Sign in to follow this  
jonjo69

New joiner - pointer to essentials list

Hi everyone,

Haven't touched a flight sim. since FS2004. Not sure why, other pursuits etc. Looked at FSX a few years back in 2009'ish but a colleague at the time with MS didn't think it had long to live and again I found other things to interest me. Anyway, it was through a new job with the military that I found out that LH had bought the code and was amazed when they released Prepar3d to the general public, albeit with their odd EULA and that if you at any point find it entertaining, you must immediately stop using it and remove it from your system. I myself am a mature student studying geology in my spare time and so legally I guess I'm fine.

I digress.

What I was hoping to find was a list of what 'the well informed' believe are the essential add-ons/utilities. I know people will have different views etc., but without it you can blow a budget in minutes. From reading, this is what I've gathered.

FSCommander

VOXATC

REX 4

FTX Global

FTX Vector?

FTX Region England (tis where I live)

FTX Region Australia (tis where I like to holiday)

Does this make sense? Do they work together? Rig is (or will be when Apple get off their ***** *****), dual boot (Win7) Mac Pro, 8-core, 32GB ram, GTX780s ...

Jonjo69

My essentials list would start at a more fundemental software level. FSUIPC and a weather engine are must-haves for me.

In the P3D Forum one of our Moderators has set up an excellent compatibility list with FSX addons that might work with P3D.  32GB of RAM is way too much RAM and it will never be used in FSX or P3D.  Perhaps the most RAM that will ever be used in FSX or P3D is 8GB's.  System limitations but it might be good if you ever install a 64 bit game so it is not a complete waste.  FSX/P3D are limited by Virtual Address Space (VAS) so hopefully you have a 64 bit OS.  A 64 bit OS can utilize up to 4GB's of VAS whereas a 32 bit OS can take up to 3GB's of VAS but only with the /3GB switch.  Both P3D and FSX are 32 bit applications and they both work well in 64 bit environments.  But, if you turn your settings up too high, you will certainly run out of VAS and you will see out of memory messages with the following faulting modules: ntdll.dll or api.dll.  AVSIM has an excellent FSX Configuration Guide which can be mostly used with P3DV2 too.  The FSX Configuration Guide can be found to the right of this forum under Hot Spots.  We have an AVSIM CTD Guide too which can help you if you encounter any freezes or crashes.

Welcome to AVSIM!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Not much benefit from Global and Vector in case you want to stick to those two FTX regions. (Otherwise it DOES make sense!)

A weather addon and a payware aircraft may make more sense.

And 8 GB of RAM IS enough.