Sign in to follow this  

Mac for FSX

Hello guys,

A year ago I lost my Windows Gaming PC to opt for a Macbook Air, just because i had no more time to play FSX. Nowadays I want to purchase a Desktop PC to play FSX again. This must be a Mac, so don't opt for a Windows PC please. I want to purchase a Mac for school, and with bootcamp, to play FSX. I want to play it on the highest settings with add ons like REX, FTX Global. PMDG aircraft and some great airport sceneries. As FSX is the most CPU sensitive (and less GPU) I know a good  CPU is important. My decision goes between the two configurations below (iMac or Mac Pro). 

Can you help me with my decision? What will you recommend to play FSX on my standards? (that's not a Windows machine...)

Late 2013 27 inch iMac:

Specificaties

3,4-GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

Turbo Boost to 3,8 GHz

8 GB memory (2x 4 GB)

256 GB PCI-E flash storage

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB

2013 Mac Pro:
3,7 GHz Intel Xeon processor
12 GB 1866 MhZ RAM
2 AMD Firepro D300 2 GB each (who are actually AMD W700's)
256 GB PCi-E flash storage

I'm facing a similar issue. I have a 2010 Mac Pro, and want to get the 2013 Mac Pro, but want to know if people think it will run FSX reasonably well or not. Rather not go through the hassle if I'm gonna get the same performance.

I'll tell you when I figure out how to remote disc from my old MacBook Pro to my new 27" iMac. If only I could download it and input my disc code.

When I originally become interested in FSX I used a 27" inch iMac i5, I think it has a 1mb video card, not sure which one.

It ran FSX very we'll and the higher resolution screen was really really great. Although I have a dedicated loaded pc now I do miss the visuals from the iMac.

J

Jason Jackett

Have you considered going the hackintosh route? Or is a real Mac your only preference? An ivy bridge/haswell i5 at 3.4 should play fsx at some pretty good FPS. I have an i7 but turn hyper threading off for FSX (so it is basically an i5), and when I run without overclocking I get decent FPS for the settings I have. Of course , if I want to get a consistent 30 FPS, I must overclock to 4.5 ghz. But if you don't want to go the Hackintosh route, I think that IMac would be a good choice (especially with that 775M GPU, which is even better than my 460 SE). I can't comment on the Mac Pro, as I don't know what the general consensus is on Xeon CPU's and FSX, although I assume it is a positive one.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero