Sign in to follow this  
chad556

Word of Caution if coming or going to Guam in FSX

I've already been doing that. In fact, my latest test was with a fresh install of fsx. PGUM was the only scenery activated. Still doesn't work

Billy, are you sure you're not using an earlier version of the scenery (that may have had fewer bells and whistles)? I notice that the one we're talking about has "v2" in the title.

I've already been doing that. In fact, my latest test was with a fresh install of fsx. PGUM was the only scenery activated. Still doesn't work

If you have the Image Sim VHHH installed and start there, what is your VAS reading?

I noticed your PC is much more powerful than mine, but yours is fairly close to the one Ryan reworked. How close is your setup to the PC that Ryan reworked?

Billy Bluestar

Billy, are you sure you're not using an earlier version of the scenery (that may have had fewer bells and whistles)? I notice that the one we're talking about has "v2" in the title.

The readme says V2. The PGUM_ADE_MT is dated 2/18/2013.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

AA=1 and Anisotropic=1 (fsx.cfg)

Auto-Gen = Dense

Other Sliders = Max except Water=High2.x

FTX Global

FS Genesis

Active Sky 2012

Image Simulation - VHHH

Something you might look at is this thread - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/413244-some-changes-ryan-made-to-my-fsx/ where Ryan did some work on a PC that was struggling. When I saw the results, my machine was very close to this on as far as set up.

I follow Ryan's lead on these things because of his vast knowledge of PMDG and FSX.

Billy Bluestar

Billy, I'm sorry to report that despite making my cfg replicate TABS exactly and matching his inspector settings, I still was not able to complete a flight into this scenery in the NGX. However... in the default trike, I was able to at least look around the airport, but with a VAS of 3.3gb and rising upon loading up. Just as a point of reference, in the default trike at default KSEA my VAS reads less then 1.4gb. upon loading the default trike at PGUM V2, It jumps to 3.3gb, and that's without any weather.

Theres just something not adding up with you being able to fly into the scenery, much less from another payware scenery addon, and in the PMDG. 

chad556, on 26 Oct 2013 - 7:09 PM, said:

in the default trike, I was able to at least look around the airport, but with a VAS of 3.3gb and rising upon

I just got the following using tower view -

1. Default FSX PGUM scenery with Trike = 1.041

2. Addon PGUM with Trike = 2.823

4. PGUM + NGX (House livery) = 3.540

GPU is running at about 24.9% and CPU between 25% and 72% (4 Core)

Have you tried Duplicate Object Finder from Scruffy Duck to verify you do not have duplicate PGUMs installed?

I would be interested to see what your VAS is with the default scenery and the Trike only on PGUM.

Are you running any other scenery in your Scenery Library when running the add-on PGUM?

Billy Bluestar

I just got the following using tower view -

1. Default FSX PGUM scenery with Trike = 1.041

2. Addon PGUM with Trike = 2.823

4. PGUM + NGX (House livery) = 3.540

GPU is running at about 24.9% and CPU between 25% and 72% (4 Core)

Have you tried Duplicate Object Finder from Scruffy Duck to verify you do not have duplicate PGUMs installed?

I would be interested to see what your VAS is with the default scenery and the Trike only on PGUM.

Are you running any other scenery in your Scenery Library when running the add-on PGUM?

Billy Bluestar

I have no other PGUM sceneries installed. It is a fresh FSX install. The only other scenery that is activated in my library is FTX Global which is only textures and should have very little impact...if at all. My VAS reading were the same as yours in the trike at PGUM V2. They started at 2.8gb and while flying around the airport for a few minutes, it eventually grew to 3.3. Lets concentrate on your number 4. You said you got a VAS of 3.540 at PGUM in the NGX. Thats no different than what I get and everyone else. At 3.540gb VAS, you will likely NOT be able to land at any other add-on airport, or accomplish a long haul flight. I am certain that if you were to do a flight (with weather) out of the PGUM V2 scenery in the NGX to VHHH, you would not make it. leaving your departure airport with anything more than 3.0gb is asking for an OOM. None the less, I sincerely appreciate you helping me try to alleviate the issue with this airport, it's very kind of you. Frankly, I'm jealous you're able to accomplish what so many of us cant with similar PC specs as yours. 

I used to have this scenery installed and wound up removing it for all of the slowdowns and VAS usage.  Now using a modified AFCAD available on one of the libraries.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

None the less, I sincerely appreciate you helping me try to alleviate the issue with this airport, it's very kind of you.

We're all in this together. :)

I will give the flight a try later today going the other way in the NGX. I guess the only real solution is to deactivate PGUM after departure?

Billy Bluestar

We're all in this together. :)

I will give the flight a try later today going the other way in the NGX. I guess the only real solution is to deactivate PGUM after departure?

Billy Bluestar

Deactivating it wont free up your VAS unfortunately. Once its been used, you cant get that space back until restarting the sim. 

" due to nature of FSX, this space is not freed as you fly along, nor has anyone yet come up with a plan how to free it up or fix this problem. So for example: you start your flight with an addon aircraft and addon airport, and your VAS usage is 2800MB. When you fly along, this usage will slowly grow. If you don’t overfly any other addon airports, it is bound to grow maybe couple of 100 MBs. let’s say for the sake of an example: up to 3200MB. When you come into range of your destination, and let’s assume you have an addon airport, which loads about 300MB into VAS, you will successfully land, as you will end up with 3500MB VAS." - A very knowledgeable simmer that cannot be mentioned on AVSIM.

using the reference above, if you depart with a VAS of 3.54, then it is 100% certain that you will not be able land at any good quality addon scenery airport without an OOM crash. 

using the reference above, if you depart with a VAS of 3.54, then it is 100% certain that you will not be able land at any good quality addon scenery airport without an OOM crash.

I flew the PGUM-VHHH trip in the NGX this afternoon on Vatsiim using the Imagine Sim VHHH scenery and AS2012 weather. On initial loading at PGUM the max VAS was about 3.75. After T/O it dropped to about 3.6 in rain on climbout. I checked the VAS a couple of hours into the flight and it had dropped to 3.2. On arrival to VHHH it increased to 3.35 on final when a couple of aircraft from Vatsim were about to depart. I ran FTX Global, Imagine Sim VHHH, Add-on PGUM, AS2012, with Asia and Oceania also checked in Scenery Library. Total logged time in FSX was 4.8.

Billy Bluestar

I flew the PGUM-VHHH trip in the NGX this afternoon on Vatsiim using the Imagine Sim VHHH scenery and AS2012 weather. On initial loading at PGUM the max VAS was about 3.75. After T/O it dropped to about 3.6 in rain on climbout. I checked the VAS a couple of hours into the flight and it had dropped to 3.2. On arrival to VHHH it increased to 3.35 on final when a couple of aircraft from Vatsim were about to depart. I ran FTX Global, Imagine Sim VHHH, Add-on PGUM, AS2012, with Asia and Oceania also checked in Scenery Library. Total logged time in FSX was 4.8.

Billy Bluestar

wow. I'm not sure what to say. I tried the flight as well, and I OOMed while taxing for departure at PGUM. I'm baffled. 

wow. I'm not sure what to say. I tried the flight as well, and I OOMed while taxing for departure at PGUM. I'm baffled.

Me too.

I don't overclock. I do run AS2012 and Vatsim through Simconnect. My FSX computer does use the MS Firewall and Security Essentials with FSX excluded. My SSD is for my operating system only. My system is really middle of the road with I5-3570, GTX660 and Win7-64, really nothing special. The one thing I do not do is mix and match setups. Although Nick and xxxxx have some very good ideas, I stay with Ryan's recommendations and have also followed RR's recommendations in the NGX manual.

Maybe Ryan has a solution or explanation.

Billy Bluestar

I have used Nicks setup and guides for my install, and I too have an SSD dedicated to the OS and another for FSX only. I wonder if using simconnect for addon weather, and FSinn would do the trick? Back to the drawing board.

Back to the drawing board.

Keep us updated.

Billy Bluestar

I just noticed in today's uploads that Version 3 of Guam X is ready for download.

I'm going to download it later and let you know how it works.

Billy Bluestar