Sign in to follow this  
red259

Recommended orbx scenery/airports

I'm looking for recommendations on ideal orbx scenery to pick up. I currently have kjac, kbzn and central rockies. I will likely pick up pnw while its on sale as well. I tend to fly jets, so I would be looking for suggestions on orbx scenery & airports that would pair well with the above that I could fly a 777 or 737 to.  

I'd get England. Good stuff for a T7 and an NGX.

Aamir Thacker

I'd get England. Good stuff for a T7 and an NGX.

That's interesting. I had read that a lot of people were very disappointed with England in comparison to other orbx products did they patch it?

Why buy Orbx, it's for sightseeing in a Cessna or Piper, nothing better,  however the sale ends on 2nd January, so buy as much NW USA as you can afford.  Around Seattle would probably suit you best,don't forget to fly the small stuff, try Alaska , Wonderful !!!  England is better with Photo scenery, free add-ons and UK2000 airports.  Have a good new year.

Echofox

Most of the big airports that Orbx developed are in Australia, Melbourne - Cairns - Brisbane - etc... The frame rates are brutal though.

You could also buy Alaska and the two airports there, but there aren't that many big airports in Alaska overall obviously.

There are a few big enough airports to land jets in PFJ (Pacific Fjords), at least shouldn't be an issue for a 737.

If you get the PNW since you already own CRM, you can do some flights from Bend to the west coast areas, there is a bit of photo-scenery spotted around the mountains by Orbx in those areas, also in PNW places like Mt. Rainier and Mt St Helens (and probably Mt Adams too) are in phot-scenery which makes a nice fly-over.

So yah, I'd probably do PNW and maybe Australia, you could also try Scotland since it's so cheap. Australia is so so for me thus far as I think the textures outside the city aren't good, but I've only flown a very limited area in it. Scotland is a mixed bag, some places look good, some don't.

Overall, PNW + PFJ is my recommendation, just look at the pictures on FullTerrain.com of each airport and you can tell which ones are big enough to support jets generally without even having to look at all the runway stats.

Since you have CRM the next logical one to get is NRM. You would get some nice larger airports (Edmonton and Calgary for instance) to fly to with a 737; and since CRM is adjacent to NRM you would be flying over Orbx land entirely.

He should buy them all before the sale ends, one thing about ORBX is the repetitive textures so the more stuff you have the better variety. They do a nice job on many airports, though I also think they over-price some of the airports for what you get (West Yellowstone for $20, ok I don't think so, you gave us 2 buildings and a couple plane models, and what appears to be ZERO enhanced surrounding PR scenery...

Jackson Hole however was a masterpiece, as was stewart.

BTW, I take back what I said about Australia as far as some of the textures, some of them are very good, depends what part you fly. Australia might now be my new favorite area to fly from Orbx, there is a lot of diversity in the texturing and IMHO (other than how AU naturally looks bland in some areas) Orbx best texturing work is probably AU, it has the least amount of repetition I've seen.

AU - SP4 seems worth it :)

Ok got Stewart and Jackson Hole as well.... This sale is killing me! Good thing its over soon...

PNW is free but without seasons i think. They announced also that Australia will be getting an
" ORBX full lighting treatment" 

I love Australia for flying regional stuff with the JS41 and q400 and now the metro liner

ZORAN

Ok got Stewart and Jackson Hole as well.... This sale is killing me! Good thing its over soon...

No, you did good, I paid 3x for what you paid on those sale prices :_)

Jackson Hole and Stewart = Masterpieces, they are the best of the best that I've seen from Orbx, though I don't quite own all their airports yet, I do own about 25% of them. maybe more, including some in AU and most in NA. Of course those are the (2) best airports at scenery, but for like Airport buildings, probably maybe Melbourne, but the framerates are so killer there even with SSD on an i5 (maybe on an i7 it would be bareable), that I cannot really fly there much.

No, you did good, I paid 3x for what you paid on those sale prices :_)

Jackson Hole and Stewart = Masterpieces, they are the best of the best that I've seen from Orbx, though I don't quite own all their airports yet, I do own about 25% of them. maybe more, including some in AU and most in NA. Of course those are the (2) best airports at scenery, but for like Airport buildings, probably maybe Melbourne, but the framerates are so killer there even with SSD on an i5 (maybe on an i7 it would be bareable), that I cannot really fly there much.

You're right, I've just had a first look at the two, they are magnificent!

I also like Bowerman a lot (free to download), as well as PAKT because of the cool taxiway arrangement. I bought more, which I still have to look at in more detail...