Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

A DX10 convert's story

Several times over the past...forget how long, I've tried DX10 and came away less than impressed. The Fixer came out and I became, well, a little bit impressed. There were still a few deal breakers for me to be fully sucked in. 1:The aircraft selection window refused steadfastly to be anti-aliased (I use it for painting) 2: Flashing GPS in the VC and 3: Tiny pinpricks of 'light' at airports. I begrudgingly accepted 1, tried not to look at 2 and pretended the pinpricks of light were people photographing my perfect landings. :rolleyes:

Then last week I tried to reinstall AMD's 34.4 drivers. First uninstall 34.9.(The reasons are another story) Yep, blue screens etc. and all the angst that goes with 34.9. Right! Out comes the ATI 5780, a faithful servant for several years, you're fired! In my spare machine I had an nVidia GTX460, with a mighty bound it leapt from mundane tasks to IMPORTANT work.

To be honest I didn't hold out much hope of this feeble 1GB 460 being man enough. Was I wrong?! #1 miraculously became anti-aliased, #2 reduced to almost negligible and #3 I can't see my pricks of light any more. Did they all get bored and go home?

So far the lowly 460 is taking everything in it's stride (my settings are almost all on full right or dang near it.)

So apart from FSX desperate to use my smaller side monitor and having to be dragged back (why does it DO that?) and it's sensitivity of pop-up handling (flickering cursor syndrome) all is good. I really don't see DX9 as an option any longer.

The end.

~xxx~

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Good on ya, Ron! Well bl***y done!   :wink: 

All the Best, 

pj.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yer bloody well welcome! 

Mind you, it took yer long enough ter get it goin' di'n it, eh?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It's not over just yet! While I was typing that I thought 'I'm just asking for trouble!' Sure enough...trouble.

Have you come across this one?

Flying in single player FULL SCREEN no worries.

Flying in Multiplayer FSX refuses to go Full Screen. Instead it stays at the same resolution but without the Window surround. I can maximise the window, THEN go to full screen but the display doesn't go over to my side monitor. Consequently, GPS can't be dragged over. Grrr!

I should have stayed with the racing!

I only have one monitor but the fix for the full screen issue is to

maximise the screen using "Pseudo Full Screen" which gives you

the same picture on the screen.

Its second advantage is that cockpit tooltips still work, they don't in

Dx10 Alt+Return.

pseudo_full_screen.zip

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=pseudo&CatID=root&Go=Search

Direct Link. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=158165

Regards,

Nick.

Stand down everyone. Problem sorted. It was a case of the poor old fsx.cfg being cluttered up with conflicting graphics card details. It was still showing entries for the cast aside ATI as well as the newly adopted NVidia.

To reiterate, there is no going back to DX9!

Thanks for the input Nick. Tooltips don't worry me, in fact I have them turned off. B)  

All the same, Ron - "Congratulations" are still in order.    :Party: 

There are some guys who can never get DX10 going without something or other stopping them: yet others who have the odd question here or there, and they eventually get it sorted; and then there are the guys who have amazed me by just "doing it" - it seems - without the slightest problem at all!

There's a great lesson here.  I think DX10 can work on anyone's system.  It's just a matter of finding the right combination.  For me, the combination is meticulously going through all the instructional material and, first understanding, then complying.  nVidia makes a difference, I believe. (I've never used AMD graphics cards.)

I highly recommend everyone do what Ron has done ... stay with it until it works.  It's worth it.

Thanks Ron for the motivational posting.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg