Sign in to follow this  
MM

RTWR 2014 Early News and Discussion

First, we are pleased to announce that the 2014 Round the World Race will commence, as is traditional, on the first weekend after Valentine's Day. This year we shall start on Saturday, February 15, and probably earlier in the day than usual.

Second, we want to announce that Ed Keller will take the Austin Davis seat on the RTWR Executive Committee. Importantly, we want to express to Austin our deeply-felt appreciation for what he has done for the race both during the last year on the Committee and also during many previous years as well. Ed will bring to the table both new perspectives and a great enthusiasm for the RTWR itself.

Third, we are considering an expanded use of faster more modern aircraft, among those proven in past races, in order to increase the overall average speed and reduce flying hours.

Fourth, we are working on reducing the time commitment demanded by the Race. A number of pilots have stated that they are no longer able to dedicate the same effort to the event as they have in the past. While understanding those concerns, we are also keen to maintain the challenge of Round-the-World real-time real-weather high-adrenaline racing. For many, the RTWR is the prime team event in our flight simulation community.

While there may be many ways to go forward, two main options have been discussed. One would be a route redefinition that, while maintaining the spirit of global racing, would involve shorter overall distances. A second would involve splitting the event into two weekends which would allow racers to begin the race one weekend, pause during the normal work-week, and finish on the following weekend. (Racing would remain a round-the-clock event during the weekend windows.)

We would like to invite your comments, concerns, and suggestions about how to modulate the time commitment so as to make the race more manageable for those who also participate in a real life. In particular, we want to know how people feel about moving toward a two-weekend schedule this year or in the future.

Please post your ideas in this thread. Better yet, in order to keep the discussion together for all the sites, please post your ideas at the Sim-Outhouse Round the World Race Forum here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?6-Around-The-World-Race-Multiplayer-Events

Mike, Rob, and Ed

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

One would be a route redefinition that, while maintaining the spirit of global racing, would involve shorter overall distances.

I have a (re)name ready...

the HWRTWR (Halfway Round the World Race)...

I also suggest this as a Theme Song:

I personally dislike both ideas, I understand there is a time concern but the last several years we have finished on Tuesday so it wouldn't be like in the first few years where we finished on Thursday.

I would still like to see an entire world circumnavigation as opposed to half the world, but maybe that's just me. I dont know about the rest of you but I personally really look forward to this event every year.

spacer.png

I'm with Eamonn on this one. I personally look forward to the 2 days booked off and the 3/4 days constantly online with my team mates. For me its what makes it so special. I do understand that other people aren't as fortunate as me and can't justify that 3 or 4 days out of a year, so my preferred other option would be to keep the format the same but run it over 2 weekends. Although i can see this mcausing more problems for some than booking a couple of days off work.

I guess i'm a work to play kind of guy

Harv.png?dl=1

I concur with Harv and Eamonn. 

The proposal I would have is to remove closed airports over the Pacific.  It would appear we could significantly reduce the route distances if we could use Hawaii as a port of call versus going up and over Japan/Alaska/Canada.

Travis.png?dl=1

Despite how much enjoy it.... I'll sacrifice my "Halfway 'Round the World" theme song...

so that I can concur with Eamonn, Harv & Travis.

(btw A*teens is a Rolf favorite).

"Do or do not" Regards,

Piling in on the consensus here.  I think that a perhaps unintended consequence of shortening the race, both in distance and duration, would result in less opportunities for someone to take a leg (unless the max leg distance were shortened as well to preserve the number of legs).  I also concur that running on consecutive weekends would be trouble.  It's difficult to commit to one entire weekend, let alone two. Shoot, I have trouble finishing the "fly at your own pace" races! :rolleyes: 

I agree with Eamonn's position (and Harv, Travis, and Rob).  There has been a decent balance of jet versus prop over the last couple of races, and I would hesitate to change it.  What I don't know is how much work it probably is for the Committee to find this balance in new and challenging ways every year.  I certainly respect any efforts to find efficiency/economy in the labor it probably takes to come up with a new approach every year.

On a "flight of fancy" (forgive the pun), if the Committee were concerned about how much time the race takes, you could eliminate the props entirely and go all jets, with vintage subsonic jet fighters (F-86, F9F, MiG-15/17, Hunter, Meteor, 262, etc.) substituting for the usual workhorses, but keeping leg distance the same.  I think there are plenty of good freeware and payware examples out there for both FS9 and FSX.  Might shave a little time off, but I don't know if it would be significant.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

I have to agree with the above. A full circumnavigation of the globe is crucial for the race to keep its status and appeal. Also flying from start to finish without break is part of the fun and the endurance and fatigue of the participants will show in the performance as in real world.

Would like some turboprop legs this year although I don't know any freeware ones.

Just my 2 cents...........

Hi All

I've been thinking about this, and I do believe we should a least stick to the AROUND the world idea. No half solutions here, please.

But what about making this year an all-jets event? Subsonic of course, but maybe with supersonic corridors?

That ought to speed up things, but not to twice the speed, though.

BRGDS

Sven