Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Buying PMDG 737 NGX - some questions and concerns

Hi. Few days ago I asked here a question which was thoroughly answered - I asked about default jets overhauls, so I can get more out of the game, not paying much in the meantime. I own REX, FTX Global, GEX and Accufeel, but now it is time for some real flying. After watching some Youtube vids, I decided, that 737 NGX is my only way to go. This plane looks great, has great physics and is a masterpiece for FSX. 

But as a Sim-Pilot not RealWorld-Pilot I am definetly not into reading few hundred pages of manuals. I am a devoted simmer, but not to the point when every time I go to the toilet I take a huge plane manual with me and than I'm not able to walk because of sitting there for 3 hours (plus it is bad for Your health!). 

So I found a step by step guide to flying PMDG NGX 737 which is called "PMDG 737 from cold and dark to shutdown checklist" which I downloaded from the library here. This approx. 200 pages document covers whole flight from the beginning, till the end, including programming FMC. 

So my first question is: did anyone actually read it and will it be enough to get lot of fun out of this plane? My experience in FSX jets is limited to 737-800. I can use every function of it, I learned full checklist (although many things cannot be done because FSX default doesn't emulate them), but I am totally new to FMC. 

I have also more questions regarding this plane before I will put my 70 bucks order:

1. I don't have money for external flight planner. I fly mostly in Europe region. How can I create a flight plan in PMDG format?

2. I don't want to use SIDs & STARs because as far as I know default ATC doesn't recognize them (and I want to stay with default ATC, please don't ask why - just want and this is it). Am I able to use FSX internal flight planner or REX flight planner (the essentials plus version features real world flight plans) and fly the approach according to FSX ATC guidance? What I mean is - will the plane fly FMC flight plan which doesn't have SID/STAR? In default FSX I fly with GPS to last VOR, than I let ATC to be guided to the runway, than I use ILS and when I see the airport and I am approaching decision height, I switch off Auto PIlot and use PAPI lights to land - can I do this in PMDG?

3. Is the PMDG compatible with Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Multipanel from Saitek (will be shipped in few days... :) )

4. If I will go through the complete checklist mentioned above (from cold and dark...) will I be able to make any flight I want in the FSX? 

5. Is FMC very hard to learn? I don't want to use it very deeply. Just need to put my flight plan there, put fuel and passengers in plane and make it fly. I want to do approach from decision height manually. I don't want the plane to land itself. I also want to be able to fly approach manually if ATC will guide me to different runway or use something like heading knobs/height knobs/speed knobs just as in default plane (Saitek Multipanel is featuring those and I want to be able to use them)?

6. Are there any other things which I should concern? 

My rig: i5 3570K OC'd to 4,6 GHz, GTX 660Ti Oc'd to 1280/7000 MHz, 2x4GB COrsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

Thank You in advance, sorry for any mistakes (not my native language), sorry for any non-proffesional flight terms (if I used any) - I started with FSX month ago but it dragged me in. Really. :)

Hi if you do happen to purchase  the ngx  it  comes  with 2  tutorials flights  that will explain most of  your  questions,  in regards to programing the fmc  once you done the tutorial flights it will become  second  nature  to you quite  easy once  you done  a few flights.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks, but I need answers before I will buy it, this is quite a lot money for me, especially that I already spend 300 bucks for mods and hardware.

If ATC doesn't support Sid/star is there a point in using fmc?

I'm wondering if this plane is for me. I like ATC and don't wont to throw it away but I guess PMDG is not the plane which loads Your fsx flight plan to gps and flies it when ATC gives You clearance to rely on Your nav

1. I don't have money for external flight planner. I fly mostly in Europe region. How can I create a flight plan in PMDG format?

Vroute to make your route and the NGX' own FMC to enter and save it.

What I mean is - will the plane fly FMC flight plan which doesn't have SID/STAR? In default FSX I fly with GPS to last VOR, than I let ATC to be guided to the runway, than I use ILS and when I see the airport and I am approaching decision height, I switch off Auto PIlot and use PAPI lights to land - can I do this in PMDG?

Yes

Is the PMDG compatible with Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Multipanel from Saitek (will be shipped in few days... :) )

Yes. Make sure you install the Saitek drivers properly and get hold of FSUIPC. It will help.

If I will go through the complete checklist mentioned above (from cold and dark...) will I be able to make any flight I want in the FSX?

? Don't really understand the question, but I think the answer is yes! :)

Is FMC very hard to learn?

No. It's like a big calculator :smile:

Are there any other things which I should concern?

Watch the tutorial videos by Ryan and Kyle over in the NGX forum and have fun. She's a lovey bird. Only two jets I fly are from PMDG. They rule.

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I'd suggest you do a search under things like "PMDG NGX FMC" and such likes;  there are probably more threads and posts about the PMDG NGX on AVSIM than about any other subject.  :wink:

I posted about a month ago with a full method of creating flight plans and getting them into the PMDG format, and into the FMC so that they are immediately retrievable.    

Here it is :-

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422660-did-you-know-loading-fps-into-the-pmdg-fmcs/?hl=%2Bflight+%2Bplans+%2Bpmdg+%2Bformat#entry2815965

Yes of course there is a reason to use the FMC other than SIDs and STARs;  your whole flight plan itself needs to be programmed into the FMC, otherwise your shiny new NGX won't know where to fly. :smile:

But you can certainly still use the default FSX Planner if you prefer;   just create a flight plan in the normal way, then open the FSX Kneeboard and press the flight plan button;   now just enter the waypoints of your FSX flight plan straight into the NGX's FMC.

To be honest, I am not convinced the PMDG NGX is the right plane for you, based on what you've said.   It really is a study sim.        Something like the QualityWings 146 collection may be better as a first complex jet for you.

But if you do choose the NGX you'll have no trouble with it - it's not inherently difficult - it just does take some studying and commitment.

Cheers.

It really is a study sim.

I totally agree with this, but you can fly it quickly if you are prepared to put in a tiny bit of work watching and reading the first and second tutorials..Its within most intelligent ppls grasp imo. My ten-year old son can start from C&D and fly a route now (proud dad :wink:)

best

jake

EDIT: I just got in trouble; he's 11 now :blush: I don't spend too much time simming, honest!

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

So lets try and put your mind to rest over SIDs STARS and FMC.

First of all you are contemplating buying a fly by wire major aircraft.  So you will have to get into the dialog and understanding that it is not a GA type aircraft.  By not being a GA aircraft it has to be flown using a computer, that is the FMC or to be correct the CDU.  Being a large type of aircraft you do not use it on willy-nilly type flying, so set procedures are used in the real world that this model is simulated to.  So that is why SIDs and STARS are used in the training of using it.

Although it can be flown by hand control without using the CDU, you will be then wasting money on it's purchase and may as well stick with the bog standard FSX version.

So if you are serious about the PMDG 737 then you will have to accept the idea that this is a major learning curve to be able to understand it's use.  I have been learning it and still am for over a year, that is why real world pilots have a vigorous training schedule that us FSXer's will never achieve too, but we can still come close to a real world type aircraft experience.

The PMDG 737NGX is a major step in FSX aircraft simulation and will allow us FSXer's to gain a better enjoyment in FSX.  So really SIDs STARS and the rest are essential to the 737NGX type of FSXing.

I hope this will help you decide one way or the other, but at the end of the day the decision is yours.  If you do; then I recommend Captain Mike Ray Tutorial for an enjoyable leaning phase..

Oh! and I am just loving it..  :smile2:

James

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

I agree with James, but would say again that I don't think the learning curve to get the plane in the air and fly a simple route is that steep. Or Tabs wouldn't have been able to put it all so succinctly into a PDF and video.

Also, in Air Hauler, I often fly the 738 into small(ish) fields which don't have proper SID/STAR or just don't need them.

Also, don't forget, SID/STAR is only a way of getting you onto your route. if you don't fly VATSIM and want to just fly from place to place, it's just as easy once you know how to work your route into FSX so the default ATC can direct you. It's not the way I fly, as I don't even use ATC but it's certainly doable. It's not mandatory, either to use SID/STAR. You will do once you have mastered the basics though, I expect.

That's why I love the NGX so much; once you've picked up how to start and fly a route you just improve over time. Nobody is suggesting we all become or are anywhere near a par with RW pilots, but as you say James, it gives FSX'ers a chance to get in the seat of a truly cool plane, and to a certain extent, you can do it even if you have never done it before. I did. I never flew tubes before I got NGX and within a week I was all over the shop in it :wink:

buy it :)

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

The PMDG 737NGX comes with a detailed tutorial. That's the only way I learned to fly the larger aircraft. It gives you step-by-step instructions for programming the FMC. Yes, the manuals are a bit daunting but then you would have individuals complaining if PMDG failed to include information. IMHO, reading the manuals PMDG provided with their product is not possible. But, if you are having issues in one area, say the FMC, just read that section. Do not try to change any of the default settings such as fuel and passengers. That will bring down your aircraft fast if you do not configure it correctly. Programming the FMC is extremely easy once you get it figured out. I learned by doing what Dave (Q_Flyer) suggested. I searched the Internet for things I wanted to learn more about. As others have suggested, there are a lot of video tutorials on almost every facet of flying PMDG products.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Programming an FMC may seem daunting, but it's actually pretty simple once you've done it a few times.

If you don't want to use SID/STAR, no big deal, but try it anyways. You may enjoy the added realism it provides.

Ok, now I see bigger picture here. To be honest Sid/stars are not a big issue although I like ATC commands and stuff.

I'm a bit afraid that fly by wire plane may not be the best for me because it's less flying more programming which is not quite what I am looking for.

On the other hand this plane looks beautiful and it's physics seem to be great.

Is there something in the middle between default and fully realistic PMDG? Ifly maybe? I will probably end buying it anyways but Im not sure if it's not too soon for me.

I would also like to say thanks to all authors and that You devoted Your time to reply. I'm not afraid of learning - I'm afraid that in real world plane has more than 1 pilot and sometimes it will be more work on the systems than feeling I fly it.

What about iFly or Airbus extended X than? Will they be better? I know I should start with a smaller plane (common sense) but I am really not into it and don't want to force myself to fly different plane than jets.

iFly NG is a nice plane. You're still going to be programming the FMC though, just as you'll be programming the FMGC in the Airbus. These are automated aircraft (especially Airbus) and that's something you'll get used to. There's nothing stopping you flying good old style navigation though if you really want, but you'd be wasting a lot of the aircraft.

I'd personally recommend taking the plunge to a more advanced aircraft, I don't think you'd regret once you get your head into operating them.

As a taster of getting into the more larger aircraft, as some one (Q_flyer) suggested earlier why not just invest in say the Quality Wings BA 146/RJ.  That would make a good entry level for you and ease you more into larger type aircraft.

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

And what about quality wings 757 or Dreamliner?

They look quite neat too - will they be a good stage before PMDG?

You can fly it anyway you want, even as a VFR bush plane. But it really comes down to this: are you really going to use it to its full extents to be worth the price? If you intent to not use many of its features, then maybe it won't be worth it?

I think iFly is a great alternative to PMDG, and in this case might suit you well.