Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Reinstalling fs9 with new os

Hi,

I had to change the motherboard on my pc.The computer repair shop had to reinstall windows 7 (which they upgraded from 32 bit to 64).

Prior to that  I had fs9 installed on D drive, where all the data was stored.

This way i figured the os reinstall wouldn't affect the fs software.

Well, I ran into a snag.

I hit the fs9 exe icon and got a window that says "Bad license for the B767-3oo, FS2004 will now close."

So I thought , ok, let's remove the Level d 767 folder and try to run fs9 again. ( I could reinstall that software from scrayct later).

But no matter how many times I've tried, I cannot delete it.

I managed to delete some folders inside the Level D folder, but not the whole thing.

So my question is- is that warning about the bad license 767 accurate?

And if so , why can't i delete it inside the fs9 library?

Misgav

Try the Level-D forum.  Lots of occurrences of "Bad License....." with the solutions.  A search should reveal all.

Colin B

So my question is- is that warning about the bad license 767 accurate?

With the new install of the OS W7 you lost all of your registry entries that point to the items you mention that are 'faulting'. As far as deleting goes have you adjusted the Windows 7 security settings properly so that such actions will be allowed by UAC and so forth?

Regards,

Mel

I got rid of the bad license by reinstalling the levelD 767 from a fresh Flight1 wrapper.

So now fs9 loads, but crashes as soon as the main screen appears.

In Windows XP at least you got an error report that might help in locating the problem.

No such thing in Windows 7.

I'll do anything in order to avoid reinstalling fs9, due to the hundreds of addons (payware and freeware)

Misgav

I'll do anything in order to avoid reinstalling fs9, due to the hundreds of addons (payware and freeware)

I don't know for sure about W7 compatibility but there is Procmon by SystemInternals. If that utility is W7 compatible then it might point you at what is faulting at start up. I will also mention again about checking the W7 UAC and security settings.

My wife has a computer with W7 64bit. I still us XP Pro 32bit. If I could get a XP pro 64bit OS I would change but until I have more experience fixing things on my wife's W7 I'll stay where I'm at. It works good enough and I know my way around it.

Something I have had to do in the past; I made a complete backup of my entire FS9 ( all files from everywhere ) to a external disk. Next I removed FS9 from C: entirely. I installed FS9 and the FS9.1 update. I then installed the Payware stuff. I then went into FS9 ( new ) and manually deleted the payware files. Next I opened my backup and copied everything to the new FS9 allowing to overwrite everything including the FS9 core files. The whole process only took a few hours to complete. Doing that allows you to preserve all of your work and tweaks, textures, paints for aircraft etc. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mel

I reinstalled fs9 into the same location I had it before the windows upgrade, in D drive.

The reinstall went ok.

I started fs9 and got a window saying "For security reasons, this program will not run while system debuggers are active. Please remove or disable the system debuggers etc etc."

What the heck does that mean?

BTW, if I have to reinstall again, should it be in the default location, i.e. C\Program Files\Microsoft games, or anywhere I choose?

Misgav.

I'd recommend installing to the root directory instead of Program Files. It will help to mitigate any UAC issues you might run into down the road.

Cheers!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I finally gave up and decided it's worth uninstalling fs9 (manually, since the uninstaller wasn't working)

It took a while. But I persevered.

I did a fresh install, added the 9.1 patch and proceeded to installing the addons.

After each addon I test fs9 to see if there any problems.

So far so good!

And fs9 runs fast  like the devil!

Misgav