@Ted

Have backed up courtesy of Acronis, so this is what I found with the Asus auto overclocking tool today...

1st attempt: It automatically rebooted and came back at 4.2 GHz. It then stress tested and nudged the frequency up. It took my CPU right up to 4.7GHz and then blue screened. It froze at the blue screen and didn't automatically reboot as I expected it to, so I hit the reset button. When it was back up and running again, it was at 4.7 GHz at a very high 1.480 volts. Temps in FSX were 49, 60, 37, and 32 for each core. I ran Prime 95 and it shot right up to 91 degrees.

2nd attempt: It rebooted at 4.2 GHz. I allowed the automated overclock to continue until it reached 4.4 GHz, and then I hit the stop button. No crashes, no blue screens, no reboots. There was an on screen message congratulating me for reaching 4.5 GHz. [Although I stopped it at 4.4] In Prime 95, temps were at 63, 73, 68, 66. Voltage was at 1.328. In FSX temps were 34, 49, 28, 30 for each core.

When I previously overclocked in the UEFI at 4.5, my voltage was at 1.304. However, I discovered a while ago that my OC was unstable and was crashing my system once every week or so, so I've been running without an overclock. Therefore, I would have to conclude that the Asus determined voltage of 1.328, is probably correct for my CPU. I most certainly do have a CPU that requires higher than average voltage.

My conclusion would be, that with the latest version of Turbo V Evo in Ai Suite, with the 3770K, that as long as you stop the process at a reasonable overclock and don't allow it to overclock to the max, it generates a voltage that seems about right. I haven't found any evidence of overvoltage.

It's worth bearing in mind though, that when Asus say Extreme in the GUI, they mean it, and it may well make your hair curl if you happen to be an overclocker that likes to run synthetic stress tests.

I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

It may well be that the bad reputation Asus auto overclocking software gets within the enthusiast community, may not be deserved.

My overclock is 4.5 ghz at 1.2 volts so you can understand why the auto overclock voltages were concerning to me. However, the main reason I removed the AI Suite II was because it seemed to be interfering with my manual overclock and readings in my third party monitoring softare utilities. I also had a number of BSODs during the overclocking process that may have corrupted my AI Suite and resulted in the interference behavior. I had to change a few other settings in the bios to obtain that low voltage, but I don't remember which ones. I just remember that I spent months researching the bios functions before I began overclocking.

Glad to hear that it is working well for you and hopefully others too.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I spoke too soon!

Now locking up in BF4.

If I remove the overclock, all is fine.

Crashed again with no overclock, but with memory set to XMP. So seems the issue is the RAM.

I need to check the XMP profile to make sure it's set everything as it should, but if it has, I'm thinking bad RAM, or possibly a bad IMC on the CPU.

No issue with optimised defaults, which sets the RAM frequency low.

What specs on your mems and XMP profile? the cpu 3770K or 4770K ?

You can test to raise  Dram voltage 0.02-0.03V over XMP voltage, if it get stable the XMP is little tight or bad stick.

IMC can need fine tuning only over 2600mhz normaly no problems from 2400 and down.

Ram: Corsair Dominator GT.

2133MHz, 9-11-10-27, 1.5V

http://www.corsair.com/en-in/dominator-gt-1-5v-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit-with-dhx-pro-connector-and-airflow-2-fan-cmt8gx3m2b2133c9

XMP sets the correct settings. It will run at default 1333 without issue, but XMP profile crashes. Crashes at 1866 MHz or thereabouts as well. Will only run at very low frequency.

This is without any CPU overclock at all.

Is it ver 4:13 on the sticks ? If so Its samsung HCH9 chip first would try is to give it more voltage or run it 9-11-11 .

If you want run them 9-11-11-31 1.65v 2400 mhz Its probaly the same chip as platinum 2400 cl9

Some ivy IMC have problem with trp10 from 2133 and upwards.

Martin, I have the same memory as you but the Corsair Platinum version. As westman said, its probably the same memory and I just paid more. :lol: 

Mine sticks are also rated at 1.5 volts. It is safe to run them up to 1.65 volts per the Corsair specs. In fact you can't buy the 2133 sticks at 1.5 volts anymore, they are all 1.65v rated. I have mine running at 2400-10-11-11-31-1T and 1.65v. I couldn't get them stable at cl9.

I have read that the XMP settings don't take sometimes and it is recommended to enter the memory settings manually. I suggest you do that and then boost the voltage a little as westman said if the manual settings don't work.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Okay thanks a lot chaps.

I can't get to my simming PC at the moment, but when I can I'll give your suggestions a bash.

I should add, I was also under the impression that the Dominator GT was the same RAM as the Platinum, but without the fancy LED light bar.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Currently trying 2133 10-11-11-31 at 1T 1.65 volts.

So far okay, but it has been known to crash any time within two weeks, so crossing fingers.