Sign in to follow this  
jewell45

Rv-7 or Lancair Legacy

You'll get no help from me - they're both excellent. Though IMHO the Legacy has an edge over RV7. It's got little things to do with sound and cockpit environment that push it ahead of BT's offering.

And I'm biased as a speed freak. The Legacy smokes the RV7. However the RV can get in and our of ultra short strips with a low stall speed.

I also prefer the overall look of the Legacy, smooth and sleek.

While they both offer RXP 530W support the Legacy will do both or either or (or unlimited).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you mean the BayTower RV7: I'd go for the RealAir Legacy any day. The RV7 was great when it was just released but 1. the Legacy is better in every regard (also things like finishing) and 2. it seems the dev of the RV7 has abandoned ship so it might be hard or impossible getting official support... I own both planes btw but haven't flown the RV7 since I bought the Legacy. Go for the Legacy!

Go for the RV, go for the RV! As Ryan said, they do things differently. Both planes are 'finished' so 'support' isn't an issue. When it comes right down to it, which one do you fancy the most. I mean no disrespect, but threads like these are pretty pointless. Go with what YOU want/like.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

The Legacy is a newer release so it has some more of the little goodies, that being said the RV is a fine airplane.  LIke Ryan said, they have different mission profiles.  If you want to go fast and far, get the Legacy, if you want to get into practically every airstrip you see, get the RV.  The RV isn't slow either...for a plane that can get in and out of 800ft airstrips, 160kts cruise is VERY good. :lol:  800ft is getting into Cub/Husky/Scout territory lol.  For me the RV is a 'jack of all trades' plane, does a little bit of everything.  Reasonable X country speed, IFR, aerobatic, STOL...etc.  The Legacy is definately not STOL lol.

The RV is on the flight1 wrapper, so you could always try it out and return if you don't like it.

As PDXflyer said, get both, they are both excellent machines.

If you really want speed, go with the A2A Civil P-51.  Nothing says speed quite like the power and sound of a big V-12 up front :)

The Legacy is a steal at 25 buckaroos. I think the RV is 40 or 50.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If the RV-7 and the Lancair Legacy went on a long and boring bus ride together the Legacy would pass the time trying to find a solution to global warming while the RV would make obscene noises and moon passing motorists. Which plane is best for you depends on your personality.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

If the RV-7 and the Lancair Legacy went on a long and boring bus ride together the Legacy would pass the time trying to find a solution to global warming while the RV would make obscene noises and moon passing motorists. Which plane is best for you depends on your personality.

What's up? Did you fall off your skis, break a leg, now you're grumpy? Oh no, I remember now, that's your default setting!  :lol:

I think it was the $25 that swung it. :Money Eyes:  That and the silver tongue of J van E.  :Tounge:

Lol Lowflyer, yeah, two different styles of flying.  Altho the RV is quite an efficient design itself.  160kts from a 180hp Lyc O-360 with its ~8gal/hr fuel burn is pretty dang good.

It's funny, I find the Legacy almost 'too' easy to fly, it doesn't 'challenge' me.  This has nothing to do with the excellent quality of simulation done by Rob and Sean.  I would recommend the Legacy to everyone.  These excellent flying qualites an attribute of the real airplane.  The Legacy is a very stable platform.  I can hand fly approaches all day in it.  It goes where I point it.   It has all the IFR avionics to make an excellent IFR trainer. 

lol, maybe because it is so well equipped and such a nice stable flyer, I don't fly the Legacy as much.  The RV on the otherhand has fighter like agility, which is an asset when knifing around Idaho back country, looking to plop down on some little strip.  That fighter like agilty tho can be a challenge when trying to shoot an ILS, requiring a very steady hand.  Of course I could use the autopilot, but where is the fun in that? B)  I read somewhere that the real RV builders are encouraged to install autopilots if they plan on doing a lot of instrument flying.

Cheers

TJ

What's up? Did you fall off your skis, break a leg, now you're grumpy? Oh no, I remember now, that's your default setting!  :lol:

Hehe, no broken bones yet but my niece talked me into renting a snowboard so there's still hope of an extended vacation. ;)

Lol Lowflyer, yeah, two different styles of flying.  Altho the RV is quite an efficient design itself.  160kts from a 180hp Lyc O-360 with its ~8gal/hr fuel burn is pretty dang good.

Indeed, the RV is a competent little plane but more than anything it's about having fun. The Legacy is all in all probably the better kit but I feel that it lacks a sense of humour. I'd still have the RV any day. :)

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

....The Legacy is all in all probably the better kit but I feel that it lacks a sense of humour...

Very well put. :good:

I read somewhere that the real RV builders are encouraged to install autopilots if they plan on doing a lot of instrument flying.

For instrument flying, it's almost essential to install auto-pilots in a RV. They're not really stable instrument platforms. Besides that, high quality.....solid state auto-pilots are rather cheap for the "experimental" class RV's. It's most common to see two axis auto-pilots on a lot of RVs. In fact, you'll find a lot of RVs with two axis A/Ps, even when not flown on instruments.

I built and owned a RV6A. It was not instrument equipped. It's actually going to be now, because a retired Boeing 777 pilot bought it. When flying for several hours on 400 mile plus trips, I much preferred the A/P, especially altitude hold. The heading A/P would also follow the routes I programmed into the GPS.

As far as stability I mentioned above. The RV is plenty stable... pitch, roll, and yaw wise. It doesn't take much effort to fly it. But just nudge the stick a bit, and it will go that direction if you're not keeping an eye on it. That's why auto-pilots are a nice item to have in IMC conditions.

I do have both the Baytower RV7 and RealAir Legacy. That's the way I'd want it.