Sign in to follow this  
silentsage

CPU Parking

There is a topic in this forum* that discusses CPU parking, and it has been locked.  In that thread, there is a link to a post that ostensibly discusses why CPU parking is a bad idea.  When you go to that link, the text for that post is missing - the title is there, but the actual text is missing.

Could I please ask whoever provided that link to please explain why disabling CPU parking is a bad idea?  It's getting a lot of attention in other games, and appears to be successful and witjhout risks (though I could be wrong).

FYI, I'm an electrical engineer whith 30 years experience in designing motherboards for Intel processors.  The concept seems sound to me but, if not. I'd like to understand why.  I've tested it on my system and it is a huge improvement.

Thanks.

* Since this thread was moved, the topic the OP is referring to may be found here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/432634-bad-idea-regedit-for-windows-7-microstutters/

Edited by n4gix
Added link to the topic referred to by the OP.

Dave Symanow

to me coreparking is not a good or bad thing as its a power saving feature and if you can disable it with ease by using the high performance power management option so using a third party app to disable it is just plane silly.

Some old apps in the past have had issues with windows power management but those apps have been updated for a long time now.

My cpu's never park due to my power management settings and this should be the same for most others.

-Paul-

I'll just chime in and say the claim of "without risks" is always false. The more you push your CPU, the greater the risk of overheat, failure.... etc...

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "P3D Tips and Tricks" to "The Prepar3d General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

The topic in the "Tips and Tricks" forum was locked (as are all posts there) because it is a forum for "answers" only, no questions...

...which is why this thread was moved from "Tips and Tricks" to the P3D discussion forum.

The tip in that thread is very old, and quite likely not at all relevant to today's operating systems.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This topic is quite active for other types of games, I'm not sure why there is such reluctance to discuss it here.  A number of folks have said it reduces microstutters in quite a few different games (including FSX), and that suggests there is something behind it.

Let's try to keep responses data-driven.  If there are facts about this (positive or negative), it would be good to know them.  If not, we can all move on.  Philosophical responses not linked to data are not all that helpful.

FYI, the CPU park settings are not affected by the power settings in Windows (i.e., setting opwer to "high performance" does not change them).

Thanks.

Dave Symanow

Fact: preventing core parking increases base operating temperature of your CPU, by quite a bit.

You've been told in other forums that this isn't a good idea, and it's not a good idea.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

WarpD - In my job, I design Intel motherboards, and work with quite a few folks who also design hardware and software using Intel CPUs.  None of us have ever heard of CPU parking increasing CPU temperatures - it just does't work that way.  If you have actual data, or can point to benchmarks that demonstrate your claim, we'd like to see it.  Our Intel and Microsoft reps don't have issue with using it, but perhaps you have some information that they lack.

StoreydTrain - Someone in another forum, using a different name, wrote a response that is worded very similarly to yours, and I'll post this same reply there.  I read the thread that you listed, and many others, before posting my original question.  The thread you quote points out that Microsoft itself, in published documents, acknowledges that disabling CPU parking improves performance.  Also, the thread contains comments by several folks who tried it and got positive results.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but when I posted the original question, I was hoping that someone could discuss some of the details as to why CPU parking may, or may not, help with the software architecture used in FSX and/or P3D.  That's why I posted the same question on the P3D site, where I asked the LM experts for their opinions.  

Hand -waving arguments not backed by data just don't help anyone. 

Dave Symanow

Hand -waving arguments not backed by data just don't help anyone. 

Are you on a mission now? Did you try it and what was your experience? Don't act like a preacher man.

Spirit

WarpD - In my job, I design Intel motherboards, and work with quite a few folks who also design hardware and software using Intel CPUs.  None of us have ever heard of CPU parking increasing CPU temperatures - it just does't work that way.  If you have actual data, or can point to benchmarks that demonstrate your claim, we'd like to see it.  Our Intel and Microsoft reps don't have issue with using it, but perhaps you have some information that they lack.

It's not CPU parking that increases CPU temps... it's disabling CPU parking that raises CPU temps and I know because I actually did it to see what it would do. I have a water cooled i7 990x... and it pretty much sits at 35*C. When I disable the parking, it climbs to over 40*C and sits there with the water cooler's fan on high. The reason is simple... with the CPUs (cores) constantly powered up (not parked) they generate more heat. Shouldn't you know this already???

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

In the old days without cpu parking, weren't all cpus parked?  AFAIK, if you keep your temps within intel's specs you can expect your chip to last as long as they say it will. 

@dsymanow

Why don`t you reply in the topic i mentioned, there is much more data/information in there.

And that topic is still open for discussion.

So why the need to start a new one.

btw with "It probably doesn`t work how you think it works." i meant exactly what i described in the topic i mentioned, and i don`t see a need to repeat that here.

Please reply here so that people who read this have the rest of the info with it to make up their mind.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/432643-regedit-for-windows-7-microstutters/

In short i have doubts that your finding is actually what you say it is, mainly because the whole powermanagement system works in a more mysterious way than meets the eye. (FYI i hate the way the powermanagement structure "works" in windows)