Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

You guys are "lucky" that you  even can push settings high enough to induce OOM's. :P. I have no OOM problem because I can't get the damn sim to run smooth even at low settings. P3Dv2 has been nothing but a headache since I got it, I can't get it too run as smooth as I could get FSX too run, even when I remove all the eyecandy such as shadows, HDR and vol. fog.

Alltough I can get it too run smooth when using no 3 party scenery, but when I add Orbx into the mix P3Dv2 turns into a slideshow even with default planes and default weather :(. And blurries I also struggle with, seems like there is no end off problems i stumble into.

And this damn sim has ruined my FSX expirience, because now I want those cool cockpit shadows and the better lightning and vol. fog so I can't go back.... Last couple of days I even considered X-plane and also considered giving up simming for good....

Im kinda jealous of you guys discussing OOM's when I can't even get there :lol:

but when I add Orbx into the mix P3Dv2 turns into a slideshow even with default planes and default weathe

What scenery from ORBX do you have installed?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What scenery from ORBX do you have installed?

The supported ones, NIR, AU and FTX Global. NIR is the one I really struggle with, I just can't get good performance in Northern Ireland with NIR activated or only with FTX GLobal no matter how much I turn down settings.

When I tried reinstalling(P3Dv2 and Windows, yes I went that far:p) I did a test from Belfast without any Orbx scenery installed and then I get quite good performance, but when I added FTX GLobal or NIR again it got pretty nasty... Blurries is something I struggle with all over Orbx land.. :( And I can't seem to get rid of annoying microstutters(hope that the patch will take care of them though)

And all this just using default planes, what will happen when I add AI, payware planes and live weather into the mix:( The future looks dark for me and my setup...

I get quite good performance, but when I added FTX GLobal or NIR again it got pretty nasty

Interesting.  I have FTX Global installed but that is my only scenery add-on as the FDST Hawaiian Airports have/had a major bug for P3DV2.  I did try FB's KPHX but performance is not good their for me either.  But everywhere else I'm fine.  I have FSGenesis mesh in as well.   I'm lucky I guess as I'm able to run the RA T Duke and QW757 very well anywhere, as I say except KPHX which frames dropped to 23 or 24 I think if I recall correctly.  It seems you might benefit from a GPU upgrade.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It seems you might benefit from a GPU upgrade.

But shouldn't I get good performance in Belfast FTX Global with minimum settings and default plane, when Im able to get good performance in Seattle FTX GLobal with almost maxed settings and payware plane + opus live weather.

I just don't understand what's going on.. In FSX Seattle is my worst case scenario, in P3Dv2 Belfast is the black hole:p. Weird thing is also before I reinstalled blurries wasn't a problem, after the reinstall blurries is a major issue that I get even at places with good FPS. Also looking at the GPU load I still have some room(normal load for me is 60-70%)... Ocasional microstutter I expirience everywhere but it's not too bad, so I can live with that..

But NIR bugs the hell outta me, I had a thread up at the Orbx forum about NIR and a guy with similar hardware as me didn't have any problems...No other than me actually had any problems and they blamed me that I tried to high settings an was expecting too much, but I'm running with all sliders too the left, turning off shadows and all eyecandy and it still performs like ###### in NIR or FTX Global Belfast... So how can it be that my GPU is too small, shouldn't I be able to turn down settings to give the GPU some room?

Maybe you're right though that my system ain't fit for P3Dv2 but I just upgraded my GPU right before the 780 was released not so long time ago, and I can't afford an upgrade now:(. I regret though that I didn't get a 680 with more than 2GB ram...

I have pretty much tried everything to get Belfast up and running, reinstalled windows and p3Dv2, reset CPU clock to default to eliminate bad overclock problem, turned down settings, nothing helps.... So the last option maybe what you suggest upgrading my computer, I just can't afford that, and quitting simming for good maybe be my only solution :(

A orbx dev mentioned that they working on a new set of libraries that is gonna give autogen poerformance a boost, Im waiting on that and the P3Dv2 patch before I throw in the towel...

Edit: But lets stop this discussion off my problems I come to realise that Im hijacking this thread, and no one can help me anyway:). Good luck with your OOm problem guys, you lucky basta.rds :lol:

I did try FB's KPHX but performance is not good their for me either.

Yeah, KPHX (especially at night) was a big performance hit compared to other FB's airports I have ... think I was around 15 fps with my settings.  It's looks fantastic at night, makes ya wanna just taxi around it all night.  In comparison KSFO is 22 fps solid (I'm locked at 22 fps).  Oddly KPHX didn't cause an OOM ... so I guess this will be a good case for v2.1 Multi-GPU utilization (Titan #2 on the way).

I've never ever seen any thread ever get hijacked and they ALL stay exactly ON TOPIC ... always  :Peace:

So how can it be that my GPU is too small, shouldn't I be able to turn down settings to give the GPU some room?

I know what you're saying but I think how P3DV2 runs in particular scenarios is not always possible to predict.  While we have some insights about what role CPU & GPU play I don't think we understand it enough to be able to explain why some scenarios run well and others less so.  All this conjecture aside more GPU and VRAM seems to help for sure.  One thing that totally struck me was how I can do a top-down view in a high demand area and by the time I've zoomed out a way, not that far really, frames just drop and drop and drop even when static.  This behavior is completely different than how FSX does this, which points to just how different the rendering engine is between the two sims is.  What we do know though is that scenery add ons were never optimized for this rendering engine, but instead the rendering engine was optimized as good as good be for existing objects/add ons.

Noel

In comparison KSFO is 22 fps solid (I'm locked at 22 fps).  Oddly KPHX didn't cause an OOM ... so I guess this will be a good case for v2.1 Multi-GPU utilization (Titan #2 on the way).

Be interesting to see how much SLI'd Titan does in this.  It's a pity the other 6Gb of GDDR5 won't get us anything.  Are you really going this route Rob?  If so I can't wait to hear how this does for you.  

Tell me what you think:  my nice Corsair 850W PSU will be on the edge, maybe, for running a 2nd Titan...but only based on running the eXtreme PSU calculator which says Minimum at 90% of peak output w/ 10% capacitor aging is right around 790W, recommended 853W.  BUT and this is the giant empirical BUT...my APC UPS displays realtime wattage and when I"m running P3DV2 absolutely maxed out (near 100% GPU utilization) w/ one Titan for everything plugged into my UPS which includes my powered audio mixer, my LCD display, and my PC I'm only showing 379W absolute peak, and more typically 360W or so. This suggests there really is no way I need a bigger PSU if the sensor in the UPS is accurate at all.  I think it is as I can turn off various parts like my display the reduction in wattage displayed is what it should be.

It seems another Titan will only add another 200W or less, in which case I'm still way good.  So this being the case, what do you think?  Am I missing something?  

Noel

This behavior is completely different than how FSX does this, which points to just how different the rendering engine is between the two sims is.

More AutoGen is being loaded in P3DV2 (more polygons/textures = lower fps and more VAS) ... I think it's a two part problem and both sides (LM and 3rd party) need to address it.  It's not the immediate AutoGen load that is causing the OOM, it's the fact that nothing enroute appears to get unloaded, so that airport one passed 700 nm back is still using up VAS even though it has long since gone out of scope of the visible view port.

On the other side of the coin, there are some (a few, not all) 3rd party developers that appear to be trying to milk out FS8 work done circa 2001-2002 and expect it to work well in P3D DX11.  I think some 3rd party developers feel they can't charge existing customers for an update that works well in P3DV2 ... so it's likely they'll just come out with a "Version 2.0" (or 3.0 or whatever with a few new features) that will work with P3DV2 correctly and charge for that.  I'm not sure why, REX 4 is sorta along this line, but REX OD also had a P3D optional update for $5 ... Tim/Reed covered both bases and as far as I know it's worked well for them/REX.

But I it looks like one can go back to the old way of AutoGen (popping) in P3DV2 which others had success with on the fps/VAS front.  Personally I didn't like the FSX (old way) method of AutoGen ... so much so it was the very reason I flew almost exclusively with Photo real scenery without AutoGen.  I'm glad LM have put the work into this new method because I think it will ultimately pay-off (especially with a 64bit product).

Ok, back to flight planning ...  :good:

Be interesting to see how much SLI'd Titan does in this.  It's a pity the other 6Gb of GDDR5 won't get us anything.  Are you really going this route Rob?

I'll report back, but the 2nd Titan was in my budget long time ago ... just waiting for an excuse to make it so.

As far as PSU ... the MOST important aspect is how accurate/stable the line voltages remain under sudden load changes.  I've seen high end PSU rated at 1200Watts-1500Watts with all the 80 silver, gold, gold Plus, silver Plus certified labels ... BUT when tested there load stability under rapid changes is horrible.  I'm currently using a Silverstone Strider Gold 1200 Watt and it has been flawless: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256069

Whatever PSU you decide on, be sure to check into reviews that really put the PSU thru it's paces ... rapid line load switching/changes with a scope monitoring the results ... if you see any that spike under rapid changes then avoid them ... even more critical if you plan to OC.

Whatever PSU you decide on, be sure to check into reviews that really put the PSU thru it's paces

If your SLI'd Titan report comes back very favorably I will likely just use the PSU I already have, at 850W rated (it's the very favorably reviewed Corsair HX Series HX850) and see how it goes.  Has the hefty 12v rail, plus as I say realtime wattage displayed is only 379W max and that includes maybe 50W worth of non-PC peripherals, and that is with my CPU at 4.423Ghz & Titan at 99% utilization.  How do you reconcile this--only 379W of demand, or maybe more like 330W?  I think as a general rule people in the sim forums have way more PSU than warranted, w/ the caveat that you do need a quality one and that they are not all the same.  But...I could be wrong of course.

Noel

plus as I say realtime wattage displayed is only 379W max and that includes maybe 50W worth of non-PC peripherals

I sorta agree, it's not all about rated Watts (one part of the equation).  But, I want to stress that you really want to know/see oscilloscope output over time on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V lines under rapid load changes (fire up Ghosts or BF4 or something else that really stresses the CPU/GPU) -- these are the type of PSU reviews to look for, not the ones that just show load % as those are almost meaningless when loads are below rated.  It makes no difference if a PSU is running 90% load vs. 50% load so long as it can maintain stable (spike free) 3.3V, 5V and 12V output at those loads.

I've used SLI configurations many times before with OC (water coolers, etc. etc) and never exceeded 750 Watt actual load ... it's all about how well the PSU manages the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v lines between min and max loads.

How this for off topic?  :lol:

it's all about how well the PSU manages the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v lines between min and max loads.

I don't understand how to evaluate this but here is HardOCP's review of my PSU, w/ regard to Transient Load Testing if that is what you are talking about.  This PSU for what it's worth has a 70amp 12v rail.  Also Rob, while my UPS is showing as I say around 350W at peak, I'm guessing this must be watts AC, rather than DC.  Is there a conversion you're aware of so that I can determine actual DC watts used from the AC watts displayed in the UPS?

Transient Testing Summary

The Transient Load Testing results for the Corsair HX850W were very good across the board. The peak change seen on the loaded 12v rail was ~200mV while the 5v rail hit ~100mV when loaded in both tests. These results are very good and easily outpace the TX850W and Antec's SG850 but are most comparable to the peak values seen on the Seasonic M12D-850. In the end this all means that the Corsair HX850W was one of the better behaved units we have seen in this output range for transient response. That makes this test another impressive pass for the unit.

Noel

I'll report back, but the 2nd Titan was in my budget long time ago ... just waiting for an excuse to make it so.

Rob take a look at this screen print and tell me if you think somehow SLI will improve this picture.  This is FTXG coming into Tokyo, default airport:

The low GPU utilization in this specific scenario makes it hard to see how SLI'd Titan will affect this, but maybe I'm missing something.  BTW, typical in most of the scenarios I'm in it's more common to see 60-80% GPU utilization.   When I see this approach into RJTT I have to guess there is something in the default airport that is plain hard to process and that is not exploiting the GPU well.   Tokyo area is so dense in scenery and on my decent and early approach IQ was fabulously clear, frame rate around 28-34 and this was just a few thousand feet up w/ a big wide angle view w/ lots of autogen (set at Very High).   The closer I got the this airport the lower frames got, and I have seen this in US airport buildings of course as well.  Those are just default objects and the rendering engine enhancements just don't seem to tackle those very well.  

Noel

I know what you're saying but I think how P3DV2 runs in particular scenarios is not always possible to predict. While we have some insights about what role CPU & GPU play I don't think we understand it enough to be able to explain why some scenarios run well and others less so. All this conjecture aside more GPU and VRAM seems to help for sure. One thing that totally struck me was how I can do a top-down view in a high demand area and by the time I've zoomed out a way, not that far really, frames just drop and drop and drop even when static. This behavior is completely different than how FSX does this, which points to just how different the rendering engine is between the two sims is. What we do know though is that scenery add ons were never optimized for this rendering engine, but instead the rendering engine was optimized as good as good be for existing objects/add ons.

Ah, ok thanks for explaining, I guess I just stay far away from Belfast(So far the only area in FTX Global that I have serious problems with) and enjoy the rest of the world instead, much cheaper than investing in a Titan :P

I fixed my blurry problem though after I reinstalled I had put Affmask tweak in the wrong cfg file, hence the blurries. Atleast I got that problem solved B)