Sign in to follow this  
Leafhopper

What was the "EVIL" Win7 Update?

The other day I was researching about why FSX will crash to desktop after varying lengths of flight time and I came across a thread about a Windows update that was found to cause this problem. I looked in the update records of my computer and found that I had this update, but, foolishly, I didn't remove it at that time. Now, I can't find the thread (even using the search function), to get the update number.

I have had several CTD's after 30 minutes or sometimes even longer of flight. Not related to the menu crashes others had. When I get this crash, I can "alt/enter" and get the window back, but the window is black. Sometimes, I can then do "alt" again and get the menu bar and close FSX.

Also, unrelated to above, I did the latest GeForce driver update and seem to have a problem with that, too. I have a GeForce GTX 650 card with 8 gig ram on board, and sometimes I get a weird graphics problem where the plane is not visible (virtual cockpit) and the scenery is blank except for a couple of autogen buildings floating in blank space. Is there a way to uninstall the new driver (not a beta) and return to the previous driver?

Be kind, I'm a return flight simmer after several years of absence (due to health problems) and I don't remember all the tricks and tips I knew years ago. Also, when I was simming back then, I was using WinXP and am now trying to find my way around Win 7 home premium.

Leafhopper

I cannot believe how simple your request is.  It's KB2670838.  If you have a crash related to the D3D11.dll with SweetFX, this KB should be removed.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Take it you got the latest  fsuipc  installed  since  this  helps with some  ctds  not  saying it  will fix  yours  though

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Was the Win7 update problem only related to SweetFX?

Yes.  The ENBSeries has the d3d9.dll too so maybe it might have affected that program too.  I know of no other KB that is creating issues with FSX/FSX addons at this time.

Best regards,

jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, I went ahead and removed this update just in case I want an addon that might be in conflict with this update. I read where this was an optional update and not considered critical anyway, so, I guess I am alright!

Thanks for the information!

Leafhopper

Glad it worked for you too!  One of the major reasons for our CTD Forum.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM