Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

JustFlight - Revolution X

Have had my finger hovering over the uninstall button for my Horizon VFR Gen X scenery for England and Wales (+ Treescapes addons) for the last few weeks with a plan to replace it with Orbx England and Wales and then today I saw this advertised on SimMarket.

Apparently it uses "ground-breaking new technological processes to inject a comprehensive Autogen layer into FSX, placing millions of houses, buildings, churches, trees and hedgerows in their real-world locations across England, Scotland and Wales. So, for the first time in FSX, every village, town and city is fully formed with its real-life streets and estates, and woods and hedgerows tracing the edges of real-life fields and the contours of the land."

The screenshots look pretty good and it has caused me to hesitate with my plans to replace the VFR Gen X photoreal scenery with Orbx, despite the fact that I purchased the relevant Orbx scenery around Christmas during their sale.

I just wondered if any other frequent UK flyers have tried this as yet? How does it look in use and is there a significant FPS hit or OOM effect, given the apparent large quantity of autogen combined with resource-hungry photoreal scenery?

Any feedback / reviews would be appreciated.

Bill

I am very happy with this product and would not hesitate to recommend it. One thing that might be worth bearing in mind is Earth Simulations are soon [?] to release their own full building and tree autogen for the entire UK which 'may' be even better than this.... but, until its released we won't know for sure, however, Darren and Vicky's work is alway top notch.

RevX does represent great value for money too.

Have had my finger hovering over the uninstall button for my Horizon VFR Gen X scenery for England and Wales (+ Treescapes addons) for the last few weeks with a plan to replace it with Orbx England and Wales and then today I saw this advertised on SimMarket.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I wouldn't recommend replacing Horizon VFR UK with Orbx ENG to be honest.

Now I say that without bias because (i) I love Orbx and am flying exclusively in Orbx US areas at the moment, and (ii) I have Orbx ENG installed at the moment rather than Horizon VFR UK (which I do also own).    But IMHO, Orbx ENG is their weakest product and you will soon miss the accuracy and realism of Horizon (especially with Treescapes).

The only real reason I still have Orbx ENG installed is sheer laziness - the install of Horizon VFR UK + Treescapes is quite an ordeal lol!!........ I just haven't gotten around to ringfencing 3 hours to get it all done.   :lol:

If I compare my own area of the UK in Orbx ENG, it just doesn't resemble reality at all.  There are roads running straight into rivers, large cities are reduced to tiny hamlets and well, although it's visually quite "nice" it's nothing like having the real thing, like Horizon VFR UK, especially with some 3D enhancement like Treescapes or Revolution X.

I will definitely be moving back to Horizon VFR UK soon, and picking up Revolution X as soon as I do.

Hi Dave,

I think one of the reasons I have been a little bit slow at replacing VFR Gen X with Orbx England / Wales were the mixed reviews, particularly of the Orbx England product. I had previously replaced the VFR Gen X Ireland series with Orbx Ireland, but that was a slightly easier decision as there were no treescapes available for Ireland and so it looked considerably less realistic and flat at low altitude than England / Wales with Treescapes. Knowing Ireland pretty well however I do miss the accuracy and detail of the Gen X Ireland scenery and am still in two minds as to whether the decision to replace it with Orbx was the right one! I was actually thinking of setting up a second FSX installation just for UK and Ireland using the Gen X scenery but that seems like a lot of trouble too! I do however try to reorientate my brain into accepting that Orbx is not a perfectly accurate replication of everything that is on the ground below, but this

is balanced by Orbx providing an amazing environment overall in which to fly. In general I feel that the Orbx scenery is fantastic, but perhaps it is at it's very best in areas you don't quite know so well, so that you don't find yourself looking for accurate details that are simply not there!!

Anyway I have decided to take the plunge on the basis of Novation's recommendation above and most of the comments on the other thread and have bought Revolution X and will keep the two Orbx products on ice for a little longer!

Well, if you decide to purchase it, it is in the AVSIM Market and we would appreciate your business. :biggrin:

Didn't know you had this available, but very happy to support Avsim - just waiting for my PayPal payment to be approved!

Bill

Hmmm....have installed this eventually (it was a long drawn out process!) and nothing seems to have changed despite maxing my autogen sliders! Maybe I am doing something wrong but as far as I can see I have followed the installation instructions precisely. Currently trawling the forums to try to find a solution and will feedback if / when I get this up and running. Otherwise I might be back to the Orbx / Gen X dilemma!

Bill

nothing seems to have changed despite maxing my autogen sliders!

So, you are seeing no Autogen over your GenerationX scenery?

Were you running any other Autogen such as Treescapes, or some of the freeware stuff that's out there?... Orbx FTX Global or other scenery packages that also come with Autogen?

If you look in one of your GenX regions Area/2.4m photo/Texture do you see lots of agn files?

I've just bought it today too.

Installation was a breeze, and the product includes a GUI where you simply specify which Photoscenery products you own (Just Flight Real Scenery, Horizon X, Tile Proxy, etc) and after selecting those it just took care of everything.

I've only had a quick 10 min flight from my local airport but so far I am VERY impressed!

Edited by Q_flyer

I have watched a few YouTube videos showcasing Revolution X, and I have to say that it does not impress me at all. The trees look incredibly sparse when compared to ES Treescapes, and the buildings look rather bland and lifeless. I am far more interested in the upcoming Autogenesis packages from Earth Simulations (detailed autogen on top of 30cm resolution photoscenery), although each of these will only cover a small portion of the UK (I think they will match each "Area" of the GenX scenery, which means that one volume will cover one third of the area of a GenX photographic scenery volume). However, that doesn't matter to me. High quality, high density scenery (within reason) is what I want, and Revolution X (based on what I have seen so far) is way off the mark.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Whilst it may still not be for everyone, and probably not for you Chris, I'd still say that the effect of Revolution X w/ Horizon X within the sim is far better than any screenshots I've seen of it so far.

It's the same with the Horizon X scenery itself; their own screenshots are pants!! ..... low resolution, poor AA, it amazes me they sold any units at all, with the screenshots that appear on the installer loading page.

However, in sim, with a high monitor resolution and good quality AA (for me nothing beats ATI Supersampling for Photoscenery), it's like a totally different product to that shown on the screenshots.

But like everything, it's probably not for everyone, as we all have different priorities, preferences and benchmarks.

Edited by Q_flyer

So, you are seeing no Autogen over your GenerationX scenery?

Were you running any other Autogen such as Treescapes, or some of the freeware stuff that's out there?... Orbx FTX Global or other scenery packages that also come with Autogen?

If you look in one of your GenX regions Area/2.4m photo/Texture do you see lots of agn files?

Almost no autogen - for example over Cardiff city just about 15-20 houses / industrial type buildings in one isolated area but otherwise most of the city had no autogen visible, just photoreal scenery.

I had Treescapes, but it was uninstalled and I have FTX Global which was set in FTX Central to Global (hybrid not checked). Have no freeware stuff.

In the Gen X regions there were thousands of AGN files in each of the 2.4m photo/Texture folders (varied from 20,000 to over 50,000).

The other thing I have noticed was that it seems to have messed up my UKXtreme scenery for EGCC, EGGP and EGNM which have disappeared, although all my other UKXtreme airports (have the whole collection) are intact!

Have now uninstalled Rev X and am thinking of making one further attempt at reinstallation before I make a leap to Orbx for this area too. If however I do reinstall, I am not quite sure what I need to do to nake a difference, because as Dave said, installation is a breeze!

Bill

I own both Treescapes and this, and I do agree the tree density is maybe not as high, but, you obviously have buildings as well... As much as I like Treescapes, it does look rather odd just having trees and not buildings. Autogenesis will almost certainly be a better product than RevX, but currently this is the best option if you want to combine UK photoscenery with full Autogen, and at £20 is great value... Looking forward to seeing ES's new 30cm scenery, even if my PC isn't, and I dread to think how P3D will cope with it :unsure:

This is where RevX shines - around towns and cities.

0WdIi.jpg

6xQLj.jpg

Tree density is not bad at all.

uoeZ.jpg

I have FTX Global which was set in FTX Central to Global (hybrid not checked).

I wonder if this is the problem... I only tried the Global Iceland demo and no matter what options I used it did suppress the RevX Autogen, so I removed it. It maybe worth checking with OrbX or JF to see if there is a compatibility issue with these products... and a fix.

This is where RevX shines - around towns and cities

I'm quite impressed and that is what I was expecting my cities to look like!! Nothing for it but to try again!

Bill

I'm quite impressed and that is what I was expecting my cities to look like!! Nothing for it but to try again!

Bill

Hi Bill... did you see my edit re: FTX Global?... I was compiling my post when you added yours.