Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turner447

Struggling with Final Approaches

Good afternoon / Early Evening,

I having some trouble with the 777 i also had this with 737 and ILS approaches. especially trying to get lined up with it from the route I've just taken.

Basically when programming the Flight computer i put my STAR in and all the good stuff. then i get the ROUTE DISCONTINUITY and i copy the CI27 (say for example) which is the first point under the DISCON line. 

This is due to a video i watched on the 737 and he did this so assumed it was normal.

I can never get lined up properly;y and always tend to do nose down approach. I did follow the tutorial which is good! but when i do my own routes i just simply have to pull some G and nose dive to make i to the runway.

If you need some more information or can't understand the point i'm trying put across let me know.

Regards

Chris

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

some screen shots might help when this is happening so we can see what configuration you have the aircraft in, but when you are on approach and coming onto final, are you arming the localiser and then approach button whilst you are still below the glideslope, do you have ILS active.  You maybe programming the FMC right with regards to STAR, but are you flying the aircraft properly in the correct config?

IF you set up the STAR too late in the flight, like when FSX ATC finally vectors you in, it throws everything off like altitude/GS where you should be turning, waypoints.

I'll have a go with some screen shots. But the PFD is even showing it as a tight approach (rather bendy on the map). i have to disconnect the auto pilot as LOC and GS rarely work with it. so i do know that i'm doing something wrong.

Damn it yet another duplicate thread... Could you perhaps make a video so we could try and deduce where you are going wrong?

One thing would be to check whether or not you entered the correct course and LOC frequency information into their respective locations, that could be why they don't work.

Damn it yet another duplicate thread... Could you perhaps make a video so we could try and deduce where you are going wrong?

Sorry! if it needs removing just point in the right direction.

It sounds like you're basically coming in too high. That discontinuity may be there for a reason. It may be there IRL as a point where ATC would vector you around to the FAF. 

ATC vectors would give you more time to slow down & descend. If you remove that portion, you'd most likely end up too high on the approach and have to dive bomb the runway, especially if there's alot of altitude restrictions that are keeping you high and/or fast.

I'm going to try an Offline flight where i know what my STAR is going to be and the runway in use. then i will take snapshots so i can rectify my mistakes!

I'm going to try an Offline flight where i know what my STAR is going to be and the runway in use. then i will take snapshots so i can rectify my mistakes!

you should do that with the flight you was on about and we will be able to help you better, make sure you have a 2D view of your FMC showing and all the autopilot buttons, you can PM me if you dont want to keep filling up this post.

If the approach is tight, try reducing your airspeed as much as possible/practical. This will mean a high flap setting......

Just a quick two bobs worth.........