Sign in to follow this  
Aaren

Skiathos X DX10 Boat And Vehicle Shadows Now Fixed

Hi all,

I have been watching with delight and dismay in how the different developers have reacted to the release of Steve's amazing DX10 Scenery Fixer. Top prize goes to FlyTampa for their immediately available fixes and solutions, as well as their newly released St. Maarten gem.

I have to say that I am bitterly disappointed at how some of the most well known and respected developers such as Orbx and 29Palms have handled the DX10 Scenery Fixer release. Many Orbx airports have numerous unsolved DX10 issues, and simple fixes for the grass at Cardiff (EGFF) and Siletz Bay (S45) have still not been given to the community. 29Palms created a wonderful Skiathos X add-on, but this is plagued with shadow problems of some boats and vehicles.

Since I am so very tired of waiting for 29Palms to fix one of my favourite sceneries, I spent a few hours today trying to find a solution and have managed to get rid of the boat and vehicle shadows. The fixed files are available here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!6VRnTbrR!RwolsU7nWci06R6-YlgcPUGzyc5u2Wtv5WwZXS4aemA

The above file is zipped and contains 4 fixed BGL files and the original ones, in case you overwrite them without having a backup.

I am a complete novice and it took me all of 3 hours to do this. Shame on you 29Palms for lettings us all down and not taking this into your own hands!

Aaren

Thanks for this and your comments, Aaren - they're well put - and particularly this little snippet:

I have to say that I am bitterly disappointed at how some of the most well known and respected developers such as Orbx have handled the DX10 Scenery Fixer release. Many Orbx airports have numerous unsolved DX10 issues, and simple fixes for the grass at Cardiff (EGFF) and Siletz Bay (S45) have still not been given to the community.

This issue is that there are dozens of different devs all around the world, working with Orbx, with no single coding or quality control standard. "DX10 is not officially supported by Orbx" - is a misnomer for "let's not worry about it - just get it out the door, and on to the next one". "So it has shadows under the static aircraft - who cares - we don't "officially" support it." But there's always a big brewhaha when an "advance" is made - EGML, for e.g. - but why couldn't Orbx create some laison with Steve (as with the FTX G lights) and have him give all the devs a little skills upgrade - in DX10 useage/compliance - things to watch for, etc., and then have them apply that knowledge to their product? I would gladly forgo my "Senior's Discount" were that to be done in place of it. 

All the Best,

peej

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thank you too for your encouraging words Paul.

Yes, it's very frustrating to have spent so much money on add-ons and only see a small minority of developers actually actively support these in DX10. A friend of mine contacted LH Simulations and Taxi2Gate by email to ask about their support for Steve's DX10 fixer, and they didn't even bother to reply, totally disgraceful support in my opinion.

I would like to see FSDG fix their Kastellorizo scenery, 29Palms fix Mykonos, Skiathos and Southhampton, LH Simulations to make their LHBP night textures DX10 compatible, and Orbx to work on their product issues, the list goes on...

I don't think Orbx have the skills to manage running their development in such a professional manner. They have too many independent developers guarding their own special scenery creation techniques from what I've seen, and rather than creating their own in-house scenery creation bible, they waste precious development know-how to make things like cows move.

Andreas Aarens

I don't think Orbx have the skills to manage running their development in such a professional manner. They have too many independent developers guarding their own special scenery creation techniques from what I've seen, and rather than creating their own in-house scenery creation bible, they waste precious development know-how to make things like cows move.

:LMAO:  :LMAO: 

Superb!!   Andreas! - we need you as our spokesman!!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have a sneaking feeling developers stance will change when P3D 2.0 releases. If it's broke in DX10 then there's a good bet that it will not miraculously start working under DX11. Probably the reverse is true that if a scenery is working good under DX10 with Steve's fixer it will probably work fine under DX11. If developers want to continue selling it as P3D compatible they will be forced to adapt or drop support for P3D.

At any rate it will still be a benefit to people who want to continue to use FSX/DX10 once fixes start coming.

That comment up there about the cows was indeed funny.  :LMAO:

Thank you for all your comments.

While I guess my mention of cows is funny, it at the same time shows the lack of focus. This is about flight simulation and you would think more emphasis would be put on making sure the approach and runway lighting system is done correctly and realistically, but instead bird chirps, butterflies and moving cows are allocated precious development time.

I cannot ever remember thinking about butterflies or hearing birds chirping while in a cockpit with the engine running. I find it quite disturbing to be in a 737 cockpit with all the windows closed and still hearing birds.

For anybody having problems with the above download link, which I think only works well with Chrome. I've uploaded the file here as well now:

http://www.multiupload.nl/P56XV2U7A0

This now gives you 8 different download options to choose from.

Andreas Aarens

Andreas - check your pm's please! Thanks,

pj

Andreas - you saved my day with this fix! Thank you a million - and while you are here, Paul, a big hug and kudos to you for helping us all to a better sim experience!

[Hugsi-Bear mode=off]

Mas

Many thanks to you Andreas!!! I havent flown around Skiathos since i switched to DX10 and now i can thanks to your efforts :rolleyes: . Shame on you 29Palms, a self proclaimed novice fixed your product in three hours!... you should be embarrassed :mad:

Hi all,

I have been watching with delight and dismay in how the different developers have reacted to the release of Steve's amazing DX10 Scenery Fixer. Top prize goes to FlyTampa for their immediately available fixes and solutions, as well as their newly released St. Maarten gem.

I have to say that I am bitterly disappointed at how some of the most well known and respected developers such as Orbx and 29Palms have handled the DX10 Scenery Fixer release. Many Orbx airports have numerous unsolved DX10 issues, and simple fixes for the grass at Cardiff (EGFF) and Siletz Bay (S45) have still not been given to the community. 29Palms created a wonderful Skiathos X add-on, but this is plagued with shadow problems of some boats and vehicles.

Since I am so very tired of waiting for 29Palms to fix one of my favourite sceneries, I spent a few hours today trying to find a solution and have managed to get rid of the boat and vehicle shadows. The fixed files are available here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!6VRnTbrR!RwolsU7nWci06R6-YlgcPUGzyc5u2Wtv5WwZXS4aemA

The above file is zipped and contains 4 fixed BGL files and the original ones, in case you overwrite them without having a backup.

I am a complete novice and it took me all of 3 hours to do this. Shame on you 29Palms for lettings us all down and not taking this into your own hands!

Aaren

Thanks for this fix.

Does anyone else have missing 3d lights at LGSK? The lights show up using dx9, but not using dx10.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Update: I sent an email to Lars and he will be updating the airport to dx10 after he finishes some projects he is working on.

That's a great dev!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.