Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

DX10 glitch with bloom enabled

Lurk, on 22 Nov 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

I hope to get it all done soon and report my findings. If teh issue is not fixed I'll live without bloom, as everything else is running fine.

Did you try using a default FSX Aircraft to see if the problem went away? And turn AI to zero.

I'm sorry to report that after multiple add-on exclusions, settings change and re-installs (FSX itself included), AMD driver settings change, full-screens and single-screens (windowed and not), shader cache rebuild, fsx.cfg rebuild, FSX display settings change which include scenery, graphics, display, traffic and weather, WOAI aircraft enable and disable and painstaking missing mips aircraft textures conversion plus everything else I forgot to mention here but which I went through for the past week, the black squares flashing problem with bloom enabled rears its ugly butt ALWAYs and ONLY when using REX clouds. No such behavior with default cloud textures or with clear skies, so my conclusions are pretty much drawn, also because I've had this problem on two different sets of cards with a significant architecture change (6950's and 7950's and yes, I did try to disable Crossfire).

So unfortunately for me it's down to REX clouds and bloom = flashing squares when crossing and passing 1st cloud layer.

I have to give up either one, so obviously for the time being, if I want to keep flying with real weather and realistic clouds and not the default cotton puffs, I have to disable DX10 bloom.

nope, and not sure how to do it. Can it be achieved through your Fixer? I'll be on my PC shortly and see to check this out. I also want to try by disabling lights bloom using your tool.

It's described in the manual somewhere I think near the end it's an option in fsx.cfg MissingTextureAlert=1 cannot recall which section though.

ok, I've tried adding the ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 line under the [Terrain] section of FSX.cfg, and I never saw one single alert during my last half hour test flight, while I obviously encountered my usual dozen dreaded quickly flashing black squares.

I think I'm going to give up bloom and forget about it. Another member posted in the first page of this thread claiming he was having the same problem, but he doesn't seem to be bothered as much as I am.

I'm having great troubles thinking there is no relation with REX clouds or REX weather settings and bloom interaction, since this glitch is completely absent when flying clear skies,

Needless to say, to me it's obviously a no-brainer when having to decide which to give up, bloom or clouds.

I already tried lights slider at 0%, will try with reflective down at 0% as well. thanks a lot for your help.

I have exactly the same issue with flashing black squares and have disabled bloom to get rid of them.

What is the advantage of having bloom active?

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

so that makes three of us in this thread. wish someone (developers, any?) would have a look at this. Are you using REX clouds by any chance?

Bloom simply makes the game prettier by adding light refraction on certain surfaces, but those squares are such a show stopper that disabling bloom it's a no-brainer.

Yes, using REX clouds + DX-10 with all the tweaks for it. Guess I can do without bloom if that all it does.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

I'm pretty much convinced REX (or some REX cloud textures) is the culprit.

As I've said and after extensive (and I mean EXTENSIVE) testing for the past three weeks ,this problem arises exclusively when the combination REX clouds + bloom is present. In all other situations it is simply non.existent.This is my last time coming out with this statement.

Nobody seems to be willing to look into this further (at developer level, since my knowledge is sufficient only for doing trials and errors and maybe convert a few textures here and there).

So it's bye bye bloom and thx for helping anyway.

Have you tried the latest version v1.2 Build28 - it wont fix it since I doubt its a shader issue (shaders cannot invent geometry except in a geometry shader and there aren't any involved) - but it gives you more options to control bloom - so you may be able to have some forms of bloom working.

thx stevejp, didn't know it was out and will download it immediately regardless of bloom. fortunately SweetFX is not making me miss FSX bloom, but if someone at REX tried a flight in my same area with their clouds and bloom enabled, they'd probably be scratching their heads wondering what the hell all those black flashing squares are.