot keeps thinking I'm talking to him. Constantly enabling and disabling recognition with the mouse on the control panel is a pain.

Regards Mike

Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone has managed to configure a push to talk button to explicitly let the Co pilot hear what you are saying to him and cut out recognition on release. I am using a couple of addons which use voice recognition, voxatc for one, and the Co pilot keeps thinking I'm talking to him. Constantly enabling and disabling recognition with the mouse on the control panel is a pain.

Regards Mike

There is provision for that.

If using keyboard only, assign the END key tho VOX PTT and FO won't listen to your transmission while that key is held down.

If you're using the <SPACE> bar with VoxATC, go to FSX onstallation folder, open "fsInsider.ini" and make sure

VatsimPTT=32

For joystick use...

Assign the same button as the one used for VoxATC as if you're goig to use it with MCE for ATC.

Then go to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew Experience\ folder

Open "mce.ini" and go to [GAMEPAD] section. Ensure...

UseWithVoxATC=1

Save the file.

Disable the ATC feaure in MCE <General> tab of the UI

When holding the PTT button down, all MCE speech reco will be suspended.

section. Ensure...

UseWithVoxATC=1

Save the file.

Disable the ATC feaure in MCE tab of the UI

I tried this method and it certainly works as a "push to stop listening" button and solves the voxatc atc comms problem but I still get interupted when any stray noises or talking is picked up.

What I was really after is a "push to start listening" button.

Regards Mike

I tried this method and it certainly works as a "push to stop listening" button and solves the voxatc atc comms problem but I still get interupted when any stray noises or talking is picked up.

What I was really after is a "push to start listening" button.

Regards Mike

You can achieve the same thing as what the mike icon does in UI using the NumLock keyboard key.

Make sure you're running the latest version. Feature only implemented a few months ago.

Click <More options> in "General" section of the UI.

Enable option "NumLock mutes reco"

After that, even when running the sim in full screen, you press NumLock key once to disable all MCE reco (keyboard Numlock light stays ON). You press it a second time to resume. You'll get on-screen text feedback regarding status.

UseWithVoxATC=1

Save the file.

Disable the ATC feaure in MCE tab of the UI

Hi,

set it up as described but does not work.

Im using MCE 2.5.78 and VoxATC 6.

VoxATC works fine but when I press the button MCE does not inhibit speech recognition....

One thing:

MCE recognizes the Button as #9 (CH Yoke) while VoxATC recognizes the same button as #8... 

When disabling VOXATC and running MCE alone, pressing the button does nothing.

Pressing the ENTF Key yields a beeping noise while pressed. I would expect the same from pressing the button but it does not.....

pls adv.

Cheers

Stephan 

Hi,

set it up as described but does not work.

Im using MCE 2.5.78 and VoxATC 6.

VoxATC works fine but when I press the button MCE does not inhibit speech recognition....

One thing:

MCE recognizes the Button as #9 (CH Yoke) while VoxATC recognizes the same button as #8... 

When disabling VOXATC and running MCE alone, pressing the button does nothing.

Pressing the ENTF Key yields a beeping noise while pressed. I would expect the same from pressing the button but it does not.....

pls adv.

Cheers

Stephan 

Just in case you assigned the wrong button in MCE.

Without VoxATC running....

Enable the <Talk to ATC> feature, go to <ATC> tab.

Tick option "Use whatever_button_on_Whatever_Joystick and click <Change> to assign a new button.

When you press different buttons, do you see a different button listed?

Eventually, assign a specific button and see if it cuts interaction with FO when you hold it down.

I use MCE with VoxATC and have the following settup;

Assign a joystick button to VoxATC via the joystick setup utility.

Then use FSUIPC to assign the same button that you use to VoxATC to the 'DELETE' key.

This stops MCE listening to your ATC chat. There is no PTT button for MCE which I agree would be better, research on this forum seems that the makers are against it for  some reason or other, having dealt with the makers on many occasions, I can only say that they are extremely helpful and knowledgeable and know what they are doing. If there was a good way of putting it in they would. MCE does pick up odd noises and I found it starting engines at the wrong time and going on a mystery tour without me saying things. The problem with the delete key stops the speech recognition and it turn stops the script function (which in turn it the copilot giving there own commands and then carrying them out). The only option I found was buying a new headset with an in line mute function. This stops any noise to get to the PC when you are not commanding things. 

gerald

firstly, I don't use voice for atc (yet).

for the moment though, i successfully (well almost) use the numlock key to alternatively mute speech recognition .... switching thru my logitech joystick's trigger switch / fsuipc to mute off then on with release (double negative there) to give co-pilot commands.

I would prefer the mute key to be scrolllock ......... as I don't use that in fsx, but need to use the keyboards numpad for tuning rotaries (sometimes i fluff it using the numpad while commanding and/or i forget to start mce with the numlock off)

can I change to scrolllock somehow ??

for now, cheers

john martin

or capslock ??

Considered giving that option. Unfortunately FSX ignores it, and as soon as you press it it is disabled again. So, can't use that one.

gerald

thanks, I thought this mute key was outside of fsx !!

seems then numlock is the only plausible option (if you rely on the indicator light to confirm the mode) for the way I use it despite needing to sequence its use with numpad use - it is less of an issue the more you do it !!

of course a mechanical mute on your mic works, just hard to find one with a trigger switch !

for now, cheers

john martin