Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie Hall

Flight1 wxRE

Guest Tomlin

I was taking a gander at the Flight1 site and saw the weather add-on wxRE. It looks and sounds to be WONDERFUL. What are your thoughts? I especially like: Icing build up/Wake Turbulance/Smooth Wx Change transitions/Enroute Wx planningthanks,Eric T737NG builderwww.freewebs.com/flightlevel180

it is a previous version of Active Sky (for fs2002)You need Active Sky 2004.5 as mentioned above. It is AMAZING!!

Guest allblack

Here's a different perspective. I didn't find ActiveSky amazing at all.I guess it would be if you happen to stumble across some highly variable weather, but I feel the lack of being able to select pre-determined weather groups as per FS2004 undermines the product.I have happened across some variable weather once or twice since I bought it, and I agree it looks good, but this hit and miss approach leaves me to beleive I made a mistake in purchasing it.But as I've said to hifisim, that's my fault for making an assumption, not theirs.Just another view....CheersTim

Isnt the active sky program itself seperate and you have to open and run it and keep it open during your flight? for me thats the biggest negative. too bad it couldnt be a built-in program like fsnav

Guest Tomlin

Well, I guess for me since I live in Florida and fly from there mostly, there are huge wx changes quickly. Plus, for more realistic flights into and out of the florida/georgia area, I want the capability to see the TAF and other features of enroute wx. Will have to think about it a bit. $40 is steep right now and could be used for the flight deck project too...Eric

Hi Eric,Thanks for your interest in our products. You did see wxRE, mostly used for FS2002. If you fly with FS04 you'll want AS2004.5, only found at SimMarket.com.Edit: Yes, you will see the TAFs, enroute weather with our flight planner, and weather radar.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Yes, just another view from someone who didn't understand what he was buying...ActiveSky recreates current weather to a far greater degree of accuracy as is possible with the real weather downloads contained within FS (either 2002 or 2004) itself.You obviously thought it was something else...

Guest allblack

Put your name in your posts and we'll talk.And when you do, tell me where a comment has been made about the accuracy of the weather, or not as your point seems to be.Tim

In case you hadn't noticed I have my name in all my posts, AND use it as my screen name. I don't hide behind some fancy name like some people do.You clearly stated that ActiveSky is no good because it doesn't cause variable weather where there is none in the real world, that the weather themes in FS are better...

Guest allblack

No my friend, I hadn't noticed...unless your name is "Visit The Avsim IRC Channel". You're right on one thing, it certainly ain't fancy!As for the rest, nothing to be gained by continuing down that path.Bye. Got to suss out how to stop the ATR from barreling into the ground on approach at 50 feet. Much more important. This plane is tough, but awesome!Tim

Guest Tomlin

Hi JimThanks. Didnt know that a war would start. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead a buy it and have only used it for about 10 minutes so far and I think it will be great, but I have to read up on the manual and get the gist of everything so I can know how to use it to it's fullest capacity to get the most out of the hard earned dollars! I look forward to seeing how much better the weather should be dipicted, behave, and be forcasted!Seems as if it will be a must have for my flight deck project. www.freewebs.com/flightlevel180

You can save downloaded weather in AS2004.5. I place these compressed files in folders describing the situation. I now have a "library" of weather situations that I use that includes dynamic changes as appropriate on route. I also save national doprad/situation images in each folder I tag with the same date and time so I have a weather briefing. The advantage of running AS as an outside program allows me to do this without having FS9 loaded.In addition you can download archived weather from their site based on date and GMT. If you go to a weather site such as wunderground.com for your area of interest and look at their historical data you can determine the archive you wish to download.

"Here's a different perspective. I didn't find ActiveSky amazing at all.I guess it would be if you happen to stumble across some highly variable weather, but I feel the lack of being able to select pre-determined weather groups as per FS2004 undermines the product.I have happened across some variable weather once or twice since I bought it, and I agree it looks good, but this hit and miss approach leaves me to beleive I made a mistake in purchasing it.But as I've said to hifisim, that's my fault for making an assumption, not theirs.Just another view...."Why dont you just use the weather archive function of AS2004.5 and load up older METAR's that suit your requirements? Couple this with the TAF processing and you should be fine.....For me, the ability to fly anywhere in the world in accurate, real time weather is all I expected from the program.It delivers aplenty and renders cloudscapes I could only have dreamed about using the FS weather system. Not to mention the sudden pop up clouds and instant limited vis that the FS9 system seems plauged with.Regards,Glenn

Hi Eric,Thanks for the purchase! I hope that you will visit our forum here at AVSIM, a little bit further down the forum page. We make announcements there, post updates, and answer as many user questions as possible. Post over there or just stop by!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Hi All,I didn't post about this yet, but the time has come. After purchasing AS2004 Tim did have some concerns about our program. He and I did communicate a few times and he came to realize the limitations of our program. In posting his opinion he did nothing wrong and did not attack our product. I thank those who made valid suggestions to him. At this point if I could lock this thread I would, but I can't, so I am asking that this be respectfully ended.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest allblack

Hi Glenn,That's what I'm thinking about at the moment. It was something I was going to post on the AS forum page, but then the Flight1 ATR arrived in the post and I kind of got sidetracked...I guess when I find the time to understand METARS and TAF's I can look at this - I thought about using the archived weather function, and see how I can choose weather I like, as opposed to what Mother Nature has given at any particular time.As I've mentioned to Jim, I'm from New Zealand and like to fly here, but we have REALLY boring weather!I agree it's an awesome program - and although it didn't meet my expectations (which I'll say again is my fault) I need to take the time to find a way to set some weather up that I want at any particular time and save it.Now, if I didn't have to work five days a week....CheersTim

Guest panda234

Tim, I'd try and find the time, it really is awesome. It's one of 2 or 3 "must haves" for fs9. As you've prolly noticed, the support is awesome, and this isn't even the support forum, hehe. Give it an honest go, it'll really enhance your simming experience. And I have that problem at 50 feet too, that darn aircraft is just too realistic. :-)billg

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi Tim, I don't think Jeroen is likely to reply, so you could try looking at the AS support forum where I am sure you will find plenty of comments about the accuracy of the weather. I was wondering why you purchased ActiveSky if you were already happy with the built in weather themes in FS. I have to admit that I think the built in themes are excellent for when I don't want to fly in the current real weather. Bye for now.

Guest allblack

Hi Charlie,Though this subject is pretty much dead-wood, I'll give you the courtesy of a reply.I found the FS weather themes acceptable in the overall package, but after looking more and more at ActiveSky, I thought it would give me the same, but 100 times better.And it does. I've found one thunderstorm and it was sensational. (Again) I expected AS would offer themed weather as well as real-life. But it doesn't, and they don't advertise as such either. Just an assumption I made....In about three minutes I'm sussing out the archive weather function.CheerioTim

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi Tim, As long as you know when the particular weather you are looking for occurred and provided it is after the HiFi database was set up, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised when you try the archived weather. Also there is a member here called Scott Gridley who has made some weather files available here in the AvSim library which should interest you. I understand that he based his weather files on weather found with the AS weather program. If you do a search in the library with his name you should find his files. As I understand it I think his later one even works without AS but still gives the same quality of weather. Bye for now.