Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

But as they say "there's many a slip between cup and  lip" and 2 years can be a  long tome.

Don't cling onto 2 years ... that's never been officially confirmed by LM ... pure speculation (or is it desperation of hope) on my part.

I'm down to Vegetation = Normal, Building = Dense ... but sadly mid flight (KSFO to KPHX) over KLAS triggered an OOM (even at FL331) -- but hey I did get 1 hour in before it OOM'd and using the autosave flight I was able to resume and land at KPHX.

I'll just have to plan my routes more carefully with shorter flights and avoided any major cities -- not a problem, I can do that for a couple weeks or so until patch is out.  

Rob

Don't cling onto 2 years ... that's never been officially confirmed by LM ... pure speculation (or is it desperation of hope) on my part.

That's the point. It may never happen.

I'll just have to plan my routes more carefully with shorter flights and avoided any major cities -- not a problem, I can do that for a couple weeks or so until patch is out.  

Are those memory leaks that significant? And there's still no fix for getting OOMs even when you're below the VAS limit.

That's the point. It may never happen.

No, Wes (LM) indicated it will happen with a "Yes".  That was Jeroen's "simple" question over on LM's site - a thread from which I think I've been asked not to post in - so I didn't - I lurked  :P

Are those memory leaks that significant?

I'll let you know AFTER we get a patch ... being patient and trying to enjoy what I can.

I'll let you know AFTER we get a patch ... being patient and trying to enjoy what I can.

I just asked because you seemed quite sure that your OOM problems would be fixed. It's best to wait until it is out.

No, Wes (LM) indicated it will happen with a "Yes".

Which thread was that statement in?

I just asked because you seemed quite sure that your OOM problems would be fixed.

I've been pretty consistent with my view "cautiously optimistic" -- the hope it will be enough of a fix to hold me (and my expectations) over until the real solution of 64bit P3D is realized.  What else can I do?  I don't have the money to fund a flight simulation project to meet my specific desires ... so, I make the best of it.

Which thread was that statement in?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5094

I'm down to Vegetation = Normal, Building = Dense ... but sadly mid flight (KSFO to KPHX) over KLAS triggered an OOM (even at FL331) -- but hey I did get 1 hour in before it OOM'd and using the autosave flight I was able to resume and land at KPHX.

Rob, we have the same hardware basically what the heck is happening that you're getting these and I'm not?  I've done that flight many time no problems.  I do not have FSDT KPHX installed however.  Did but it was a resource hog, albeit beautiful.  I understand it's quite hard on P3DV2 compared to other offerings from FSDT.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yep it's strange. Did another 5 hrs flight today, no OOM. Lots of freeware addons installed, WOAI and FTX Global. Got shadows for terrain, buildings and a/c enabled, volumetric fog, tessellation, filtering and AA at max, autogen at max. The only things I don't use are water effects and reflections, and I have disabled the autogen fade-in feature.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Jeroen's Question to LM:

are you planning to create a 64 bit version of P3D (v2?) yes, maybe or no?

LM's response (Wes Bard)

Yes.

Seems pretty committed to me Gerry.  If you are looking for a "when" as additional commitment, seems unlikely we'll get that and I understand why.

Seems pretty committed to me Gerry. If you are looking for a "when" as additional commitment, seems unlikely we'll get that and I understand why.

I don't think we have the "if" yet.

Consider the scenario where v2.x has gone a far as it can but sales are disappointing - remember there's no guarantee of sales. The decision then has to be made whether of not to develop a 64-bit version. Until that decision's made there's no committment. Lockheed Martin will, if necessary, be just as ruthless as Microsoft in killing Flight and FSNext.

Rob, we have the same hardware basically what the heck is happening that you're getting these and I'm not?  I've done that flight many time no problems.  I do not have FSDT KPHX installed however.  Did but it was a resource hog, albeit beautiful.  I understand it's quite hard on P3DV2 compared to other offerings from FSDT.

Noel, you keep repeating this ... and I keep trying help you understand that our hardware similarity has no significant bearing on OOMs.  Your P3DV2 display settings are very different from mine, I doubt you are using the exact same route as I did, the exact same aircraft (QW RJ100) with the exact same weather conditions and the exact same REX 4 textures, exact same FMC usage, and the exact same departure sequence, nor the exact same views used during flight, etc. etc. ... and THESE are the difference that contribute to OOMs, not our hardware.

Consider this:

In the default A36 at a default airport (Minnesota St.Paul) I will start out at 2.3GB VAS (looking straight ahead no view rotation).  If I do two 360 degree rotations (slowly allow scenery to load) in the VC, I will be up to 3.1GB VAS ... that's a 800MB increase in VAS just by doing two 360 degree rotations in VC ... this is nothing else, not even flying nor even engine start yet.

So, if I load up spotty (no Aircraft) and do the same 360 rotations at the same spot, guess what, my VAS increase is almost exactly same about 800MB ... so clearly it's not an Aircraft issue, it's a scenery issue.

My work around is to save flights frequently (FSUIPC autosave) or continue down the ever increasing road of moving the sliders to the left and uncheck features (like I said, down to Vegetation = Normal and Building = Dense).  In the flight I did last night, I hadn't approached FSDT KPHX (way too far away for it to load up yet) ... I was flying over KLAS (default, no 3rd party) when the OOM was triggered (was probably trying to load default KLAS airport and city area).

I do agree that some 3rd party is less P3DV2 friendly and some have made claims to be fully V2 compatible when they are indeed not ... I discovered that when I heard several 3rd party developers are using FS8 (circa 2001) legacy stuff (oye!), even Steve's DX10 fixer in FSX can't deal with some of that legacy stuff and P3DV2 DX11 is no exception.  So armed with that, I've removed and/or disabled some 3rd party products I know will cause issues.

I'm not saying I'm bare bones yet, I'm not ... but if I have to disable even more it really is gonna prompt the question of "where are 3rd party products going to live" in my small VAS world. 

So, I'm staying cautiously optimistic that the VAS issue is a real one and that LM's patch will improve the situation ... fingers crossed.

I don't think we have the "if" yet.

Consider the scenario where v2.x has gone a far as it can but sales are disappointing - remember there's no guarantee of sales. The decision then has to be made whether of not to develop a 64-bit version. Until that decision's made there's no committment. Lockheed Martin will, if necessary, be just as ruthless as Microsoft in killing Flight and FSNext.

I don't think they are as sales driven as Microsoft and they understand the bigger picture and long term goals.  P3DV1.x series was not exactly an huge seller and yet we have P3DV2 which has probably gained more interest/sales than all their prior P3DV1.x efforts combined.

If LM's other major contracts dry up and there is no funding available, that will end development ... I don't think it's hinged on sales at all ... if it were, they would have stopped at P3DV1.4 (or sooner).

What we need is another war or the US to increase it's "global police" presence so LM stay healthy with big juicy defense contracts ;)

I don't think they are as sales driven as Microsoft and they understand the bigger picture and long term goals.

Comforting words, but the bottom-line is that Lockheed Martin also understand profits. Also, none of use have any  idea of the levels of P3D sales, nor of their distribution internally and externally.

Until funds are actually committed to  the 64-bit version then there is still no commitment. EDIT: I know little about  Lockheed Martin's internal structure but I would be surprised if staff members posing in its forums had the authority to commit this funding.

Noel, you keep repeating this ... and I keep trying help you understand that our hardware similarity has no significant bearing on OOMs.  Your P3DV2 display settings are very different from mine, I doubt you are using the exact same route as I did, the exact same aircraft (QW RJ100) with the exact same weather conditions and the exact same REX 4 textures, exact same FMC usage, and the exact same departure sequence, nor the exact same views used during flight, etc. etc. ... and THESE are the difference that contribute to OOMs, not our hardware.

Rob, I hear what you are saying re hardware and OOMs that was my bad, but I do use 2048 cloud textures, out fully dense to 100m, I have GTR at 2048 or 4096 doesn't matter, I have veg at normal and autogen at either dense or high density, have all of my scenery sliders maxed, all shadow receive boxes ticked, tessellation maxed and do have the birds I have, and I also have FTXG installed, but not Vector.  I'm wondering if it's your monitor resolution, which ultimately is where our, ironically, hardware differs ;o)  I'm guessing your CPU/DRAM is involved in the rendering process to your higher resolution display.  Try it and see as a test:  dial back to 1920 x 1200 and see if your VAS usage is impacted or not.  It's either that or you have a piece of scenery or airware (I like that!)  that has a memory leak or what have you.

If I do two 360 degree rotations (slowly allow scenery to load) in the VC, I will be up to 3.1GB VAS

There's a practice I avoid like the plague!  Perhaps you should try to stop creating OOMs you might actually make it to your arrival airport!  JK Rob--keep at it it helps to find the weak spots ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X