Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Megascenery Earth

how do you change/move the "priority" in the Scenery Library?

Go into the scenery library in FSX and highlight the row that has the scenery entry you want to change priority for.  Then, click "Move Up" or "Move Down" to change its priority.  The higher in the list(lower the number), the higher that scenery entry's priority will be.

Second, is photoreal scenery simply satilite photos?

For the most part, yes.  However, it can be aerial photos too.  In the end though, it's more or less the same in the sim.

I'd like very much to fly in areas that look as they really are.

Pretty much the only way to get scenery that looks like they really are is photo real scenery.  Anything else is just a random guess by FSX's land class system.  Each tile will be somewhat correct for what you'd see if you flew over that area in real life.  But it won't be exact.

As for what's the best...well, that's in the eye of the beholder.  Me personally.  I can't stand the land class system.  I much prefer photo real.  However, yes, it's flat, one season only usually, one time of day, etc.  But, it's the best representation of what's really there.  The land class stuff, even with FTXGlobal, is just so mundane and repetitive - even with a good land class.  This type of scenery just can't compare to the variety and randomness that mother nature can generate in real life.

Anyway, try out photo real.  You can get some free from blueskyscenery(google that) and give it a try.  Then, decide for yourself.  It's the only way really as we each have our own likes and dislikes.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

klamal,

Thanks very much for your reply, it helped a great deal. But, I'd to ask, what is the purpose of setting the scenery to a higher priority? I have tried Bluesky scenery, and thinks it great. I don't mind flying in day only at all, prefer it really.

But I'm really curious about this priority thing?

Thanks,

Larry

But, I'd to ask, what is the purpose of setting the scenery to a higher priority

Well, I'm not sure how I can say it in any other words other than it does just that.  Gives priority to one scenery over the other.  Whichever is higher priority will be what gets rendered - basically.  This does have exceptions to the rule.  But, let's say you had two versions of the same airport(not a good idea).  Whichever one was higher in the list(lower priority number) would be the one that gets displayed/used by FSX.  It isn't necessarily that cut and dry for real as things can "blend" together too.  But, that's the gist of it - at least in how my understanding of it anyway.  Anyone else feel free to add more detail and/or correct me.

One thing with photo real scenery and this priority stuff is that with photo real, it really doesn't matter where it is in the library.  It will be rendered regardless.  You can use this to your advantage though some times like getting things like UTX night lighting to appear on photo real roads at night.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I have MSE 2.0 and the Ultra Res cities installed with FSX. Can I use the same files and path and just add to P3D? One install that is referenced in both scenery.cfg files?

I currently own 18 of the 50 states and I love it.   I don't miss landclass based scenery packages like FTX Global.    To answer question 3;  No.  It is not compatible.   If you load FTX Global first, it will take over and shut off MSE.   IF you load MSE on top of FTX Global you won't get any autogen landclass stuff or night lighting.    You have to choose what you want;    Perfect representation of the United States in a Summer setting with every neighborhood, road and building shown (albeit flat) or do you want a fictional but detailed United States (or the rest of the world) with 3D autogen everywhere.    If you are a VFR flier, stick with FTX Global.  If you are a Tube Liner pilot like me, MSE.

I thought I would miss the autogen but as a tube liner flier Autogen is only useful during one point of flight, landing.    You are way to busy during take off to enjoy the scenery rushing by and once you get up past 2000 feet AGL, the MSE scenery takes on an almost 3D look to it anyway and the higher you go the greater it looks.    The greatest thing about MSE besides the accurate depiction of where you are flying is the huge boost you get back in frame rate because of all the autogen getting cleared.     I fly on a triple monitor setup with NGX and MSE saved me from going insane with the constant changes in experience from airport to airport autogen brought.  Some flights would be fine then others would drop to 15 FPS.     With MSE I am 30 FPS solid all the time, even when flying online with VatSIM.   When offline, MSE allows me to turn on pretty heavy AI traffic at airports and still keep mostly pegged to 30 FPS with no stutters.

For the states I don't own yet, I do fly with FTX Global which is a great package itself, if for nothing else than the night lighting is incredible.    

Another question you didn't ask that I will answer is that yes, MSE scenery does include night textures for most major cities but you are forever stuck in summer.    Since I fly a lot around the lower part of the US, it always looks green anyway except for like 2 months out of the year.   The nice thing about FTX Global is you get all the world for $99 bucks.    Each state of MSE costs from 25-40 dollars.

I just did a flight this evening on VatSIM coming in to FS Dream Teams McCarin International in Las Vegas with the Nevada MSE turned on and I felt like I was really there coming in on final 01L.   It was gorgeous.

Buy your homestate and try it out.  If you like the experience I highly recommend you buy states in clusters as you get a hidden discount for being clusters of states.

I do not see on MegaScenery's website if the purchased states for FSX work with Prepar3D?

AMD Threadripper 1950x 16 core, 32GB of RAM, SSD, Liquid Cooled. 

I do not see on MegaScenery's website if the purchased states for FSX work with Prepar3D?

I have various MegaScenery Earth 2.0 states, and a few Ultra-res cities.  The states that I have were purchased for FSX over the past 15 months.  All of them work fine with my current configuration of P3D 2.2.

I installed them all into P3D with their *free* Scenery Install Manager:  http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store/cart.php?target=news&mode=view&news_id=63

That extracted everything into the desired directories.  But as I'm thinking about it, I remember having to tell P3D to add the new areas.

That's in the "World... Scenery Library" menu, then "Add Area".  You'll tell it where your MSE files are (each state or city separately), and you should see them pop up in the list.

Make sure you put a check in the "Enable" box, if it doesn't do it automatically.

Hope this helps!

I have MSE 2.0 and the Ultra Res cities installed with FSX. Can I use the same files and path and just add to P3D? One install that is referenced in both scenery.cfg files?

Did you ever receive a reply to this message? I have my MSE2 for FSX on a second hard drive and would like to use their current installations with P3D.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Did you ever receive a reply to this message? I have my MSE2 for FSX on a second hard drive and would like to use their current installations with P3D.

Never got a reply to that specific post but confirmed that's what you need to do. Just add to the P3D scenery with a reference to the existing installation location.

Thank you for that prompt reply.  Much appreciated.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere