Sign in to follow this  
Eef

NGX Flight Setup

Hi guys.

So when you take your 737 ngx out of the hangar for a nice flight, what steps do you make in the flight planning procedure? What addons do you use to create the ultimate flight?

e.g. topcat, efb, fscommander, fsbuild, opusfsx, etc.

I mainly use, topcat, efb, used to use fsbuild, but many information is duplicated so i find it diffucult which info to use from what addon like fsbuild and topcat, so it also matches with the ngx weights and trim settings.

Like to hear some and learn!

Thanks!

Eef

I use PFPX to plan my flight and FSGRW to inject weather. I export the FP from PFPX and import it in Aivlasoft EFB, the NGX and FSGRW. Then I send my performance data from PFPX to TopCat and take off :)

23.png

Question for you guys about PFPX.  I'm just trying to learn SIDS and STARS now that I have some payware aircraft with FMCs and want to start doing Vatsim flights.  Does PFPX show you the charts and/or at least put them into the flightplan when it generates a route?  I was thinking of fsbuild since I saw on their site it helps you figure out which SID or STAR to use based on your route direction, but it looked like it couldn't export to the NGX and looks like it's a fairly old piece of software.  

I was thinking about getting the Simplates Ultra app for my tablet but if PFPX will actually shows the charts then that would be awesome.  I downloaded their sample flight briefing but in 26 pages of what looked mostly like junk to me the novice, the only charts I saw were wind charts.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Typically with the NGX I use

- AS2012 (Weather and Textures)

- PFPX with TOPCAT (Flight Planning and Take off calculations)

- FSUIPC (Custom controls)

- EZDOK (View Cameras)

Prior to PFPX I also used FS Commander 9

Question for you guys about PFPX.  I'm just trying to learn SIDS and STARS now that I have some payware aircraft with FMCs and want to start doing Vatsim flights.  Does PFPX show you the charts and/or at least put them into the flightplan when it generates a route?  I was thinking of fsbuild since I saw on their site it helps you figure out which SID or STAR to use based on your route direction, but it looked like it couldn't export to the NGX and looks like it's a fairly old piece of software.  

I was thinking about getting the Simplates Ultra app for my tablet but if PFPX will actually shows the charts then that would be awesome.  I downloaded their sample flight briefing but in 26 pages of what looked mostly like junk to me the novice, the only charts I saw were wind charts.

PFPX doesn't give you SID/STAR charts. It does however suggest which SID/STAR is appropriate for your desired route.

If you intend on using VATSIM I advise against Simplates ultra as many of the charts are quite old (10-15 years in some cases) and might not reflect current procedures. Navigraph have a program called Navigraph Charts which allows you to purchase charts by airport for 0.24-0.36 EUR depending on how charts the airport has. Annual unlimited airport subscriptions are also available.  There are also websites where you can access current charts for free.

[uS] http://www.airnav.com/

Lacks Ground/Parking charts.

[EU] http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadcms/eadsite/index.php.html

Requires Free Registration

[AU] http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp

[NZ] http://aip.net.nz/

I will fire up REX WXPlus weather engine and let it download the latest weather and then I do the main planning with EFB using the latest Navigraph Cycles and the REX weather that has just loaded in.   If the flight plan I am filing (using Flightaware) has a jetway in it (J56, J501, J###) then I will load up FSBuild because for some stupid reason, EFB forgot to allow you to add jetways in your flight plans by just typing in the name of thet jetway so you have to put in the waypoints by their individual names and FSBuild gives me the name of the way points in each jetway.

Once that is filed I will fire up FSX and load in with FS2Crew, fire up VoxATC, wait for the NGX to power up, clear all the cargo and PAX, close the main door that opens auotmatically with FS2Crew then fire up FSPassengersX, load cargo and PAX then go to full screen mode and away we go.    When I land, go back to window mode, end the FSPassengerX flight, upload results to Southwest Virtual, PROFIT.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

PFPX doesn't give you SID/STAR charts. It does however suggest which SID/STAR is appropriate for your desired route.

If you intend on using VATSIM I advise against Simplates ultra as many of the charts are quite old (10-15 years in some cases) and might not reflect current procedures. Navigraph have a program called Navigraph Charts which allows you to purchase charts by airport for 0.24-0.36 EUR depending on how charts the airport has. Annual unlimited airport subscriptions are also available.  There are also websites where you can access current charts for free.

[uS] http://www.airnav.com/

Lacks Ground/Parking charts.

[EU] http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadcms/eadsite/index.php.html

Requires Free Registration

[AU] http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp

[NZ] http://aip.net.nz/

Oooo, thanks for the warning on Simplates.  I was thinking of grabbing it because I'm having a hard time finding stuff for places like Hong Kong or Chinese airports on my current world tour. Of course I'm not likely to fly those places on Vatsim so i guess it wouldn't really be an issue.  For offline use I could just take the recommended SID/STAR from PFPX then and accept the default restrictions when I plug them in the FMC and hope they're not off by much.  

I also learned about Pro ATC X last night.  I might just go that route.  I think I need to research VATSIM first and see how often controllers are available in my area.  I just know the FSX ATC has become totally useless since I started trying to use SIDS and STARS lol.  I can usually get by until TOD and then I just cancel my IFR plan and ask for landing clearance when the airport is in range.

edit:  Forgot to mention, right now I mostly use aircharts.org and charts.aero for STARS, SIDS and approach plates, then flightaware, simroutes and routfinder for planning.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

As has been stated, FlightAware for real world flight routings or VataWare for international flying. Skyvector.com for obtaining SIDS,STARS, airport diagrams, and approach plates. All those sites are free of charge. Navigraph is invaluable for updating the nav data in your FMC for any of your applicable payware aircraft. I think one nav cycle costs around $5. Worth every penny. Regards

I need a good flight planner honestly, any suggestions, preferably free? I understand SID/STARS Just fine but its always quite difficult for me to gather the information effectively. 

Im using flightaware with real used IFR Routes but I want to know if theres a better way.

I need a good flight planner honestly, any suggestions, preferably free? I understand SID/STARS Just fine but its always quite difficult for me to gather the information effectively. 

Im using flightaware with real used IFR Routes but I want to know if theres a better way.

I've heard some good things about FS Commander but its not freeware. I use FlightAware in conjunction with Skyvector. It works very well for me. You can print all of your applicable STARS,SIDS, airport diagrams and approach plates free of charge. I'll disengage  VNAV/LNAV usually around 30 miles out and below 10,000 and switch to VS/HDG mode to manage the rest of the approach and get the aircraft configured and in a position to intercept the localizer. Many people make the mistake of thinking that their chosen STAR will take them all the way to touchdown. In most cases, they will come in too high and too fast. Regards

For my route I use real world routes from FlightAware. REX Essential Plus for my weather and ground textures. FS Shade for amazing lighting and shading. UT2 for traffic. EzDok for cameras. RAAS Pro for more immersion. GEX for earth / city textures. I love my NGx.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I've heard some good things about FS Commander but its not freeware. I use FlightAware in conjunction with Skyvector. It works very well for me. You can print all of your applicable STARS,SIDS, airport diagrams and approach plates free of charge. I'll disengage  VNAV/LNAV usually around 30 miles out and below 10,000 and switch to VS/HDG mode to manage the rest of the approach and get the aircraft configured and in a position to intercept the localizer. Many people make the mistake of thinking that their chosen STAR will take them all the way to touchdown. In most cases, they will come in too high and too fast. Regards

Do actual airliners follow this procedure as well? What is the use of a STAR then? I know the ATC irl will announce headings so what would the STAR's use be then?

Thanks.

Do actual airliners follow this procedure as well? What is the use of a STAR then? I know the ATC irl will announce headings so what would the STAR's use be then?

Thanks.

Many STARS such as  MOTIF4 into KMDW dovetails neatly with the 4R approach into that airport. In real world operations, ATC will provide HDG, altitude, and airspeed instructions that often will deviate from the STAR being flown in the final descent stage. The vector legs of the STAR is used by ATC for sequencing purposes among other things. I usually don't connect the vector legs of the STAR to the transition unless I know for sure it works for the runway I'm shooting the approach into. Approach procedures can vary greatly from airport to airport based on a myriad of factors such as local traffic, weather, operational restrictions, terrain obstacles, etc. STARS are used for organizing traffic in busy air corridors, simplifying clearance delivery, and terrain avoidance in mountainous areas, among other things.Regards