Sign in to follow this  
wisefox7524

United 737

Anybody know if United Airlines has changed their displays to the PFD/ND format? I know they've been EFIS/MAP for a long while, but after reviewing the video below, I found they have PFD/ND format. Can anybody confirm this?

I found they have PFD/ND format

I think that the 73Ws used the EFIS/MAP setting to share commonality with the 733/735. The 738/739/73J uses the PFD/ND type display.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I think that the 73Ws used the EFIS/MAP setting to share commonality with the 733/735. The 738/739/73J uses the PFD/ND type display.

Hummm.. that's kinda good to know. I rarely ever fly the United jets because I generally can't

stand EFIS/MAP..  So far, all of mine, including the 800 and 900 still have EFIS/MAP set as the

display. Maybe I'll reset the 800 and 900 to PFD/ND so they can get a little use.

I was real glad when Southwest finally ditched the old EFIS/MAP display.. I think it's quite cluttered

compared to PFD/ND.

With the removal of the -500 series over the summer United has been slowly changing from the EFIS/MAP to PFD/ND setup, they issued a bulletin to there pilots in January about the change. All new 737s which arrive are now equipped with the PFD/ND.

I notice the new United PFD/ND is a bit different from Southwest's version.. IE: fuel

indications, lower display mode, etc.. I like to have everything as close to real world as

possible, so I'll mimic what I see in that video when I redo my United planes.

Finally. Is it true that the EFIS/Map configuration does not allow them to do RNP approaches? I heard this is why SWA changed theirs.

My brother and best friend fly 737s for United and they tell me all of their planes have now been switched over to PFD/ND so no more EFIS/map for them.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Is it true that the EFIS/Map configuration does not allow them to do RNP approaches?

...ish?

The type isn't what matters as much as the display of the performance numbers.  Looking at pictures of the EFIS/Map display, I don't see the scales displayed.  These are required for RNP AR procedures (not RNP in general).  If the EFIS/Map doesn't display those scales (even if the data is available), and the over/under with full ND does, then that's likely the reason for the change.

Even the 737-300/400/500 can have RNP AR certification if you paid for the right hardware/software/displays.  In the case of SWA, I feel like it was more of a case of the different setup already provides the necessary features for RNP AR, and they're getting rid of the 300/400/500s (removing the need for commonality).  As such, switching to existing (arguably better) software was the better answer, instead of trying to modify existing software (to drive the display of the performance scales).

Boeing explains the requirements here:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/2011_q4/5/

Kyle Rodgers

...ish?

The type isn't what matters as much as the display of the performance numbers.  Looking at pictures of the EFIS/Map display, I don't see the scales displayed.  These are required for RNP AR procedures (not RNP in general).  If the EFIS/Map doesn't display those scales (even if the data is available), and the over/under with full ND does, then that's likely the reason for the change.

Even the 737-300/400/500 can have RNP AR certification if you paid for the right hardware/software/displays.  In the case of SWA, I feel like it was more of a case of the different setup already provides the necessary features for RNP AR, and they're getting rid of the 300/400/500s (removing the need for commonality).  As such, switching to existing (arguably better) software was the better answer, instead of trying to modify existing software (to drive the display of the performance scales).

Boeing explains the requirements here:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/2011_q4/5/

AA's older 737s don't display the ANP values on the nav display.  The pilot monitoring monitors the ANP values on PROG page 4/4 on the CDU during RNP approaches.

AA's older 737s don't display the ANP values on the nav display.  The pilot monitoring monitors the ANP values on PROG page 4/4 on the CDU during RNP approaches.

I have a feeling that got through on an Ops Spec exemption, as that seems pretty unique.  Most references I've seen (in FAA-land anyway) require the nav perf scales in forward field of view (that Boeing link, above, mentions it like that as well a few times).

Then again, I just noticed you referred only used the term RNP, and I was referring only to RNP AR requirements.  It's quite the sticking point here in the sim group.  RNP is very broad, and for whatever reason, many in the sim realm seems to assume RNP AR is the broad RNP standard.

NPS is only required for RNP AR.

Kyle Rodgers

I was referring to the special authorization approaches.  The newer airplanes have NPS, the older ones don't.  We can shoot any AR approaches in either case.  It is much nicer in the NPS airplanes though.  The lowest RNP we are authorized for is 0.11, perhaps that has something to do with it.