Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Buying PMDG 737 NGX - some questions and concerns

You definitely don't need the Angle Of Attack videos. :wink:

I can tell from how quickly you are getting going and picking up the NGX, that you'll be absolutely fine with it, learning from your own experiences, some of the great (free) YouTube vids, and of course, from this excellent community that will help you also.

Well thank You - one thing to add. Ask any question about the plane, than imagine keywords to describe it, than search for them in manual and I am pretty sure the answer will be there. PMDG did amazing job preparing the manuals. :)

Hi All,

I read this topic very well because Mephic's question was exactly my question and I would say many thanks to you guys for your devotion responding all questions. Now my idea is much clear.

I got only one more question about PMDG planes...

What's the difference between 777 and 737 models? Are they just a different Aircraft model or there is a difference in term of sim? Is it one more realistic than the other? I can see that 777 is newer that 737... is it a plus?

thanks folks

Emilio

Emilio

As it has already been covered in other topics - both are great simulations and the main difference is 737 is a great sim of 737 and 777 great sim of 777 :)

I don't own 777 yet (waiting for fs2crew) but started to gather information about it and it is a much different plane, not only size-wise but systems-wise. And it also is a long hauler. Anyway - NGX deserves to be bought. Tutorial 1, plus full checklist from cold and dark to secure and shutdown and You're good to go. Tutorial 2 covers Very interesting approach so You may try it too (plus it shows You whole flight with necessary preparations)

I like short flights more so I decided to go 737 way for now and I have to admit - it is amazing. But fs2crew + emergency NGX is IMO a must have for it. Takes lot of workload and provides huge immersion.

But before You decide to go fs2crew - first learn to operate by Yourself so You know what happens during flight.

Anyway - id say You must decide if You want short or long flights and than make a call. Btw 800/900 models can do long hauls too :) currently I'm flying 737-700 (bought extra package) and having a blast :)

1. I don't have money for external flight planner. I fly mostly in Europe region. How can I create a flight plan in PMDG format?
2. I don't want to use SIDs & STARs because as far as I know default ATC doesn't recognize them (and I want to stay with default ATC, please don't ask why - just want and this is it). Am I able to use FSX internal flight planner or REX flight planner (the essentials plus version features real world flight plans) and fly the approach according to FSX ATC guidance? What I mean is - will the plane fly FMC flight plan which doesn't have SID/STAR? In default FSX I fly with GPS to last VOR, than I let ATC to be guided to the runway, than I use ILS and when I see the airport and I am approaching decision height, I switch off Auto PIlot and use PAPI lights to land - can I do this in PMDG?
3. Is the PMDG compatible with Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Multipanel from Saitek (will be shipped in few days... :) )
4. If I will go through the complete checklist mentioned above (from cold and dark...) will I be able to make any flight I want in the FSX? 
5. Is FMC very hard to learn? I don't want to use it very deeply. Just need to put my flight plan there, put fuel and passengers in plane and make it fly. I want to do approach from decision height manually. I don't want the plane to land itself. I also want to be able to fly approach manually if ATC will guide me to different runway or use something like heading knobs/height knobs/speed knobs just as in default plane (Saitek Multipanel is featuring those and I want to be able to use them)?
6. Are there any other things which I should concern? 

You can fly the PMDG 737 without a lot of knowledge about the systems, and get a lot of enjoyment.  You will probably need to know a little about how to program through the CDU (Keypad Control Display Unit), in order to be able to use the autopilot and flight management computer, but that is not difficult. Information for this can be found on YouTube.

The big thing about both the PMDG 737 and the PMDG 777, is that the more you know about these aircrafts, the more you will enjoy flying them.

In my opinion, the best way to get the most information, in the most enjoyable format, is by purchasing courses from Angle of Attack (www.flyaoamedia.com).

They have full and extremely detailed courses on both the PMDG 737 and PMDG 777, and there is no better source of information anywhere. The course videos and training flights, are extremely entertaining and informative.

1. It is a simple matter to manually type the flightplan into the CDU. It's part of the fun of flying this aircraft.

2. You don't have to select SIDs and STARs.  Simply push the DEP/ARR key and just select the runway when ATC tells you which runway you will be landing at.

3. Yes.  I use a Saitek Yoke and Multipanel.  Works perfectly.

4.Yes. You can fly anywhere that you like. The checklist merely insures that you don't forget to set essential switches and knobs for takeoff, etc.

5. The FMC is very easy to use once you understand its logic. Basically it will walk you through all of the steps, itself. If you start on the POS page, set the IRUs (Inertial Reference Units on the overhead panel) then go to the ROUTE page and place your departure/arrival airports and route, then look at the lower right line and you will see PERF>, which is guiding you to the performance page. After completing the PERF page, look on the lower right again, and you will see THRUST REF> (you can skip this page), then on the lower right, again, you will see TAKE OFF>, where you can indicate your flap setting (5) and get your Vspeeds.  That's basically all there is to it.

6. The PMDG 737 or 777, both use more resources than some small aircraft, and can cause memory issues if you sim is set wrong. Be sure to turn off a lot of photoscenery that you would normally use for VFR flying, because it will use a lot of virtual address space, and cause an out of memory error. I keep traffic turned down low, use no photoscenery and shut off UTX on long flights.

You definitely don't need the Angle Of Attack videos. :wink:

The "need" for Angle of Attack courses is dependent on how much you want to know about the 737 or 777. These simulations can be enjoyed with little knowledge, but the more that you know about them, the more you enjoy flying them.

I would not want to be without my AoA courses for either the 737 or 777. 

They give a complete and correct knowledge of the aircraft sims, in an enjoyable format, that radically enhances the simulation, along with extremely detailed and professionally delivered information.

Emilio

As it has already been covered in other topics - both are great simulations and the main difference is 737 is a great sim of 737 and 777 great sim of 777 :)

I don't own 777 yet (waiting for fs2crew) but started to gather information about it and it is a much different plane, not only size-wise but systems-wise. And it also is a long hauler. Anyway - NGX deserves to be bought. Tutorial 1, plus full checklist from cold and dark to secure and shutdown and You're good to go. Tutorial 2 covers Very interesting approach so You may try it too (plus it shows You whole flight with necessary preparations)

I like short flights more so I decided to go 737 way for now and I have to admit - it is amazing. But fs2crew + emergency NGX is IMO a must have for it. Takes lot of workload and provides huge immersion.

But before You decide to go fs2crew - first learn to operate by Yourself so You know what happens during flight.

Anyway - id say You must decide if You want short or long flights and than make a call. Btw 800/900 models can do long hauls too :) currently I'm flying 737-700 (bought extra package) and having a blast :)

Thanks Mephic,

that's what I wanted to know, they are only 2 different model of "real" aircraft... 

Regards

Emilio